Fall 2012 MPH Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still no Columbia on SOPHAS. Grrrrrrr....

I'm not sure if it's the matter of Mailman not being on SOPHAS yet, but I'm starting to lose interest...

Members don't see this ad.

Harvard, Yale and Berkeley: submitted!!!

and waiting for Columbia...

good luck everyone, wish to see you there...

Hello Guys,
I can see everyone is doing well to keep up with deadlines. Too sad for me. I am last minute man :p
Anyways, Wats up with columbia. I think I'm getting fed up with their demo.
I received my toefl score 2 days ago and had 89. Please someone tell me this ok.
I'm really confused as to whether I can e-submit on sophas before I they get my scores.
Also 1 very important question: When I took the GRE in July this year, I requested my score to be sent to 2 sophas schools. however, now i want to add 2 sophas schools. Do I need still need to request ets to send score to these schools.
secondly How does a personal statement differ from a statement of purpose as in the case of UC berkeley.
Somebody save me:sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
HARVARD,COLORADO BUFFALO SUBMITTED...

anyone has idea wat is total cost for MPH 60 CREDITS?

Applying widely.....
What did U guys used for GRE preparation? and how long?

Thanks.

Applying widely.....
What did U guys used for GRE preparation? and how long?

Thanks.

I took the GRE in 2009, and just bought a math and verbal book from Barnes and Noble. Oh, and I basically turned the "dictionary" in the back of the verbal book into note cards. I studied for about 2-3 hours a day for 1.5 months, and I did very well. But....the new GRE is different, so I don't if this information is useful.

I took the GRE in 2009, and just bought a math and verbal book from Barnes and Noble. Oh, and I basically turned the "dictionary" in the back of the verbal book into note cards. I studied for about 2-3 hours a day for 1.5 months, and I did very well. But....the new GRE is different, so I don't if this information is useful.

Thank you :)....

Anyone did it recently?

I took it in late September. I mostly studied using an old edition of the Kaplan general test book, and old vocab book that I can't remember the name of now, and an retooled quant. book also from Kaplan. I studied about 45 minutes per day (0-90 minutes really) for about 6 weeks leading up to the test. I'm pleased with my preliminary score. I had recently (2 years ago) taken the CAT NCLEX so I was familiar with the format and didn't have a lot of trouble getting into a standardized test state of mind.

Here's a recent thread about some materials that are useful for the new GRE: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=850027&highlight=GRE

I took it in late August and I think what made the process better was the vocabulary flashcards that come with the Barron's or Kaplan sets or separately. The vocab-in-context questions makes definitions better, but I would stress practicing reviewing vocab words for a month or so to get up to speed.

And now to return back to the topic of this thread: still need to get motivated and finish these apps!

Yale, Emory, SLU, UNT and Brown SUBMITTED!

And now the waiting game ensues! :whistle:

Hi Guys,

Several schools prefer applicants with "Research experience". The thing is there are two kinds of experience when conducting a research study. The first is about thinking of a problem and solution, study design, analysis techniques, etc. The second is the execution, such as recruiting participants, managing surveyors, conducting interviews. As a research assistant, I had little experience about the 1st and a great deal about the 2nd. The 1st was normally done by my principal investigator.

So when those schools say that they prefer those with "research experience", do they only want somebody with great conceptual, analytical and research thinking or they also welcome somebody who know how to execute a public health study?

Thanks thanks guys =)

Hey guys,

I am currently a fourth year undergraduate student from University of Toronto in Canada, and I am applying to MPH in epidemiology this year. I major is physiology human biology, and my cGPA is 3.52. My GRE score is verbal: 650, Quantitative: 790, writing: 4.0. I have one year of undergraduate research experience in a diabetes lab and two years of research experience in a nephrology lab as a project student. I also have some volunteer experience in hospitals and rehabilitation centres. My dream schools are Columbia, Yale, and Berkley, but they are really competitive. What schools should I apply to? Do you guys know some safe schools that I should apply to?
Thanks~:)

Hi all, what a great forum!

