FAQ: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
l

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It is almost comedic to me that 260s is a chance, 250s is meh and 240s and matching is equivalent to winning the lottery. It is such a minimal difference in the percent correct at those levels. A slightly off day or guessing wrong on a couple of questions is all it takes. Makes me glad I'm not gunning for Cali. I'd be a nervous wreck right now.

Hey guys. I am starting medical school this fall as a DO, and am interested in ACGME radiology. I know that DOs have AOA programs, but as im sure you guys know, the general consensus is that most of them do not provide adequate training. One of my friend's aunt who is a recruiter, actually said they don't bother hiring AOA trained radiologists in most areas. I've personally never came across one either.

What do you guys think I need to do to be competitive for a "low tier" (if there is such a thing) academic program, or a decent community program? I really don't care about location. I have no problem moving to the ghetto, or some podunk town in Alaska.

Is 250+ step 1 and good clinical grades enough as a DO? I know its gonna be tough for me to do research, especially in radiology because most osteopathic institutions are extremely weak in that area.

thanks for all your help.

At the "lower tier" academic programs you don't even need any research. I've heard from classmates that some of these institutions actually discourage research during residency. Good scores, grades, LORs, and clinical evals will suffice. If you can do some radiology research between your 1st and 2nd year at an MD program that would be extremely helpful. With 250s and honors clinical grades there are a good amount of solid academic programs that would interview you.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is almost comedic to me that 260s is a chance, 250s is meh and 240s and matching is equivalent to winning the lottery. It is such a minimal difference in the percent correct at those levels. A slightly off day or guessing wrong on a couple of questions is all it takes. Makes me glad I'm not gunning for Cali. I'd be a nervous wreck right now.

For the big 3 california schools, I think once you are in the 250s and have Honors in most 3rd year rotations, research is the big deciding factor and can trump a couple bumps in grades or even a high 240 score if the research is strong enough.

Also, there are a lot of politics at play.

Yeah you'll def be fine matching; I'd consider a research away, though.

Hey guys. I am starting medical school this fall as a DO, and am interested in ACGME radiology. I know that DOs have AOA programs, but as im sure you guys know, the general consensus is that most of them do not provide adequate training. One of my friend's aunt who is a recruiter, actually said they don't bother hiring AOA trained radiologists in most areas. I've personally never came across one either.

What do you guys think I need to do to be competitive for a "low tier" (if there is such a thing) academic program, or a decent community program? I really don't care about location. I have no problem moving to the ghetto, or some podunk town in Alaska.

Is 250+ step 1 and good clinical grades enough as a DO? I know its gonna be tough for me to do research, especially in radiology because most osteopathic institutions are extremely weak in that area.

thanks for all your help.

For the big 3 california schools, I think once you are in the 250s and have Honors in most 3rd year rotations, research is the big deciding factor and can trump a couple bumps in grades or even a high 240 score if the research is strong enough.

Also, there are a lot of politics at play.

Going to a top CA med school greatly increases your chances as well.

How bad would not honoring but getting a B (our A's are honor equiv) in IM as my first third year roation be for chances of getting into rads?

How bad would not honoring but getting a B (our A's are honor equiv) in IM as my first third year roation be for chances of getting into rads?

Obviously not ideal, but if you improve it will still be fine. Just try to honor the rest of your rotations, particularly surgery (and radiology obviously).

Obviously not ideal, but if you improve it will still be fine. Just try to honor the rest of your rotations, particularly surgery (and radiology obviously).

Cool,

I don't actually know what I got for the rotation yet but one of the attendings just didn't like me for some reason so I'm not sure how his eval on me will be..

Thanks

Ok, so I'll place this game. I am from the South, go to med school and undergrad in the Deep South at a mid-tier with a small rads dept. I want to stay in the SE or Atlantic Coast. What are my chances for Vandy, MUSC, UF, UAB, Wake, UNC, Duke, Emory, UVA?

