FAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mefor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, it may be discussed somewhere but, how competitive is to get the Financial Assistance Program (FAP)? Is that speciality specific like more for specialities in more demand such as primary care? I know everyone can get HPSP, so is FAP the same too? Does all branch offer this or just only Navy?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

FAP and direct ascensions are subject to the particular service deciding they need more physicians in that specialty that year.

It's possible that some years the service will determine it's overmanned with internists and offer zero FAP spots to internists in training that year. Historically this process hasn't been very transparent or easy to predict.

In general, military medicine is a small numbers game that lends itself to a lot of year-to-year variability and uncertainty regarding the competitiveness of in service residencies or FAP availability. It's hard to give you a meaningful "how competitive" answer.

It might be easy, it might be impossible.

Reactions: 1 user
FAP and direct ascensions are subject to the particular service deciding they need more physicians in that specialty that year.

It's possible that some years the service will determine it's overmanned with internists and offer zero FAP spots to internists in training that year. Historically this process hasn't been very transparent or easy to predict.

In general, military medicine is a small numbers game that lends itself to a lot of year-to-year variability and uncertainty regarding the competitiveness of in service residencies or FAP availability. It's hard to give you a meaningful "how competitive" answer.

It might be easy, it might be impossible.
Thanks! you are correct. I spoke with a Navy recruiter and he told me that there are less than 9 offers(total) for this year. Also, the offers are only for a few specialities.

Thanks! you are correct. I spoke with a Navy recruiter and he told me that there are less than 9 offers(total) for this year. Also, the offers are only for a few specialities.

What specialties are being offered for this upcoming year?