I am considering applying to HSPH for the SM in Health Policy and Management but before I go to the trouble of bothering recommenders I am hoping to see if some one can tell me if my app will be competitive.

Undergrad - Law (UK Uni - 2.1)
Postgrad - Finance (UK Uni - 2.1)
Nationality - Icelandic
Career
- 4 years Investment Banking (Non-Health) in London with a top-tier bank
- 2 years working for highly regarded Health related US established NGO throughout Africa (now a Program Manager for 6 countries)

No GRE but GMAT is acceptable - GMAT Score is just above average in Quant and Verbal and overall. AWA is 6.0 (full marks)

Post the SM I am looking to return to my country and help advise (consulting or direct with Gov) a strategy for Health.

Harvard is the only school for me due to the name recognition and possibility of cross registering at HBS, HKS and MIT.

So what are my chances????

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you guys including shadowing experiences? If so, what part of the application are you putting it under (volunteer?)?

Hi guys

I'm looking for a little advice concerning MPH programs and hoping to get an application together to meet deadlines for Fall 2012 admissions (have been going crazy finishing up my thesis and preparing for my defense!)

I'm currently wrapping up an Interdisciplinary M.S. in Molecular Mechanisms of Infectious Disease, and have a B.S. in Biology. I'm interested in MPH programs specifically geared towards Infectious Disease prevention and education- though, for the life of me, I can't seem to find very many of them. It looks like Johns Hopkins, Pitt, and Yale are among the only ones with specific Infectious Disease programs.

Does anybody know if other MPH programs that do not specifically state an ID focus allow for concentrations in that field?

Also- I'm curious as to my chances for admission into programs like the three I mentioned above- they seem to be at the top of the pack as far as public health programs go.

My stats:
B.S.- 3.38
M.S.-3.65

I have 2 years experience in a cell biology research lab, and 4 years experience in an infectious disease research lab.

I have two years experience teaching undergraduate science labs, and have guest lectured in upper-level biology courses. I have also mentored high school students in the lab, and considerable experience with grant writing.

I never took the GREs- but can certainly throw that onto the 'to-do' list if it ups my chances.

I'd appreciate any help with this!!

Hey guys,

I am planning on applying to several MPH programs but have no idea how competitive I will be. My greatest fear is my low GPA :(

Stats:

GPA: 2.66 (increased to 2.79 w/post bacc) overall. Using SOPHAS w/repeat grades, ~2.9)
B.S. Food Science and Human Nutrition (top 15 public school)

Work
2.5 years active duty U.S. Army experience in dental clinic
-Dental Assisting/Hygiene
-Health Promotion Officer
-Executive Editor of clinic magazine

Volunteer/EC
1 year in a hospital PCU
2 years tutoring Elementary/High School students

LORs
4 Colonels, all DDS/DMDs

Not sure if I can get into any decent schools or any at all. Ive noticed a lot of >3.0 GPA requirements

Last edited:
So, anyone familiar with UPenn's MPH program? Any graduates or applicants want to chime in? Seems general (which is OK), but I'm nervous about "limited financial aid".

Columbia: submitted!

+ HSPH, Yale, Berkely...
now waiting some months... then? who knows...
I don't know....

Does anyone have a rough estimate of how long it take to hear back from the schools once they have confirmed your application is in review.

what type of mistakes?

I feel like they missed some courses in my Science GPA. I contacted them this evening (via email) and I hope they can either correct it or explain to me why it's different from my official transcripts.

Finding this site was God-sent because now I can actually communicate with others interested in MPH!!

Here's my ordeal...

I'm interested in obtaining a MPH with a concentrate in International/Global Health (applying for Fall 2012). I'm a 22 yr old senior undergraduate with a 3.23 GPA majoring in Health Sciences. I am taking the GRE on November 22 so I have no score information obviously. I have no work experience because my decision to pursue this path was very recent. One of my references will be a former professor of mine who is also the Health Sciences director at my university (she also earned an MPH at U of Mich).

