Family Unfriendly Medical Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DW Washburn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am just curious if anyone knows of any medical schools that are definitely unfriendly to families. I am married with more than one younger child. My spouse works from home most of the time and has a flexible job, but we still have our children in paid childcare. I am just curious if anyone knows by reputation or personal experience or any other way if there are schools that are not understanding or welcoming to families. Alternatively, I have heard of some medical schools who are adjusted to nontraditional students and welcoming to those with young children and would really appreciate any suggestions. Also, I am looking for names of schools - who would you categorize as a definite no, a definite yes, or even a definite maybe, but....

Members don't see this ad.

I'm at Touro Nevada and have multiple classmates with babies and young children. Our administration seems understanding of life circumstances thought I can't speak specifically to having kids here. I've never seen anyone bring kids to class and we don't have child care services if that's what you're getting at. But over 80% of our class watches pre-recorded lectures at home and only comes in person for required classes (a few hours of clinical skills and OMM per week plus anatomy for first years).

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all, I am just curious if anyone knows of any medical schools that are definitely unfriendly to families. I am married with more than one younger child. My spouse works from home most of the time and has a flexible job, but we still have our children in paid childcare. I am just curious if anyone knows by reputation or personal experience or any other way if there are schools that are not understanding or welcoming to families. Alternatively, I have heard of some medical schools who are adjusted to nontraditional students and welcoming to those with young children and would really appreciate any suggestions. Also, I am looking for names of schools - who would you categorize as a definite no, a definite yes, or even a definite maybe, but....
I would imagine that LUCOM and Loma Linda aren't friendly to LGBT families.

Reactions: 2 users
My girlfriend at the University of Cincinnati felt that the administration was much friendlier to med student fathers than to herself, a med student mother. Food for thought...

• Care
Reactions: 1 user