Falcon v KAPLAN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

europun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HAs anyone out there actually taken a Falcon course (the one in dallas)...is it any good or is it all hype....how does it compare to KAPLAN...Also if anyone outthere has any experience with the following advice would be greatly appreciated:
Im from NYC but attend school in PuertoRico...I dont want to take a review in PR but KAPLAN wont let me sign up for their review in NY (something about SUNY students are the only ones allowed) THis is why im looking into Falcon....are there any solutions to my problem?

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed Falcon and they sent me this:

Falcon = 120 hrs
Kaplan = 54 hrs
Princeton Review = 102 hrs
Exam Krackers = 72

Although we are condensed into 3 weeks you can see it is a very intense course and you
will get plenty of class instruction. Kind of like boot camp for the MCAT ha :).

Application help will take place on nights and weekends.

6 Practice Tests with 100s of questions.

Most if not all of our instructors had previously taught for Princeton Review or Kaplan
so have plenty of experience.

Our course covers both material and test strategy where as most prep courses cover test
strategy.

Advantages: Meet other students from around the nation. Get good advice from current
medical students or Doctors in Residency. Possibly even letters of recommendation from
instructors. Patented studying technique taught to all of our students.

search for reviews on the net.........from what I can gather, falcon is pretty useless........make sure u do ur research before u fork over any money

Members don't see this ad :)
BuMasters said:
I emailed Falcon and they sent me this:
Falcon = 120 hrs
Kaplan = 54 hrs
Princeton Review = 102 hrs
Exam Krackers = 72
Although we are condensed into 3 weeks you can see it is a very intense course and you
will get plenty of class instruction. Kind of like boot camp for the MCAT ha :).

Wait, we are talking about Step 1 of the USMLE, right?

i took falcon recently and remember searching all over the internet for falcon experiences/info. there was a bunch of "i know ppl who took falcon and they said it sucked" posts. not helpful. so here's my contribution:

something about kaplan doesnt click with me--i have their subject books, i used qbank the first time, i have qbook, etc so i felt like i knew what i'd get if i went to kaplan. the only reason i went to falcon is for the tutoring, and this, i think, is huge. this is what separates falcon from the rest (besides their patented method.....whatever.) so saying this, i was REALLY surprised that only a handful, max 10 ppl, would go to these tutoring sessions which are nightly with the instructor who gave the lecture.

i think that if you put in A LOT when you're there, you will get a lot out of it. if you studied everyday when you were there and asked questions when you were unsure, did questions, studied really hard post-falcon etc etc and then you failed step 1, you're allowed to bring up beef with falcon. but if you studied 2-3hrs everyday and then did squat on weekends and postfalcon, and you failed, and then you bitch and moan about how much XYZ course sucked, give me a break.

i walked away from the course with an overall good impression.
my overall good impression is without a doubt due to the AWESOME TEACHERS!!! this is something they don't elaborate on their website and one of the main questions i had about the course. they are great teachers. they make clinical connections, really make you remember the stuff. most of them are relatively young docs (either last year in residency or a few years out), but all are 'experts' in their field---ie the pharm guy is a MD, but he also has a phd in pharmacology. i think 99% of the teachers are actual MDs, i think maybe only 1 or 2 max are strictly phd. all of them are from top schools- so they are definately comparable to kaplan teachers. maybe even better but i didn't take kaplan so who knows. one of the guys also teaches/teached for kaplan too.
the neuro teacher was beyond awesome. and hilarious. i feel pretty confident with neuro now. not to say i'm going to knock all the neuro questions all dead, but i think i can get an avg of 75% right and in my book, this is pretty damn good.

some advice i would give to those going there/planning to go there: mainly i would read beforehand but don't kill yourself. you def don't want to burn out by the time you get to dallas. even a little bit helps because once you get there, things are crazy. you go through like billions of pages in a day. btw i thought the isolation of the program (living in a hotel with strangers miles and miles away from home) was, yes, kind of sad/lonely at times but ultimately really beneficial.

ok hope this helps bc my fingers are tired now :)

Last edited:
I'm currently choosing between falcon and Pass Program. I've found a lot of comments on all review preps at ValueMD (for Caribbean students). Here's my current concern. I'd be doing the pittsburgh program in a holiday inn--no car, no more than 2 treadmills at the gym, no kitchen, etc. Not having the resources to relieve angst (ie working out) or get out of the area when I need concerns me. Was this an issue for your/your classmates?
Also, Pass is Monday through Friday, with extra tutoring sessions. Falcon is Monday through Saturday, no extra tutoring, but you can meet with your teachers after class if need be. Did you really have enough time to study everything you needed to, after class? I know the method involves recording your notes. Do people follow the method? And if so, do they also have time to do practice questions every night in addition?

It feels like choosing one of these programs is so overwhelming. The fact that so much emphasis is put into one test is so frustrating.

I would recommend Pass Program. I haven't taken it but I wish I would have instead of Kaplan. I've watched some of the Pass videos and Dr. Francis seems like an awesome teacher! I have many friends that took both programs and they all seemed to like Pass over Kaplan.

Kaplan teaches you the basics while Pass incorporates everything together.

Kaplan was useful in the sense that I did med school in Poland and I needed a lot of reviewing since most subjects there are not taught well at all! They teach you all the subjects individually. Pass Program integrates every thing together by organ system. I had a lot of amazing doctors in Kaplan but I didn't like that everything wasn't tied in together.