Schools with my desired concentrate: Boston, Harvard, GeorgeW, UNC, JH (all seem like a longshot). Tulane, USF, Colo St., and UIC seem like my actual choices. (P.S. USF's admissions seem very minimal).

Any advice or comments. Do I stand a chance?

Apps sent in. I'm terrified. One less thing to worry about I guess until Marchish ::shrugs:: :smack::xf:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Applying Fall 2011: UCLA, SDSU, LLU

Acceptances:
Rejections:
Attending:

Finding this site was God-sent because now I can actually communicate with others interested in MPH!!

Here's my ordeal...

I'm interested in obtaining a MPH with a concentrate in International/Global Health (applying for Fall 2012). I'm a 22 yr old senior undergraduate with a 3.23 GPA majoring in Health Sciences. I am taking the GRE on November 22 so I have no score information obviously. I have no work experience because my decision to pursue this path was very recent. One of my references will be a former professor of mine who is also the Health Sciences director at my university (she also earned an MPH at U of Mich).

Schools with my desired concentrate: Boston, Harvard, GeorgeW, UNC, JH (all seem like a longshot). Tulane, USF, Colo St., and UIC seem like my actual choices. (P.S. USF's admissions seem very minimal).

Any advice or comments. Do I stand a chance?

First of all, congratulations on deciding to pursue an MPH in the Global Health track. I think that this is a very personally rewarding career choice.

Obviously, you are in the process of applying. I would consider getting some sort of public health experience as you might well have a competitive application with this experience. Also, this might help you pin down what specifically you looking for in a program, and whether another concentration might excite you even more. I get the feeling that admissions folks like to see people who have really pondered over what they like most about public health, and what their career plans are.

That being said, you may well get into a good school this cycle, but it is really hard to determine what school you would be a good fit for.

For example, BU's international health track is not as highly regarded as Tulane's, (and George Washington might be about on par with Tulane.) I could see you getting into BU or GW, but not Tulane or UIC. BU takes people with lower numbers. Emory is also a great place to go for global health. In the end, you should apply for where you will be happy.

good luck!

what type of mistakes?

UPDATE on my GPA issue. I received this reply from this afternoon:

The courses listed are not considered Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or a Life
Science, unfortuantely these will be considered "other" courses. If you would
like any of these courses to be determined as Biology, Chemistry, Physics or
Life Science please reply with a link to the course description of the
course(s)

I marked them as Science and the person verifying my record changed it to "other."

I'm somewhat perturbed because these courses were offered through the College of Science and Mathematics at my university and were environmental health courses as well - which you would think is something that a School of Public is interested in. I'm debating on sending the course descriptions to them or not.

Perhaps I'll contact the schools directly.

I'm sure public health schools care about these courses that you've taken but that doesn't mean they comprise your "science gpa" and SOPHAS lists which courses fit under which descriptions. Epidemiology courses fall into the science category but some other public health courses don't.

Hi guys

Does anybody know if other MPH programs that do not specifically state an ID focus allow for concentrations in that field?

Hey Mikasil, I didn't see any response to your question so I just wanted to let you know that Emory also has a strong infectious disease program. Technically the only "concentration" is within global health, but there are TONS of ID classes and they count for electives in other fields (so, essentially you could tailor an epidemiology degree with electives in Infectious Disease - which is what I'm doing with Global Epidemiology). This semester I'm in a course called Case Studies in Infectious Disease and next semester there are offerings in Emerging Infectious Disease, International Infectious Diseases, and more narrowly focused courses, like one I am taking on tuberculosis specifically. They also have focused classes for HIV, Malaria, Vaccines and Vaccine Preventable Diseases just to name a few. With the CDC right next door Emory has a hand in just about everything, but ID is a really popular track and they will always offer copious amounts of very quality courses in it. Also, my global challenges and opportunities course this semester is taught by a man who was instrumental in the eradication of Smallpox, there's an amazing network here.

Anyhoo, just a little plug for the school I love :)

About the GRE though, I would check into that soon, most schools (Emory for sure) will not waive the GRE requirement unless you have a doctoral degree. I'm sure there are several exceptions, but I would think the higher tiered schools would be less likely to waive it and those seem to be the ones you are interested in (as you indicated in your post)...may just be something worth checking out at each school.

