Family-Relatives Say The Darndest Things...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm gonna expand this a little past the med school applications thing momentarily...

At least twice a week, I'll be doing a preop on a patient and their family member will hold out their own arm and say, "You've got the good stuff, huh? You can give me some of that, too!"

OMG IT'S MY FAVORITE JOKE LOLZ IT DOESN'T EVER GET OLD

My typical response is, "No thanks, I like being a doctor."
I am 100% of the opinion that it would benefit everyone working in the hospital to offer a complimentary Xanax to all patient family members.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At least twice a week, I'll be doing a preop on a patient and their family member will hold out their own arm and say, "You've got the good stuff, huh? You can give me some of that, too!"

I always found that part odd during my surgeries... the waiting stressed me out more than going back to the OR, so I would prefer a sedative blowdart as soon as I walk in the door instead of getting dosed right before they wheel me back. To each their own. :D

I always found that part odd during my surgeries... the waiting stressed me out more than going back to the OR, so I would prefer a sedative blowdart as soon as I walk in the door instead of getting dosed right before they wheel me back. To each their own. :D
The problem is that sedatives impair your judgment, so you medico-legally can't participate in the consent and patient verification process if we give you any. After we do our bedside sign-in, we can drug you all we want. So for very anxious patients, I generally coordinate with my surgeons and nurses to get the patient signed in as soon as they can be, then slip them some anxiolytics.

The problem is that sedatives impair your judgment, so you medico-legally can't participate in the consent and patient verification process if we give you any. After we do our bedside sign-in, we can drug you all we want. So for very anxious patients, I generally coordinate with my surgeons and nurses to get the patient signed in as soon as they can be, then slip them some anxiolytics.

Doesn't mean I've never seen a surgical colleague try to consent someone after sedation (say, after a block... "Oh yeah, I forgot we wanted to do this one other thing that wasn't posted..."). I've had to tell many a number of surgical residents that the patient who was having trouble keeping their eyes open (because of midazolam and fentanyl) was not consentable.

Reactions: 1 user
Good to know! For my next surgery coming up I'll shamelessly beg to get consented early so that I can get some meds early :sleep:

My stats are very borderline, and I got into my state's only DO school. I was ecstatic, couldn't believe it. Not only did I get into med school, I got into one so close to home! When I came home from work I told my dad the great news. His response, "congrats, but did you apply to northwestern? It would sound a lot better telling people you go to Northwestern instead of ______COM." And yes he was dead serious.

Ok dad. Glad to know that after working my butt off to get into med school you're still not proud :sour:

Reactions: 12 users
My stats are very borderline, and I got into my state's only DO school. I was ecstatic, couldn't believe it. Not only did I get into med school, I got into one so close to home! When I came home from work I told my dad the great news. His response, "congrats, but did you apply to northwestern? It would sound a lot better telling people you go to Northwestern instead of ______COM." And yes he was dead serious.

Ok dad. Glad to know that after working my butt off to get into med school you're still not proud :sour:
Damn shame. Here is a virtual pat on the shoulder. Good work! :clap::clap::clap::clap::highfive::highfive::highfive::highfive::claps::claps::claps::claps::prof::prof::prof::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Reactions: 3 users

Same response from many of my professors about our state med school. Regardless of what they have said, Bravo - great job!!!! You are going to be a doctor!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users

Congrats! :highfive::soexcited::clap::soexcited::highfive:

You just have to assume that your dad just doesn’t understand how difficult it is to get into a school like Northwestern med. He probably has no idea that your “borderline” stats weren’t competitive for NU. Maybe he’s the type that if he was shown what the avg stats for an NU med student are, he’d understand.

Either way, you’re going to be a doctor!!! Congrats!!!!!

Congrats! :highfive::soexcited::clap::soexcited::highfive:

You just have to assume that your dad just doesn’t understand how difficult it is to get into a school like Northwestern med. He probably has no idea that your “borderline” stats weren’t competitive for NU. Maybe he’s the type that if he was shown what the avg stats for an NU med student are, he’d understand.

Either way, you’re going to be a doctor!!! Congrats!!!!!
Lol when he said this I told him my mcat is 10 points lower than the average accepted so no I did not waste an application to there.
He said "yeah but its not only about grades. You've volunteered and shadowed, no one else does that"
Cute, he thinks no other premed has volunteered at a hospital.
That's when I decided this wasn't worth arguing over, nodded my head and said, yeah I'll send them an app. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the congratulations guys
:banana: I am so excited regardless of what he thinks

Reactions: 11 users
Lol when he said this I told him my mcat is 10 points lower than the average accepted so no I did not waste an application to there.
He said "yeah but its not only about grades. You've volunteered and shadowed, no one else does that"
That's when I decided this wasn't worth arguing over, nodded my head and said, yeah I'll send them an app. :rolleyes:

My asian parents r straight up savage. It’s like every kid got into yale med school. And then my parents ask me if I got a full ride w/ my state school acceptance. Lmao I told them it’s not like Oprah... you get a scholarship, you get one, you all get scholarships!!!
Reality: [replace scholarship w/ crippling debt]

Members don't see this ad :)
My asian parents r straight up savage. It’s like every kid got into yale med school. And then my parents ask me if I got a full ride w/ my state school acceptance. Lmao I told them it’s not like Oprah... you get a scholarship, you get one, you all get scholarships!!!
Reality: [replace scholarship w/ crippling debt]

Oprah would go poor.