Stats:
Step 1 250s
Step 2 leaning towards taking this after I submit Eras
Honors in Med, Gen Surg, Family, Ob-gyn, Rads. HP in Psych. Awaiting grade from EM away at Vandy.
I can get LOR from Ob-gyn, psyc, rads and maybe EM.
I am considering rads aways at UF and Vandy.
My only rads research is a case report.

Thanks for the help.

Duke is a crapshoot. Lots of qualified/over qualified people didnt get duke on this forum last cycle.

You should get all the other ones. Don't bother with the aways btw.

Prob not enough research to match at Duke or Emory but you'll probably get interviews at almost all of them.

I didn't think Emory was that research oriented.

Members don't see this ad :)
It hasn't been, but they're trying to change that.

Yeah they have a research track, but none of the regular interviewers even talked about research at all. Every academic program would like you to do research but I don't think Emory does any more than other mid tier east coast programs.

Yeah they have a research track, but none of the regular interviewers even talked about research at all. Every academic program would like you to do research but I don't think Emory does any more than other mid tier east coast programs.

I wasn't comparing it to the rest of the East Coast, just the South (- Duke & Texas).

They've started bragging about being top 20 in radiology research funding from the NIH, but that doesn't have a huge relevance to residency.

I wasn't comparing it to the rest of the East Coast, just the South (- Duke & Texas).

They've started bragging about being top 20 in radiology research funding from the NIH, but that doesn't have a huge relevance to residency.

Meh, like I said, I interviewed there for research track and thought they 1) had mediocre research and 2) didn't emphasize it during interviews.

What kind of stats would you need for UTSW or Seattle if you have zero research? I'm a Texas resident if that has any impact.

What kind of stats would you need for UTSW or Seattle if you have zero research? I'm a Texas resident if that has any impact.

UWash is much more competitive than UTSW. It has fewer spots and interviews far fewer people (70 / 600 applicants from the interview day this cycle). Dr. Beauchamp said they were looking for more than just stats, but from who I know got interviews there last cycle, the people that did tended to have > 260 and AOA with good research. I'm not sure if having higher #s w/o research would make you a good candidate, they seemed to be very much about fit.

UTSW is totally different, I know a lot of 240-250
top 1/3 types that interviewed there. It's not a research powerhouse although they'd like to be.

I'm from the deep south, would be happy in an average sized/big city in the southeast, but shooting for anywhere else as well (especially TX). Hoping for some guidance here, appreciated in advance!

Background:
Med school: Allopathic State school in southeast
Step1: 231/99
Step2: taking it next week, hoping for >240 according to my trends.
3rd year clerkships - As in psych, neuro, FM. High Bs in everything else. (not sure what that means with regard to honors/hp/p etc
Basic clinical sciences - Mostly As, some Bs, Cs in embryology and psych, after 2nd year was in top 50%
AOA - no
ECs - not extensive
LORs: banking on great letters from vascular surgery, rads, and possibly IM
Research: 1st author on a poster at regional conference
Away in Oct at another Southeast program

Thanks for the help and good luck to everyone applying.

Last edited:
UWash is much more competitive than UTSW. It has fewer spots and interviews far fewer people (70 / 600 applicants from the interview day this cycle). Dr. Beauchamp said they were looking for more than just stats, but from who I know got interviews there last cycle, the people that did tended to have > 260 and AOA with good research. I'm not sure if having higher #s w/o research would make you a good candidate, they seemed to be very much about fit.

UTSW is totally different, I know a lot of 240-250
top 1/3 types that interviewed there. It's not a research powerhouse although they'd like to be.
Hmm. I am really looking into getting the hell out of Texas. I always hear that kids from my state rarely decide to go out of state in the end, so distant residencies don't seriously consider us. I'd prefer to be on the West coast. What schools would you recommend that are highly ranked but are more about STEP 1 number whoring / clinical grades rather than a genuine research interest?

Apply broadly, you may be competitive for places like UF, UAB, UF-Jax, Jackson, etc, but I'd apply to a lot of community programs as well.

