Family information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quester

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does everyone fill this information out? I left it blank but I'm wondering if it's a disadvantage... Just to add, I'm not filling out any optional questions either. Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Meh I filled it out. Who cares if they know I have 2 older sisters, or If my mom did or didnt go to college. It can only help I guess.

Does everyone fill this information out? I left it blank but I'm wondering if it's a disadvantage... Just to add, I'm not filling out any optional questions either. Any opinions?

If it's optional, then who cares. I think I filled out family information, but I don't remember if it was optional or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it allows the adcom to ask you additional questions during the interview. I had one interviewer that asked me quite a few questions about my brother and sisters.

Nothing's wrong with my family, but I just don't see why it even matters to them...:rolleyes:

It helps us to know if there's a doctor in the family. Everything and then one of my colleagues' radar goes off when he sees the child of two MDs and sibling of MDs, applying to our school, and he wonders if the parents aren't pushing the kid into a career he doesn't want.

It helps us to know if there's a doctor in the family. Everything and then one of my colleagues' radar goes off when he sees the child of two MDs and sibling of MDs, applying to our school, and he wonders if the parents aren't pushing the kid into a career he doesn't want.

Alright, fair enough.

one of my colleagues' radar goes off when he sees the child of two MDs and sibling of MDs, applying to our school, and he wonders if the parents aren't pushing the kid into a career he doesn't want.

In my opinion, this is an unfair assumption.

i.e. dont fill it out if you have lots of doctors in your family

In my opinion, this is an unfair assumption.

sh** happens. :shrug: To worry too much about that is somewhat like all of the various renditions of the "volunteering doesnt really show altruism" threads that pop up every other day.

i would fill out everything even if its recommended. Every piece of information help the admission committee in learning more about you as a person, which goes beyond the applicant's stats (gpa, MCAT).

I think I left it blank. I didn't see why it was relevant.