Family Med residency programs in Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apollo99214

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m interested in any information people have on the following family medicine residency programs in southeast Michigan.

I’m specifically interested in the focus on inpatient vs outpatient training?

I’m also interested in the lifestyle?

Genesys

St. John Macom/Oakland

Providence

Henry Ford Macomb

Crittenton

Troy Beaumont

McLaren Macomb

McLaren Oakland

Botsford

Members don't see this ad.

St. John macomb and mclaren macomb are probably similar in quality and lifestyle. They both focus on outpatient and the lifestyle is good after intern year. Intern year is very busy as I'm sure it is at most programs. Mclaren Oakland has a history of not matching applicants so it's probably not as good. I've heard Beaumont is chill but you may not get to do as many procedures. From what I've heard, all the programs you've listed are solid except for mclaren Oakland.

Reactions: 1 user
St. John macomb and mclaren macomb are probably similar in quality and lifestyle. They both focus on outpatient and the lifestyle is good after intern year. Intern year is very busy as I'm sure it is at most programs. Mclaren Oakland has a history of not matching applicants so it's probably not as good. I've heard Beaumont is chill but you may not get to do as many procedures. From what I've heard, all the programs you've listed are solid except for mclaren Oakland.
thank you, that is good to know about mlaren oakland

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My friends are at mclaren macomb and st john macomb. They basically only take people who do audition rotations. If you decide to audition at either one let me know.

I rotated 4th year FM at Providence. They had a more robust inpatient service then the residency I ended up at. The attendings were nice to work with. I did my outpatient FM at a more rural satellite location but they have their residency outpatient center located on site. They also have or had a primary care sports medicine program attached so you would get MSK training as well.