I'm from the deep south, would be happy in an average sized/big city in the southeast, but shooting for anywhere else as well (especially TX). Hoping for some guidance here, appreciated in advance!

Background:
3rd year clerkships - As in psych, neuro, FM. High Bs in everything else. (not sure what that means with regard to honors/hp/p etc
Basic clinical sciences - Mostly As, some Bs, Cs in embryology and psych, after 2nd year was in top 50%
AOA - no
ECs - not extensive

Hmm. I am really looking into getting the hell out of Texas. I always hear that kids from my state rarely decide to go out of state in the end, so distant residencies don't seriously consider us. I'd prefer to be on the West coast. What schools would you recommend that are highly ranked but are more about STEP 1 number whoring / clinical grades rather than a genuine research interest?

All the highly ranked schools are highly ranked bc of research. All the CA programs are research powerhouses, so is UWash; I guess places like OHSU, USC, UCI, etc may be interested, perhaps? The top programs are all about more than #s, although my buddy w/o research did interview at the top boston/ny/bmore programs with 260+/AOA

This thread makes me feel a little sick to my stomach because I realize I probably should have tried a little harder in third year but too late now. I'd love to go to an upper-middle to upper tier program in the NE, mainly NYC or Boston. I'm a native New Yorker going to a middle-tier MD program in NY.

Step 1: mid 240s
Step 2: Late September
3rd Yr Clerkships: Honors in Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Emergency Medicine, HP in Surgery, OB, Rads, P in Ambulatory. (Taking a 4 wk elective in rads in August to make sure I get an H...don't ask how I managed a HP in a two-wk rads elective)
Basic Clinical Sciences: All A's except for one B
No AOA
Plenty of community service during the first two years, lots of tutoring/ TA experience, not much third year and after.
LORs: can probably get decent letters from rads(2), medicine, and peds
Research: one non-rads project that wasn't published in the first two years, one submitted abstract in rads, one publication at the end of the month in rads

I'm really not sure which programs are "reach" for me and which I could consider "safe" choices. I'd appreciate any advice and responses, thanks!

This thread makes me feel a little sick to my stomach because I realize I probably should have tried a little harder in third year but too late now. I'd love to go to an upper-middle to upper tier program in the NE, mainly NYC or Boston. I'm a native New Yorker going to a middle-tier MD program in NY.

3rd Yr Clerkships: Honors in Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Emergency Medicine, HP in Surgery, OB, Rads, P in Ambulatory. (Taking a 4 wk elective in rads in August to make sure I get an H...don't ask how I managed a HP in a two-wk rads elective)
No AOA
Plenty of community service during the first two years, lots of tutoring/ TA experience, not much third year and after.
Research: one non-rads project that wasn't published in the first two years, one submitted abstract in rads, one publication at the end of the month in rads

I'm really not sure which programs are "reach" for me and which I could consider "safe" choices. I'd appreciate any advice and responses, thanks!

Do you want to stay near NYC?

I would apply to all of the university programs near NYC (that includes NJ, CT, Philadelphia and Boston), a handful of decent community programs in/near NYC (eg Beth Israel, St Luke's, Staten Island, Winthrop), and any top academic places out of state that interest you.

You can easily go on 20 interviews around NYC without booking a hotel or getting on a plane, so don't skimp on interviews that are close by... If you get a lot of love from places that require a plane (eg Cali), you will need to be a bit more selective.

You will get in somewhere decent, but it will be hard to predict exactly where. Just cover your bases - coming from NYC there's no excuse to under apply.

Mgh, bwh, bid, Penn, Cornell, hopkins, and NYU would be serious reaches. I think you'd be competitive for all other programs in the NE though.

No AOA

Mgh, bwh, bid, Penn, Cornell, hopkins, and NYU would be serious reaches. I think you'd be competitive for all other programs in the NE though.

I agree, but the process is unpredictable. He should apply to all of the top programs in regions where he can imagine living + mid tier and safety near NYC.

