Fair mistake, harsh outcome from PD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rosings

Reaction score
So I need some advice from the 'beehive mind' over here. I made a bad mistake in therapy with a patient, trying to make things a bit lighter with a that's what she said joke. Obviously I shouldn't do that again but that patient was very uptight and now my PD is making a huge deal. He says I have a pattern of 'bad boundaries' related to doing to many primary care things for a patients but seriously has he had insurance!!! Anyway my patients are all rallying around me but I'm worried I could get kicked out and don't know the best way to get The better of him on this round.

Members don't see this ad.

Seek extra supervision on these topics and document it. Demonstrate that you're trying to learn. Avoid boundary issues. Stop being a PCP, your program director is right that generally that's you falling victim to the patient's poor boundaries. It's certainly not a boundary violation but it does sound like maybe some crossings. Be nice. Don't argue. Keep your head down otherwise. Reach out to your union if you have one. Reach out to a contract attorney if you don't and you really are at risk for being kicked out.

I can't really give any more detailed advice than that.

Reactions: 7 users
I agree . If you are worried about getting kicked out, the last thing you want to be doing is trying to "get the better" of your program director.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I need some advice from the 'beehive mind' over here. I made a bad mistake in therapy with a patient, trying to make things a bit lighter with a that's what she said joke. Obviously I shouldn't do that again but that patient was very uptight and now my PD is making a huge deal. He says I have a pattern of 'bad boundaries' related to doing to many primary care things for a patients but seriously has he had insurance!!! Anyway my patients are all rallying around me but I'm worried I could get kicked out and don't know the best way to get The better of him on this round.

Stop. Halt. You need to stop being defensive immediately. I can ID three defensive statements just in these 4 lines of text. You need to get out of this mindset immediately. You screwed up, you were inappropriate, you made a mistake. All you should be saying is "Sorry Dr. Program Director, I understand my mistake Dr. Program Director, it won't happen again Dr. Program Director". Stop trying to justify what happened or any other actions they're perceiving as inappropriate boundaries.

I agree, double your supervision time right now. Show them you are trying to work on this mistake and gain more supervision around proper therapy boundaries. Unless your PD is asking for feedback from other patients, do not try to "rally" your other patients around you.

Reactions: 7 users

Your *patients* are rallying around you? As in you told them your higher ups are concerned about you?

That's an entire bullfight's worth of red flags on its own. Your patients should not be embroiled in your supervision issues. I agree with the above posters--seek more supervision NOW and show you understand boundaries. Stop wallowing in aggrievement. Follow the standards of care in your clinic. Stop viewing this as a competition with your PD.

Reactions: 5 users
Wow, some harsh responses from the woke police!!! But thanks to whoever nominated my post for the trophy, obviously some people can see that caring for your patients isn't always as easy as 1-2-3 and sometimes food and conversation comes first. Anyway, obviously no help is gonna come here, kinda scary if you ask me

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
This is either a troll or you are in for a world of trouble, I really hope it’s the former.

Reactions: 6 users
Wow, some harsh responses from the woke police!!! But thanks to whoever nominated my post for the trophy, obviously some people can see that caring for your patients isn't always as easy as 1-2-3 and sometimes food and conversation comes first. Anyway, obviously no help is gonna come here, kinda scary if you ask me

Totally nonsensical (this isn’t reddit buddy nobody gives posts awards) and smells like a troll.

But if you want real advice, invite your PD to your house for an “apology” sausage dinner, then when you get them to ask “can I have another sausage please” drop another “that’s what she said” joke. Alpha move, your PD will be so stunned by this power play they’ll automatically graduate you on the spot and this will all be in the rear view mirror.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Friend,

You've gotten some very, very good advice here. Humbly ask your program director and other senior physicians for guidance. There's no shame in being wise enough to admit when mistakes have been made.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.