FASFA Questions and FAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bored_Conscious

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So FASFA for 2021-2022 has been open for sometime and I was wondering if I need to apply for it again. I will be graduating Spring 2021 and will be applying for the 2021-2022 cycle. If I get accepted, I will not be starting school until Fall 2022. To clarify that I got this right, I do not have to apply for this upcoming 2021-2022 FASFA and only have to worry about applying for it when it opens up again 2022-2023 correct?

In addition, since I will have graduated Spring 2021. My 6-month deferment for my loans will end November 2021. For anyone who has been in this situation, have they been able to defer payment further by stating that they are currently applying for medical school? I will call them myself to make sure soon, but just wanted to see if anyone has been in my situation before. If so, how did you go about doing that?

Lastly, I think I qualify for FAP (Financial Assistance Program). I am a Texas applicant, but if I qualify for FAP I was thinking might as well apply to 15 OOS schools. Should I apply now if I am going to apply for the 2021-2022 cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

My memory is a little fuzzy but if I have every thing right then:

So FASFA for 2021-2022 has been open for sometime and I was wondering if I need to apply for it again. I will be graduating Spring 2021 and will be applying for the 2021-2022 cycle. If I get accepted, I will not be starting school until Fall 2022. To clarify that I got this right, I do not have to apply for this upcoming 2021-2022 FASFA and only have to worry about applying for it when it opens up again 2022-2023 correct?

If you are applying in June 2021, then you will fill out the 2022-2023 FAFSA. No need to fill out the 2021-2022 FAFSA if you have no school to send it to.

In addition, since I will have graduated Spring 2021. My 6-month deferment for my loans will end November 2021. For anyone who has been in this situation, have they been able to defer payment further by stating that they are currently applying for medical school? I will call them myself to make sure soon, but just wanted to see if anyone has been in my situation before. If so, how did you go about doing that?

This will depend on the terms of your loan. For federal loans, you are eligible for deferment when you are in school, not when you are applying to school. Payments will most likely begin. If you don't have a job, go on an income based repayment plan which should greatly diminish if not get rid of your monthly payment. Just remember interest may accrue

Lastly, I think I qualify for FAP (Financial Assistance Program). I am a Texas applicant, but if I qualify for FAP I was thinking might as well apply to 15 OOS schools. Should I apply now if I am going to apply for the 2021-2022 cycle?

Apply for FAP for the year in which you are going to use the benefits. The FAP application for 2021 should open sometime in the Spring. You can check their website for further details.

Reactions: 1 user
My memory is a little fuzzy but if I have every thing right then:

If you are applying in June 2021, then you will fill out the 2022-2023 FAFSA. No need to fill out the 2021-2022 FAFSA if you have no school to send it to.

This will depend on the terms of your loan. For federal loans, you are eligible for deferment when you are in school, not when you are applying to school. Payments will most likely begin. If you don't have a job, go on an income based repayment plan which should greatly diminish if not get rid of your monthly payment. Just remember interest may accrue

Apply for FAP for the year in which you are going to use the benefits. The FAP application for 2021 should open sometime in the Spring. You can check their website for further details.
Good to know. Thanks for the response. I'll still give them a call but good to know what I could expect.