Where he actually ends up depends on specifics of his app + the people reading it, not to mention the competitiveness of next year.

I'm not saying they shouldn't apply, just not to expect too much. My sense is that the upcoming cycle will be significantly more competitive than ours.

I agree, but the process is unpredictable. He should apply to all of the top programs in regions where he can imagine living + mid tier and safety near NYC.

Where he actually ends up depends on specifics of his app + the people reading it, not to mention the competitiveness of next year.

I'm not saying they shouldn't apply, just not to expect too much. My sense is that the upcoming cycle will be significantly more competitive than ours.

Until the fellows stop complaining about the job market, I doubt it.

If more people start applying before the job market improves, it will only be the people with worse stats who were scared off in the past from applying at all.

Thanks for the advice and info drizzt3117 and johnnydrama. By the way, I'm a she :)
Drizzt3117, it's nice to get a feel for what might be a reach for me, not because I won't apply to those programs but so 1. I don't get my hopes too high and 2. So, I know I need to apply to a fairly wide range of other less competitive programs.

johnnydrama, you have a good point, I wasn't sure if I should apply to many of the smaller community programs around NYC/LI (ie. Staten Island and Beth Israel), but there's no harm in interviewing in as many places as I can since they are all nearby.

Until the fellows stop complaining about the job market, I doubt it.

If more people start applying before the job market improves, it will only be the people with worse stats who were scared off in the past from applying at all.

There are a lot more people applying this year as far as I can tell. Last year was a complete anomaly with schools like Harvard, UCSF, Penn, etc only having 3 or so rads applicants. It appears things are much more back to normal this cycle.

Thanks for the advice and info drizzt3117 and johnnydrama. By the way, I'm a she :)
Drizzt3117, it's nice to get a feel for what might be a reach for me, not because I won't apply to those programs but so 1. I don't get my hopes too high and 2. So, I know I need to apply to a fairly wide range of other less competitive programs.

johnnydrama, you have a good point, I wasn't sure if I should apply to many of the smaller community programs around NYC/LI (ie. Staten Island and Beth Israel), but there's no harm in interviewing in as many places as I can since they are all nearby.

To be honest, being a female in the rads interview process is a huge plus. You should definitely apply to those programs.

There are a lot more people applying this year as far as I can tell. Last year was a complete anomaly with schools like Harvard, UCSF, Penn, etc only having 3 or so rads applicants. It appears things are much more back to normal this cycle.

Out of curiosity, how do you know this? Based on your own school? Word of mouth? n=1.

Until September 15, I will take everything with a grain of salt. 12 people matched into rays from my school this year despite the unmatched spots.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how do you know this? Based on your own school? Word of mouth? n=1.

I know a lot about what's going on at other med schools; I have a lot of friends i keep in touch with at mostly top tier places, not to mention I'm in a TY with 7 other ppl doing rads. Also, from what I've been hearing, aways have been scheduled at 2x the rate of last year.

Until September 15, I will take everything with a grain of salt. 12 people matched into rays from my school this year despite the unmatched spots.

The other reason I think apps will be up is that people think the fact that programs didn't fill gives them a shot with subpar stats, which isn't necessarily true. Beaumont and ford filled their large number of unmatched slots with 250/AOA people who didn't match other specialties like ortho/ENT
etc. I talked with one of the attendings on their selection committee at a meeting this spring, he said they didn't rank quite a few ppl they interviewed bc they knew they could get better ppl in the soap.

That being said, there's a lot of community programs in undesirable areas, etc.

Background:
AOA - no
ECs - not extensive

Apply broadly, you may be competitive for places like UF, UAB, UF-Jax, Jackson, etc, but I'd apply to a lot of community programs as well.

Depending on your definition of south, I'd agree with the above with the exception that I think UF/UAB/Emory/Vandy would be the only real reaches.
Just apply broadly.

DO student here just trying to get a feel for the rads match.