Good luck!

Does anyone have a rough estimate of how long it take to hear back from the schools once they have confirmed your application is in review.

It totally depends on the school, last year my completed application went out to schools the week of October 16th and all schools acknowledged receipt of it within a couple of weeks...

I heard back from Tulane in less than 2 weeks (I received the letter Nov 1, but someone I had talked to in admissions sent me a congratulatory email in October)

Emory took a little longer, but they had a set date to release the first round of acceptances and I applied early (I received an acceptance the first week of Dec from them so that was a little over a month after they had acknowledged my application and sent me login information for OPUS). They had another round of acceptances go out in January or February (can't remember the month, but one of my friends was in that one and she is awesome/brilliant, so I think it's just purely based on how many they get through before the first rounds and nothing to do with you).

and I still hadn't heard from Boston University in something like February when I withdrew my application (the website, at the time, said 4-6 weeks to receive a decision after they acknowledged that your application was complete, but they received a large number of applications and inclement weather affected their ability to process applications as quickly as they would have liked).

Check the websites for the schools you applied to, most of them will have a general time line but remember that sometimes situations out of their control (like the case of BU) can cause that timeline to be skewed. If they don't have anything on the website and you are really curious then you could send a polite email to the admissions department just asking them what to expect.

Good luck!

I still hadn't heard from Boston University in something like February when I withdrew my application (the website, at the time, said 4-6 weeks to receive a decision after they acknowledged that your application was complete, but they received a large number of applications and inclement weather affected their ability to process applications as quickly as they would have liked).

Check the websites for the schools you applied to, most of them will have a general time line but remember that sometimes situations out of their control (like the case of BU) can cause that timeline to be skewed. If they don't have anything on the website and you are really curious then you could send a polite email to the admissions department just asking them what to expect.

Good luck!

BU is infamous for being blatantly antagonistic with its students and applicants. I seriously doubt that "weather" was the issue as Boston routinely gets snowed in, like you can set your clock to it. Back in the day when you could get snowed in on your farm for days, or weeks, this pathetic excuse might make sense. If you believe this excuse then there's a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell Ya.

I know somebody who was gung-ho on BU, didn't hear back by . . . wait for it . . . March! Had to call and inquire about the status of said application.

She was turned off by the impersonal disregard, and decided to go with her #2, UNC. L-O-V-E-S I-T, 100%, is glad that BU procrastinated!:thumbup:

BU is infamous for being blatantly antagonistic with its students and applicants. I seriously doubt that "weather" was the issue as Boston routinely gets snowed in, like you can set your clock to it. Back in the day when you could get snowed in on your farm for days, or weeks, this pathetic excuse might make sense. If you believe this excuse then there's a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell Ya.

I know somebody who was gung-ho on BU, didn't hear back by . . . wait for it . . . March! Had to call and inquire about the status of said application.

She was turned off by the impersonal disregard, and decided to go with her #2, UNC. L-O-V-E-S I-T, 100%, is glad that BU procrastinated!:thumbup:

WOW...I'm glad that I decided to not apply to BU! There was something that didn't feel right to me...

My SOPHAS applications were finally sent out today! :clap:

WOW...I'm glad that I decided to not apply to BU! There was something that didn't feel right to me...

My SOPHAS applications were finally sent out today! :clap:

Today I submitted my SOPHAS app to Columbia (I'm just applying to C via SOPHAS). Does anyone know how long till my GPA will be calculated?

Hello! In the process of sending most of my apps in. Like most, I'm terrified but I'll be ok!

Stats:

BS Environmental Science, BA Political Science from unknown state university (graduating in about a month! :D )

GPA: 3.5 (cum), 3.9 (upper division/major coursework)

GRE: Took the revised one; 500 V (62%), 560 Q (36% Ouch! :eek: )

LOR: Pretty good and diverse, one from chair of my enviro science department, another from one I did research under whose md/phd and well published in enviro-health, one from civil engineering phd with whom i've taken a couple classes under and last one from internationally renowned urban scholar in public policy.