Reactions: 1 users

Every time I try to explain to my mom why I probably won't get in to my dream school she does the same thing. She talks about my experiences and overall story, etc etc, and I appreciate the angry defense, but I can't make her understand that eeeeeeeevvvveeeeerrrryyyyyybbbbbbbooooodddddyyyyy who also interviewed at that school is equally or more qualified. Also, in the numbers game of interviews, the majority of interviewees won't get in. At this point I don't even do the spiel I just tactlessly change the subject.

Also, in the numbers game of interviews, the majority of interviewees won't get in.

Is this true though? I know there are some schools where getting an interview is the hardest part, and they accept 50% or more of interviewees. Has anyone ever put data like that together? @Lawper

Is this true though? I know there are some schools where getting an interview is the hardest part, and they accept 50% or more of interviewees. Has anyone ever put data like that together? @Lawper
That's how it was at my medical school. Top 5 in hardest to get into by the numbers but once you got an interview had a 50% shot

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

MSAR has data on number of interviews vs matriculants but I don't think it shows actual acceptances. That would be interesting to see.

For some schools I know that +50% is true. But for this one, they interview around 700 for a class of approx 100. So even if they make 3x offers:seats, the majority still aren't getting offers. So I guess depending on the interview pool that could apply more or less for each person.

Family gathering on Christmas Day. While chowing down on my 3rd plate of food (skipped breakfast to save room in my belly for the feast), I was sitting next to a cousin.

Cousin: So you are going to medical school?
Me: Y'up
Cousin: When are you leaving for Mexico?
Me: huh???
Cousin: Didn't you interview in El Paso?
Me: What?? And a flashback to this:

Reactions: 13 users
Family gathering on Christmas Day. While chowing down on my 3rd plate of food (skipped breakfast to save room in my belly for the feast), I was sitting next to a cousin.

Wow. I mean Texas is like another country, but damn.

When I was around 15 years old, I was telling my mom about how difficult I heard the MCAT was and how much material it covered. Her response?
"Can you start studying now?"
Mom, I'm a sophomore in high school :bang:the MCAT isn't for at least five more years!
Needless to say, she's clueless about everything related to the med school process.

My mom: _______ has some news to share.
Me: I got into several schools! Blah blah blah details details

My aunt: ew, needles. Y tho?

Reminds me of the story of the lady who mentioned that she was from Iowa, and the other person replied, “around here, we pronounce that as Ohio.” :confused:

Your cousin probably thinks that the state of New Mexico is also south of the border.

Its hard to explain the time I need to put into my pre-med classes in order to get good grades to my immigrant mom, as a first generation college student and oldest of eight I'm expected to help clean and take care of my siblings too. Since I did so well in high school my parents think its easy to do good in college too even though I'm actually not. Ugh!

I've had to explain to my foreign parents and grandparents that I'm actually a biology student and don't know what antibiotics they should be taking or what their rash is all about only too many times. Their response is usually something along the lines of "I thought you wanted to be a doctor!"

Getting an interview is the hardest part at any school... Anyway, the # interviewed and #accepted is available behind the US news paywall. However, you can find that info on reddit. I think most schools were between 30% and 50% post II acceptance rate, with some outliers.

My grandfather thought Dermatologists were at the bottom of their class and that's why they weren't allowed to work on anything but the skin.

Reactions: 8 users
Me to an Elderly Parent: Your PCP told me to remind you to keep taking your BP and chronic cough medication. Your numbers are high.

Parent: I don't like the side effects and stopped months ago.

Me: Why are you so stubborn? Are you going to be the same way once I start practicing?

Parent: I will ignore you also!

Me: SMH

Lol. Not usually the best way to gain compliance.

Said out of frustration because episode repeats after every PCP appointment. I can't physically hold them down and force them to take their medicine. Don't know what else to do.

Said out of frustration because episode repeats after every PCP appointment. I can't physically hold them down and force them to take their medicine. Don't know what else to do.

When a dog doesn't take their medicine, I sneak it into peanut butter.

Reactions: 7 users

Oh believe me, I get it. I did primary care for people who think they’re invincible. It can be very frustrating.