I go to, statistically, the best DO school, we match about 50-60% of our class to MD
Step 1: 237
Just started 3rd year, A on surgery, that's it so far
1st and 2nd year grades, mostly As and Bs

I'm obviously not even going to apply to top 20-25 programs. I'd probably apply to just about everything else after that. I'm open to going to less desirable locales, though I'd prefer to stay east coast.

I know a lot about what's going on at other med schools; I have a lot of friends i keep in touch with at mostly top tier places, not to mention I'm in a TY with 7 other ppl doing rads. Also, from what I've been hearing, aways have been scheduled at 2x the rate of last year.

The other reason I think apps will be up is that people think the fact that programs didn't fill gives them a shot with subpar stats, which isn't necessarily true. Beaumont and ford filled their large number of unmatched slots with 250/AOA people who didn't match other specialties like ortho/ENT
etc. I talked with one of the attendings on their selection committee at a meeting this spring, he said they didn't rank quite a few ppl they interviewed bc they knew they could get better ppl in the soap.

That being said, there's a lot of community programs in undesirable areas, etc.

Regardless at how things change, my plans remain the same to apply to rays. I think I am okay with my home program, but of course I am going to apply to almost 100 programs. Mix of minor reaches and major reaches.. haha. In addition to thecase reports I submitted for approval, I found a research project that may yield me a pub or 2, a LOR, etc. Away rotation begins in a couple of weeks; I am stoked. Already touched base with the PD there.

Last edited:
Seems a little messed up that they rather have someone with higher numbers but less interest in the specialty over someone who actually cares. Not saying it isn't true. I'm just not sure I agree with that on a personal level (not that they care whether I do or not).

Seems a little messed up that they rather have someone with higher numbers but less interest in the specialty over someone who actually cares. Not saying it isn't true. I'm just not sure I agree with that on a personal level (not that they care whether I do or not).

UT-Houston's program page has an interesting section talking about that exact issue. That page almost deterred me from going into radiology, but in the end I didn't let it; and I have no regrets at all. All in all, no matter what I rotated in, I found myself back in the reading room.

Nevertheless, the reality is what you posted is exactly the case, for better or worse. I know it's a cliche but "it is what it is." That is why you apply broadly. different programs have different requirements, perceptions, etc. I can only work on things I can control.

Last edited:

I go to, statistically, the best DO school, we match about 50-60% of our class to MD

I'm obviously not even going to apply to top 20-25 programs. I'd probably apply to just about everything else after that. I'm open to going to less desirable locales, though I'd prefer to stay east coast.

You should apply to every program in the South and Midwest. Throw in as many east coast community programs as you can afford,but you're likely only to get a spot at one of the truly awful ones.

You should still be able to match, but it will be rough for you, especially if it gets more competitive than this past year.

Rads is a specialty that gets tons of people who switch from the diff surgical specialties, some are even doing second residencies, so I can see why that'd happen.

UT-Houston's program page has an interesting section talking about that exact issue. That page almost deterred me from going into radiology, but in the end I didn't let it; and I have no regrets at all. All in all, no matter what I rotated in, I found myself back in the reading room.

You haven't been through the app cycle yet, I think it's premature to discuss what regrets you might or might not have next march.

This document might be of interest, with emphasis on the page where it discusses step 1 cutoffs for interviews.

http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresultsbyspecialty2010v3.pdf

I think you should apply to ~80-100 programs, with a mix of DO friendly community university and community programs. Definitely don't waste your time with the top 25 except perhaps Pitt and CCF.

You haven't been through the app cycle yet, I think it's premature to discuss what regrets you might or might not have next march.

This document might be of interest, with emphasis on the page where it discusses step 1 cutoffs for interviews.

http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresultsbyspecialty2010v3.pdf

Sorry.... I should have said will have no regrets. If I don't match I still will not have regrets since I pursued the specialty I was interested in since the beginning of 3rd year. I have various plans if I don't match and end up in a Prelim Medicine only.

