Failed Step 2, haven't released USMLE transcript on ERAS! What should I do?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nh48

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was about to submit my ERAS app for EM when I saw in my email that I failed my step 2 CK by a point :eek: despite passing Step 1 in flying colors, I don't know what happened in my Step 2 but am now devastated because I have yet to release my USMLE transcript in my ERAS app (step 1 scores + step 2 CK scores):scared:. I have ample research experience and publications, good rotation scores, basically your average EM applicant, but now my step 2 CK score is going to destroy my application :( .

I know I am caught in a pretty crappy situation, and I badly need advice.

Should I:
A) withhold my USMLE transcript all together in my ERAS app? (this way programs won't even see my Step 1 score, i.e. I am obviously hiding stuff)

B) Release my USMLE transcript and cross my fingers?

Or...
C) can I withhold my USMLE transcript on ERAS and only send in my Step 1 paper transcript individually to each program?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I was about to submit my ERAS app for EM when I saw in my email that I failed my step 2 CK by a point :eek: despite passing Step 1 in flying colors, I don't know what happened in my Step 2 but am now devastated because I have yet to release my USMLE transcript in my ERAS app (step 1 scores + step 2 CK scores):scared:. I have ample research experience and publications, good rotation scores, basically your average EM applicant, but now my step 2 CK score is going to destroy my application :( .

Should I:
A) withhold my USMLE transcript all together in my ERAS app? (this way programs won't even see my Step 1 score, i.e. I am obviously hiding stuff)

Or...
C) can I withhold my USMLE transcript on ERAS and only send in my Step 1 paper transcript individually to each program?

Thanks.

Do not know about C, but I would say you just about HAVE to release your scores.

My suggestion is release, head forward, get in line to retake the exam ASAP. You have plenty of time to get it taken and passed before rank time. I think chances are that some programs will still interview you espically if Step I is near or above 'average'.

I dunno where you were hoping to go or where you are at regionally, but I would certainly cast a VERY wide net (apply to 50-60+ programs) and make sure you pick a few off the beaten path.

You should still get some interviews and you can let them know you dunno what happened but you are retaking/retook the exam and you will personally contact them when your score is in. Cross your fingers and hope you do very well the second time around.

Good luck...

you can only do (B).

c is impossible.

a is possible but no program will interview anyone without step 1 score.

sorry to tell you this. :(

Members don't see this ad :)

Should I:

Or...

Thanks.

this is bad news, I feel horrible for you. Any chance the usmle transcript is backed up ad submitting it would only submit the step I cause it's not done processing yet? How soon can you retake? Much sympathy to you! :(

Greatly appreciate your advice, it's great to hear that there's still hope. I know realistically my match is royally screwed, and now it's more like trying to figure out an approach for damage control. I will certainly apply to 60+ programs now. Thanks for your advice.