Honors/Awards: McNair Scholar and Security studies scholar at the two top universities in my state, deans list, multiple regional/national conference presentations...blah blah....

Research: two summer reu's (McNair fellowship on climate change and national security and one doing histology assessments), work in two labs on exposure and nanotoxicity, currently in statistical genetics/bioinformatics lab

Soft Factors: African-American Female, Low Income (as classified by US Department of ED)

Applied: (All Enviro Health or Global Health) Harvard MS, Emory PhD, BU PhD, UCLA PhD, Yale MPH, Tulane PhD, UMB PhD

Good luck everyone!! May everyone get into their top programs with FUNDING!!! :D:D:D:D

Hi everyone, I just sent my payment into SOPHAS. After I pressed submit, it took them 2-3 days to verify my courses and calculate my GPA...it was a lot faster than I thought it would take!

GPA: 3.397 (Upper division 3.694, undergrad 3.134)
GRE: I took the revised one, V 155 Q 148 AW 4. I think this is equivalent to ~1130 on the old scale.

I am applying to UofMN MHA program and am average all around so I hope I am considered for the program. Good luck everyone!!

Did anyone get any acceptance mails still? Anyone knows how good/bad the MPH in Epidemology program at BU is? I got a mail from them saying that I've been accepted and that I've got a merit award on tuition which they'll tell me about in a couple of weeks.

Congrats headstrong! BU is a stellar school-- and Boston ain't too shabby either.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am planning to apply to Community Health/Global Health MPH programs for Fall 2012. I am interested in UIC, Columbia, Boston, NYU, GW and UofMichigan.

I studied psychology as an undergrad and have been working with the HIV population in a clinical setting since 2008. In addition, I have worked at a community clinic teaching health classes and as a medical interpreter. My past experience includes working in an epidemiology lab (I did field and lab work) and a psychology lab (I did a study on children with birth defects). I have done 1 short term international project which mostly revolved around fundraising to provide a village with clean water.

I am Hispanic, fluent in Spanish and have worked with the Hispanic community since HS via various organizations (not all PH related)
My cumulative GPA=3.4 (I started off as Pre-Med which brought my GPA down) but my major GPA=3.7
My GRE scores are pretty bad...barely 1200
I'm wondering if I can get by with my experience and GRE score...what are my chances of getting in to the schools mentioned above? Any recommendations on "safety" schools I should apply to that offer Global Health programs? I am really looking to do my practicum abroad.

Thanks!

I am interested in UIC, Columbia, Boston, NYU, GW and UofMichigan.

I am Hispanic, fluent in Spanish and have worked with the Hispanic community since HS via various organizations (not all PH related)

My cumulative GPA=3.4 (I started off as Pre-Med which brought my GPA down) but my major GPA=3.7

My GRE scores are pretty bad...barely 1200

I'm wondering if I can get by with my experience and GRE score...what are my chances of getting in to the schools mentioned above? Any recommendations on "safety" schools I should apply to that offer Global Health programs? I am really looking to do my practicum abroad.

Thanks!

I bolded your ethnicity and your GRE score not in an attempt to be condescending, but to be realistic. Hispanic test-takers make up a tiny portion of all test takers and the median average sits well below the standard cutoff for most graduate programs of 1000 (and yes, adcoms DO know this and they DO take that into consideration). Your GRE score is comfortably within the upper 50th percentile of all GRE takers (and remember--these are ALL the people GOING to graduate school). That score is no where near bad! I think that should be the very least of your worries.

In addition, there is a real push in public health graduate programs to train those who at least have a language, cultural or ethnic connection to those groups which are disproportionately effected by health disparities (african-americans, native americans, hispanics). Simply put--these programs WANT people who are from, have some sort of connection and can speak the language of these communities in greatest need. Your background coupled with your research and community experience places you in a competitive spot for ALL of these programs IMO (I would actually include Yale on your list, or at the very least look into it if your interested in global health).