Thanks for the link. Step 1 is important to Rays program, nothing really new.

Last edited:
Where would you guys consider applying if you were a DO student with a USMLE score in the mid 240's and were in the top 5% in class rank and location was not a factor?

Where would you guys consider applying if you were a DO student with a USMLE score in the mid 240's and were in the top 5% in class rank and location was not a factor?

Broadly to about 70-80 programs nationally focusing on low/mid tier academic and good community programs. DOs tend to match like MDs with 10-20 pt lower step 1 scores in my experience, so apply accordingly.

Hey guys,

I've been lurking around SDN since the days of the MCAT but the stress of residency applications has finally prompted me to post.

School: Midwestern state school in the 20s
Step 1: 249
Preclinical: All honors
Rotation grades: H in surgery, medicine, family medicine, and OB; HP in psych; peds is pending (likely HP/P)
AOA: Determined in a couple months, but it's based on GPA and I should be above the historical cut-off
Research: Have a 4-week rads research elective scheduled for next month that will hopefully generate an abstract; otherwise, nada
ECs: Nothing particularly impressive

I have no delusions of matching at a place like MGH or UCSF, but I'm from the midwest originally and certainly wouldn't mind spending a few years checking out a different part of the country. I've got some family in the pacific northwest/mountain west, so programs in that area hold a certain appeal, but aside from that, I have no real geographic preference. I'm just hoping for some general feedback on how many programs to apply to or specific programs out west that might be attainable, in addition to any thoughts on the competitiveness of my app or suggestions on how to beef things up in these last few months before the ERAS submission date. Thanks.

Hey guys,

I've been lurking around SDN since the days of the MCAT but the stress of residency applications has finally prompted me to post.

Rotation grades: H in surgery, medicine, family medicine, and OB; HP in psych; peds is pending (likely HP/P)
AOA: Determined in a couple months, but it's based on GPA and I should be above the historical cut-off
Research: Have a 4-week rads research elective scheduled for next month that will hopefully generate an abstract; otherwise, nada

I have no delusions of matching at a place like MGH or UCSF, but I'm from the midwest originally and certainly wouldn't mind spending a few years checking out a different part of the country. I've got some family in the pacific northwest/mountain west, so programs in that area hold a certain appeal, but aside from that, I have no real geographic preference. I'm just hoping for some general feedback on how many programs to apply to or specific programs out west that might be attainable, in addition to any thoughts on the competitiveness of my app or suggestions on how to beef things up in these last few months before the ERAS submission date. Thanks.

You should have a great shot at the top Midwestern places, and if I were in your shoes I would apply to as many top academic places on the coasts as I could afford. You probably won't get MGH or UCSF, but you're not 100% out of the running and it is a crap shoot to some extent.

I think the top 4 CA programs and UWash are probably going to be serious reaches although that doesn't mean you shouldn't apply there. OHSU, UCD, USC, SCV, UCI, Utah, Colorado, etc are all programs you should be competitive at, as well as UMich, Mayo, NW, UChicago, CCF, etc. I think MIR may be the one reach in the Midwest. Apply to whatever east coast programs you're interested in; you should be competitive at most except the very top tier.

Hey guys,

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if you guys can help me out.

I'm currently a third year Osteopathic student

USMLE Step 1: 246
Comlex: not received yet

Research: 1 paper, co-author set to be published in a major journal (Radiology relevant)
1 abstract

Top 10% of my class

I know I'm currently at a handicap considering that I am a DO student but I'm wondering what you guys think regarding which programs I should consider/apply for and my chances.

I was born and raised in Southern California. I would love to go to a program in SoCal but I'm also aware how unlikely that is. Of course I wouldn't apply to UCLA, UCSF or any of the top programs. But I'm interested in Loma Linda, Kaiser Los Angeles, Cedars. I'm also considering programs in Texas and Florida, but I am not too fond of the Northeast or Midwest.

If you guys can give me some advice to strengthen my application as well that would be great!

Thank you!