Failed step 3, advice/help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AMIB04

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got my step3 result and I failed by 2 points.

I am an IMG applying this year for the 2018 match, so my question is how bad does this look, I might have enough time to re-take before September 15, but don't know if with enough time to have the new result by then as I really don't want to risk it.

But my real question is how are my chances, will programs make a big deal out of it if I dont have a passing score by the time of application? my CV is actually very good 2 years of US clinical experience, publications, volunteer, research, work, etc, with good LORs and step1 214, step2 241.

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

So I just got my step3 result and I failed by 2 points.

I am an IMG applying this year for the 2018 match, so my question is how bad does this look, I might have enough time to re-take before September 15, but don't know if with enough time to have the new result by then as I really don't want to risk it.

But my real question is how are my chances, will programs make a big deal out of it if I dont have a passing score by the time of application? my CV is actually very good 2 years of US clinical experience, publications, volunteer, research, work, etc, with good LORs and step1 214, step2 241.

Thanks in advance!!

It completely depends on the program you're applying to and specialty. How desperate is the program? Do they normally fill all their positions? Your CV and application really do look great. I'm kind of shocked you didn't pass Step 3 with a 241 on Step 2. Were there special circumstances you could use to help explain it away? That might help. The hardest thing for any of us IMGs is to be accepted to interview. Once at the interview it's your time to shine. Anything can be explained away. I think it would be useful to repeat it and pass, but only if you are certain you will pass. If you get interviews if you take it prior to their submission of rank list and show that you pass that will do a lot to reassure them.

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for your feedback, A lot has happened in my personal life this 2017, it could explain the step 3, but like you said, I am concern that they won't even grant me an interview.
I have 3 more weeks to decide whether to present it or not before applying. still wondering!

First it depends on what you are applying to. Hard to advise without knowing that. Could have a shot but it will definitely limit your interviews.

I am applying to Family and Internal medicine, I have some connections that may help me get 3-4 interviews, outside of those I don't know really what to expect. I am guessing the hard part would be getting the interview? or will it also affect when ranking? even if I do great on the interview.

I am applying to Family and Internal medicine, I have some connections that may help me get 3-4 interviews, outside of those I don't know really what to expect. I am guessing the hard part would be getting the interview? or will it also affect when ranking? even if I do great on the interview.
You will have better luck with FM. Should still get interviews just not as many. Just apply and see what you get. Hit IMG friendly and less known programs.

How did you have US clinical experience, publications, volunteer, research, work?

I can't speak to how interviews are given out (since that is the admission committee) but my fam med program did interview applicants who had previous failures of step 1 or 2 with subsequent passes. We did not have anyone interview who failed step 3 because I none of our applicants had taken step 3 at time of applying as 4th year med students.

I can't say how the IMG status would influence the decision (I know it is very program dependent) but with your average Step 1 and awesome Step 2 scores, you would still be presenting to a fam med program from a fairly good position. I would have a SHORT explanation (I am very long-winded- you should be shorter, haha) of what happened and how you fixed i.

For example: "I was very surprised to fail Step 3 by just two points, especially after I was able to have so much improvement moving from Step 1 to Step 2. In retrospect, my attention was divided during my last few weeks of studying because of a particularly difficult rotation/my dad was ill/I had health issues, etc. Looking at my score report, I did well in most sections, but did not review the pediatric and OBGYN material as much as I needed to. It had also been several months since I have been on these rotations on the wards and the material was not fresh in my mind. This test really emphasizes for me how important it is to continually revise material,especially since there is such a breadth of information required for family med. I have made a point to set aside a 20 minute window to review old material each evening and have signed up to re-take the exam in November. I feel confident that the changes I've made to my studying will lead to a passing score.