Make sure you really work on crafting your personal statement! So many people get rejected from great graduate programs because they are quant-obsessed (not saying you are of course :laugh: ) and fail to truly encapsulate through their personal statement how, and in which demonstrable ways, they want to pursue a career in public health, particularly that specific program.

Conclusion: APPLY TO ALL AND THEN SOME! Grad admissions are such a crap shoot--to me there is no such thing as a "safety" school unlike in undergrad. Your "safety" can reject you and your "reach" can accept you. You never know. (Also, check with SOPHAS or which ever admissions medium you are applying through. They may have fee waivers for URMs so that can ease a tad bit of financial uncertainty in branching off, if that is an issue!)

Good Luck!

Did anyone get any acceptance mails still? Anyone knows how good/bad the MPH in Epidemology program at BU is? I got a mail from them saying that I've been accepted and that I've got a merit award on tuition which they'll tell me about in a couple of weeks.
Congratulations!! Out of curiosity, when did you submit your SOPHAS Application? Also, did your acceptance come via e-mail or snail mail? Congrats again!!

@Werd - Thanks a lot. Was just wondering if anyone knows someone who's doing/ done the program. All the best to u n me!
@MPHprospect2012 - I sent my sophas application with the first lot of applications tht went from sophas- before 14th of sept. They replied via e-mail offering admission. The entire admission packet I'll receive in a couple of weeks or so. All the best.

Thanks so much for your response, it really lifted my spirits! I do have to make one revision...scratch the 1200 GRE, I got a 1060 (took it back in 2009). With that being said I'm wondering if I should take the GRE again...I'm really trying to avoid that route!

I bolded your ethnicity and your GRE score not in an attempt to be condescending, but to be realistic. Hispanic test-takers make up a tiny portion of all test takers and the median average sits well below the standard cutoff for most graduate programs of 1000 (and yes, adcoms DO know this and they DO take that into consideration). Your GRE score is comfortably within the upper 50th percentile of all GRE takers (and remember--these are ALL the people GOING to graduate school). That score is no where near bad! I think that should be the very least of your worries.

In addition, there is a real push in public health graduate programs to train those who at least have a language, cultural or ethnic connection to those groups which are disproportionately effected by health disparities (african-americans, native americans, hispanics). Simply put--these programs WANT people who are from, have some sort of connection and can speak the language of these communities in greatest need. Your background coupled with your research and community experience places you in a competitive spot for ALL of these programs IMO (I would actually include Yale on your list, or at the very least look into it if your interested in global health).

Make sure you really work on crafting your personal statement! So many people get rejected from great graduate programs because they are quant-obsessed (not saying you are of course :laugh: ) and fail to truly encapsulate through their personal statement how, and in which demonstrable ways, they want to pursue a career in public health, particularly that specific program.

Conclusion: APPLY TO ALL AND THEN SOME! Grad admissions are such a crap shoot--to me there is no such thing as a "safety" school unlike in undergrad. Your "safety" can reject you and your "reach" can accept you. You never know. (Also, check with SOPHAS or which ever admissions medium you are applying through. They may have fee waivers for URMs so that can ease a tad bit of financial uncertainty in branching off, if that is an issue!)

Good Luck!

GOT BLOOMBERG MPH!! :D
Should i just accept or should I wait for HSPH admission results?
In other words, why harvard over hopkins? ( not being presumptuous, just cautious!)

GOT BLOOMBERG MPH!! :D
Should i just accept or should I wait for HSPH admission results?
In other words, why harvard over hopkins? ( not being presumptuous, just cautious!)

Congrats!! :D

Did JHU offer funding upon your acceptance? Both are great schools and programs so the denominator would be funding--which school gives the best package. In that case, given you won't pass the accept deadline for JHU, I think its worth waiting on Harvard and compare (funding, strength of program, job placement, cost of living, etc.). My personal choice its hard to turn down Hopkins. At any rate, keep us updated!

Are the SOPHAS GPA grades based on semesters? My number of hours are wrong as well as my cum. GPA. ... My GPA on SOPHAS is slightly higher than my GPA on my transcript.