Failing the first block exam?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbtk18

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really feel like I am going to---completely under estimated the amount of material.

Will I be screwed for the semester?

:(

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like I am underestimating things as well. I keep telling myself it can't be THAT hard.

Even if you fail the first exam, it shows you where you need to improve and help your study habits. I think once you get over the hurdle of the first block exam then the stress will be downhill from there. The material will probably continue to go uphill but you will know what to expect

It does not screw you for the semester. Just work harder for the next one and you will be fine. Been there! Worry just enough to study harder.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The material isn't hard, the volume is. You need to keep on top of your studies EVERY DAY. This isn't like undergrad where you could take the weekend (or week) off and still be fine. Get some help with your study habits, talk to your professors NOW, and get into a study group that meets regularly and works hard.

The material isn't hard, the volume is. You need to keep on top of your studies EVERY DAY. This isn't like undergrad where you could take the weekend (or week) off and still be fine. Get some help with your study habits, talk to your professors NOW, and get into a study group that meets regularly and works hard.

I second this. I'm just finishing up my fourth week of med school. Last Saturday I didn't study at all because I wasn't in the mood. I paid for it on Sunday. Normally I put in 7-8 hours a day on the weekends. Last Sunday I had to put in 12 just to catch up with the material. I was still behind a bit this week so I've had to put in 5-6 hours a nite to catch up instead of my usual 4 hours a nite. Remember that Saturdays and Sundays are your days to review and go over all the material you have learned the week before. Don't waste this opportunity.

update: pretty sure I did ok.

Like they say---you know more than you think you do

I remember the very first test almost four years ago. I overstudied the **** out of it. I recommend studying until you are sick, until you get a hang of your capabilities; then slack as appropriate.

I failed my first exam and was very close to dropping out after that. Decided to use that fear to study that much harder and survived the first couple of years. Just study til from when you wake up to the time you sleep. You'll pass. And talk to your upperclassmen!! They will have old exams, notes, and priceless advice

No, it won't tank you for the semester. But as others have mentioned, you can't slack or have other commitments. I learned that the hard way.

One of my former classmates used to get through the material 9 times before an exam. Didn't matter how much sleep she got. And she did all the reading, went to class, took notes and did the whole bit. She was a studying machine.

We used the general rule of:

4-5 times through - C
6-7 - B
8+ - A

I have heard the 4 hrs/day, 6-8 hrs/day on weekend (review) rule. It is a good standard.

Perhaps the #1 rule of med school studying - DO NOT FALL BEHIND.

I studied like a MANIAC for first block exams but have realized it really isn't that necessary, and am chilling out a little more now that I know what to expect. It is a good approach!

Glad to hear you pulled out a pass!

We used the general rule of:

4-5 times through - C
6-7 - B
8+ - A

There's a very similar rule for # of exam failures during medschool

1-2 failures: time to change your study habits
3-4 failures: time to repeat a year
5+ failures: time to consider a new profession