Fair critical care salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess since this debate about student loans all started with my post, I should weigh in...um no thanks to the student loan advice. It’s like you read a book called Financial Planning for Dummies and then decided to give some ridiculous kindergarten level advice about my financial situation without asking a damn question. Do you know about the health of my children and wife?!!! Do you know my extended family dynamic? Do you know anything about my personal life? No. If I needed over simplified financial advice with an extra helping of self righteousness and preaching, I would have asked for it.
And if people would read the details, I haven’t saved 100k in these few years, my NET WORTH has increased by almost 650k in the past 4 years or so. Our net worth has increased by an average of 13k/month for about 48 months. Is that enough? Not really interested in opinions on that. My wife and I have decided it’s enough.
As for the student loans, if I don’t have them, they won’t pay them. I won’t make that money. It will be gone. I have made a decision that I am willing to deal with this situation for 120 months so that this job will pay my loans. Every dollar I put toward my student loans myself would be a dollar lost in compensation. Would it be worth paying off earlier to buy my freedom? Maybe, but that is less money for my wife and kids. Again, this is a personal choice my wife and I have made, and I’m not really looking for opinions on that matter.
And as a final note on my personal finances. I NEVER complained about my student loans. It’s a free country and I made a decision as a free thinking adult to take on that debt. That debt is no ones burden but my own. I see it as the greatest investment I have ever and will ever make. If anything, I am thankful that I had the opportunity to take out those loans and pay for med school 100% based on my future earnings. Without those loans, I wouldn’t be a physician. Alas, though, I also fall into the tangential trap...
To get back to my true question...
I asked a fairly specific question, and unfortunately I have gotten very few responses because everyone has been talking about how I spend and save my money. I have access to average salary data, but I don’t always believe it. It’s helpful to hear real life stories.
What do people think is fair compensation for 14, 16, 18, and 20 twelve hour ICU shifts per month. (Or some other combo of ICU, anesthesia, etc.) Do people get an overtime premium? What is people’s average hourly rate?
I was a little vague in my OP. I make between 200 and 250 an hour, but get an overtime bonus which takes it to about 300/hr for every hour worked above 14 twelve hour shifts per month. My loans are paid on top of this. They pay around 50k/yr for this.
I am starting to a suspect not only is this fair, but it is pretty good and I should be satisfied with my compensation.
As someone stated before, I am “pounding sand” and it’s hard, but I don’t mind pounding sand if I believe it’s fair, and that pounding of sand leads to a better and more secure life for my wife and children.
And thanks to those who have weighed in on the salary job data!
Sound like you are doing well. Would be nice if you could help out the rest of us who may be interested in busting tail for a bit to make this kinda money for a short while.
Asking for a friend.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can make 500k for half year why don’t people work full year and make a mil

If you can make 500k for half year why don’t people work full year and make a mil

Because you're not actually working half a year. You're working 80+ hours in 7 days (this is only time spent physically in the hospital, not including night time call coverage if your group doesn't have an intensivist stay in the hospital overnight)... you're essentially doing at least 2 weeks worth of work in a week. One could get the wrong impression from this thread that CCM is an "easy" way to make loads of cash. CCM is consistently listed among the specialties with the highest burnout. Some weeks can be brutal, especially around this time of the year. I can't speak for everyone but if I have a busy week, I personally need most of the "off" week to recover.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Because you're not actually working half a year. You're working 80+ hours in 7 days (this is only time spent physically in the hospital, not including night time call coverage if your group doesn't have an intensivist stay in the hospital overnight)... you're essentially doing at least 2 weeks worth of work in a week. One could get the wrong impression from this thread that CCM is an "easy" way to make loads of cash. CCM is consistently listed among the specialties with the highest burnout. Some weeks can be brutal, especially around this time of the year. I can't speak for everyone but if I have a busy week, I personally need most of the "off" week to recover.

damn thx for that insight

What's good about making money if you never have time to enjoy it?

Reactions: 3 users