(Or something like that. Again- I'm very long winded! Be shorter! lol)

*** do not say u failed step 3 due to a difficult rotation ***

Reactions: 1 users
*** do not say u failed step 3 due to a difficult rotation ***

While I admit it's always good to "spin" a flaw, if you had a particularly difficult rotation, let's say inpatient, and you were working very late hours and prioritizing clinical experience over studying, isn't that a valid thing to discuss? And that you realized you needed to re-evaluate your time management?

Just from my own experience trying to "bull****" my way out of situations, I've realized it works out better for me to be honest, even if I come across negative in the scenario. It seems to get a more positive response than me trying to exaggerate some other minor stressor (like a family illness) since the excuse comes out fake and unconvincing *shrugs*

While I admit it's always good to "spin" a flaw, if you had a particularly difficult rotation, let's say inpatient, and you were working very late hours and prioritizing clinical experience over studying, isn't that a valid thing to discuss? And that you realized you needed to re-evaluate your time management?

Just from my own experience trying to "bull****" my way out of situations, I've realized it works out better for me to be honest, even if I come across negative in the scenario. It seems to get a more positive response than me trying to exaggerate some other minor stressor (like a family illness) since the excuse comes out fake and unconvincing *shrugs*

So you have problems taking a test because of a hard rotation. What will you do when you have a patient's life in your hands and you're busy because you have a bunch of other sick patients too? This excuse won't look favorably on you.

Reactions: 3 users
I can't speak to how interviews are given out (since that is the admission committee) but my fam med program did interview applicants who had previous failures of step 1 or 2 with subsequent passes. We did not have anyone interview who failed step 3 because I none of our applicants had taken step 3 at time of applying as 4th year med students.

I can't say how the IMG status would influence the decision (I know it is very program dependent) but with your average Step 1 and awesome Step 2 scores, you would still be presenting to a fam med program from a fairly good position. I would have a SHORT explanation (I am very long-winded- you should be shorter, haha) of what happened and how you fixed i.

For example: "I was very surprised to fail Step 3 by just two points, especially after I was able to have so much improvement moving from Step 1 to Step 2. In retrospect, my attention was divided during my last few weeks of studying because of a particularly difficult rotation/my dad was ill/I had health issues, etc. Looking at my score report, I did well in most sections, but did not review the pediatric and OBGYN material as much as I needed to. It had also been several months since I have been on these rotations on the wards and the material was not fresh in my mind. This test really emphasizes for me how important it is to continually revise material,especially since there is such a breadth of information required for family med. I have made a point to set aside a 20 minute window to review old material each evening and have signed up to re-take the exam in November. I feel confident that the changes I've made to my studying will lead to a passing score.

(Or something like that. Again- I'm very long winded! Be shorter! lol)
thanks a lot for this!! actually I didnt long into the forum because I retake the step 3 just yesterday!! hoping now is a pass for sure!!!

and I dont adress my fail of step 3 in my PS, but I did go through a very hard start 2017, a lot lot happened, maybe it affected me more than I thought, but i didnt want to excused myself on my PS, so all i did is told my story, showing what i have done, my difficulties and how i have manage to overcome that.
by the way, in what program are you? maybe i can apply there and get a chance!!!
again thanks for your reply!! have a great day!

So you have problems taking a test because of a hard rotation. What will you do when you have a patient's life in your hands and you're busy because you have a bunch of other sick patients too? This excuse won't look favorably on you.
I understand both points, and is never good to justify
I agree, is not good to excuse yourself, a fail is a fail, but if you learned from it, then the story you tell is important.

How did you have US clinical experience, publications, volunteer, research, work?

My home school has agreements with hospitals in the US and in our last year we do our clerkships in the US, also after I graduated I did my social service in the US in a primary care group, allowing me to have 1 more year of USCE, I published looking for opportunities in different places to co-write case reports.
volunteer, you can go any place and ask to volunteer.
and for work, i worked in the primary care group i did my social service, half a week i would be at clinics helping with patients and learning from the doctors, and the other half helping in the corporate offices developing health care plans.
so pretty much I been very busy!! almost 24 x 7

Reactions: 1 user