Family Med residency programs in Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

apollo99214

New Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m interested in any information people have on the following family medicine residency programs in southeast Michigan.

I’m specifically interested in the focus on inpatient vs outpatient training?

I’m also interested in the lifestyle?

Genesys

St. John Macom/Oakland

Providence

Henry Ford Macomb

Crittenton

Troy Beaumont

McLaren Macomb

McLaren Oakland

Botsford
 
St. John macomb and mclaren macomb are probably similar in quality and lifestyle. They both focus on outpatient and the lifestyle is good after intern year. Intern year is very busy as I'm sure it is at most programs. Mclaren Oakland has a history of not matching applicants so it's probably not as good. I've heard Beaumont is chill but you may not get to do as many procedures. From what I've heard, all the programs you've listed are solid except for mclaren Oakland.
 
St. John macomb and mclaren macomb are probably similar in quality and lifestyle. They both focus on outpatient and the lifestyle is good after intern year. Intern year is very busy as I'm sure it is at most programs. Mclaren Oakland has a history of not matching applicants so it's probably not as good. I've heard Beaumont is chill but you may not get to do as many procedures. From what I've heard, all the programs you've listed are solid except for mclaren Oakland.
thank you, that is good to know about mlaren oakland
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I rotated 4th year FM at Providence. They had a more robust inpatient service then the residency I ended up at. The attendings were nice to work with. I did my outpatient FM at a more rural satellite location but they have their residency outpatient center located on site. They also have or had a primary care sports medicine program attached so you would get MSK training as well.