Family Medicine residency-typical rotations & schedule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tinyhandsbob

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the typical rotations, rotation duration & schedule are in a FM residency each year? Also, generally, what are the hours for each rotation and/or year and how much call/night float is typical? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This is highly program dependent as far as call and night float go. My program is a few nights a month for call as a 2nd and 3rd year. First year has a different schedule.

Rotations include OB, Surgery, Peds, ICU, ER but i also have cardiology, GI, derm, etc etc.

My schedule wasnt terrible as an intern. Some 12 hour day rotations, but some outpatient stuff that was like 8-4.

Reactions: 2 users
As ciestar said, varies significantly by program. Pretty much every program should list their curriculum on their website with the specific rotation for each year, so I'd look at a few of the programs in your area to get a sense of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
FM and IM have a wide range when you're talking about work hours, rotations, opportunities etc.

FM at my hospital doesn't even rotate through the ICU and its mostly clinic. Outside of the couple months on floors its mostly 9-5 work. Meanwhile the FM at my medical school spent a month on trauma surgery, another month on MICU and Q4 call when on the floors.

If you want a relaxed 9-5 lifestyle theres more programs that have it in FM. But you gotta do your research. Every program is not like that. Some FM programs are focused on OBGYN or basically training hospitalists.

FM and IM have a wide range when you're talking about work hours, rotations, opportunities etc.

FM at my hospital doesn't even rotate through the ICU and its mostly clinic. Outside of the couple months on floors its mostly 9-5 work. Meanwhile the FM at my medical school spent a month on trauma surgery, another month on MICU and Q4 call when on the floors.

If you want a relaxed 9-5 lifestyle theres more programs that have it in FM. But you gotta do your research. Every program is not like that. Some FM programs are focused on OBGYN or basically training hospitalists.

Wow that’s surprising they don’t rotate
through ICU since it’s an ACGME requirement to take care of "critically ill" patients.
OP here’s a document with acgme requirements that starts on page 29, it gives you an idea of requirements for rotations nd then each program figures out how that looks over the 3 years. A lot of places also put their general rotation blocks on their websites.

Wow that’s surprising they don’t rotate
through ICU since it’s an ACGME requirement to take care of "critically ill" patients.
OP here’s a document with acgme requirements that starts on page 29, it gives you an idea of requirements for rotations nd then each program figures out how that looks over the 3 years. A lot of places also put their general rotation blocks on their websites.
There must be a work around? Or something equivalent that matches an ICU experience? No Idea. Will have to f/u

There must be a work around? Or something equivalent that matches an ICU experience? No Idea. Will have to f/u
The requirement per the ACGME is only 1 month OR 15 patient encounters.

ETA: Also worth noting some FM programs rotate at a few different hospitals in the community for various reasons, so they may be getting their ICU experience elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
Why not look at the programs you are interested in… everything is listed in their website in terms or their curriculum.

Program dependent.... Some programs are OB heavy, some inpatient heavy, some rural (everything).... Just go to what will fit your future desires as far as practice is concerned. You will know when you interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.