Fastest way to become a doctor?

Tyler3585

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't want a loophole fast way, I was wondering about the combined college/ med school programs. Are they worth it? Medicine is my life. Ever since I was a kid it's all I've thought about. I was bullied growing up and in order to "cope" I would read my medical books. I loved them. I memorized them. It's what I love. Growing up I had bad anxiety and in order to calm myself down during a panic attackc, I would recite to myself the steps of a Craniotomy operation . I don't want it to sound like a "Sob story" I'm just very passionate about medicine. Medicine is all I know. I can't even imaging myself becoming anything else other than a surgeon. The reason I asked for the "fastest way" was because I honestly can wait. I get so excited that I become upset that I'm only a junior in high school. Any advice on the Combined med school/college options? My only problem is my gpa. I wasn't at school during my freshman and sophomore year. I had to get multiple operations and way very sick so I wasn't able to attend school. So my grades weren't stellar compared to middle school and junior year. I'm trying my hardest, but I keep having to miss chunks of the year because of my illness. Teachers come to the house to teach me. Would I still get in to these combined med school/ college options? Any advice? How do I deal with being upset on the length of time it would take me to become a doctor. I'm very passionate about it. Any advice? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The combined programs might save you a year. Honestly, don't be upset if you do not get into an accelerated track. If you would like, you can start shadowing/building connections with local surgeons. I think more people are better served enjoying senior year and taking classes that can help them in medical school. What is most important is to go a solid school where you will have to pay the least at.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if you did get into a combined program, at best you would do a year less to get your MD. You'd still have to go through even more stuff like internship year and residency. If you wanted to specialize even more or teach stuff, then you would do a fellowship. In the end, medicine is a long career path, so it wouldn't really matter if you took off a year in the big picture, but you would have a restrictive undergrad because of the higher standards. I don't know how your current grades will come into play since it is due to medical reasons, but I don't think it is worth doing a combined program.

Sounds like there is more to the story.

For whatever reason you were bullied as a youth/high school, realize bullies don't go away. Be sure you have developed a "thick skin" as I assure you, "gunners" do exist.

Do you have an aptitude for science? And by this I mean orgo chem, physics, your gpa may not kill you if you have illustrated an aptitude an interest in the sciences. The motivation is there, and if you can express this in a form of a quality personal statement, this may be impressive to the adcom. What other kids memorizes medical books in high school? (By the way I would look in to some anat/phys classes at your community college).

Combined programs do exist for a reason, it may be to welcome students like yourself. You will not find the answer here on student doctor network, whatever you do find will pale in comparison to talking to admistrators at these various programs, and the counselers THERE, not necessarily at your high school. Also, talk to your folks.

Don't be discouraged by residency, if you are motivated and show aptitude for physician life, preceptors will help you. Don't get me wrong, it is HARD (or so I hear), but they do pay you. Good luck.

Edit: people cope with bullying in various ways. For some strange reason incomprehensible to me, you CHOSE medical books. Perhaps it is in your nature.... best wishes in the new year!

Last edited:
I don't want a loophole fast way, I was wondering about the combined college/ med school programs. Are they worth it? Medicine is my life. Ever since I was a kid it's all I've thought about. I was bullied growing up and in order to "cope" I would read my medical books. I loved them. I memorized them. It's what I love. Growing up I had bad anxiety and in order to calm myself down during a panic attackc, I would recite to myself the steps of a Craniotomy operation . I don't want it to sound like a "Sob story" I'm just very passionate about medicine. Medicine is all I know. I can't even imaging myself becoming anything else other than a surgeon. The reason I asked for the "fastest way" was because I honestly can wait. I get so excited that I become upset that I'm only a junior in high school. Any advice on the Combined med school/college options? My only problem is my gpa. I wasn't at school during my freshman and sophomore year. I had to get multiple operations and way very sick so I wasn't able to attend school. So my grades weren't stellar compared to middle school and junior year. I'm trying my hardest, but I keep having to miss chunks of the year because of my illness. Teachers come to the house to teach me. Would I still get in to these combined med school/ college options? Any advice? How do I deal with being upset on the length of time it would take me to become a doctor. I'm very passionate about it. Any advice? Thanks

I would still apply to those combined programs and mention your situation in a letter, the application process should have a section allowing you to enter any extenuating circumstances.

If you don't get in its not a problem, its only an extra year or two to get your M.D. its not a big deal at the end of the day.

If you really have a passion to be a doctor, the length of time shouldn't stop you or make you sad. Go to your state's public university, excel in all your classes, do well on the MCAT and get into a Med School. Medicine is a commitment not a race.

Reactions: 1 user
QdeYIfI.jpg
[/IMG]
QdeYIfI.jpg

Boy, there ain't no fast "track."

Reactions: 2 users
The residency hours are greatly with exaggerated. With a four year residency, that would equate to 105 hours a week, absolute nonsense.
It's basing it off of a cardio thoracic residency that normally takes 4-6 years? Suppose it may be off lol, just found it funny. Point being before you become established your going invest a solid 35,000 hours into your life... People saying stuff like they want a fast-track. I'm graduating high school early, you want a fast track? Start right there then worry about other things.

It's basing it off of a cardio thoracic residency that normally takes 4-6 years? Suppose it may be off lol, just found it funny. Point being before you become established your going invest a solid 35,000 hours into your life... People saying stuff like they want a fast-track. I'm graduating high school early, you want a fast track? Start right there then worry about other things.
I'd still say 35,000 hours is greatly exaggerated. Really, everything about the whole infographic is. You really average maybe 70 hours a week over 8 years, which comes to roughly 27k hours. Most residencies, you're not pushing 80 hours a week every week after intern year- it's usually closer to 60-70, depending on specialty. They use cardiothoracic surgeon hours for training and work, primary care pay, don't factor in PAYE, PSLF, IBR, deductions- I mean, it's basically a terrible propoganda piece.

Becoming a physician early would actually alleviate some of the financial downsides of being a doctor, but would have some substantial impact on a younger student's social life and tune to develop as an adult. Then again, European doctors do it, so why not I guess...

The residency hours are greatly with exaggerated. With a four year residency, that would equate to 105 hours a week, absolute nonsense.

That is a low estimate for a standard general or vascular surgery residency number of hours. Their additional bump of 8000 hours for CT fellowship is maybe a little high for our current fellows, but not more than 10% off.

Most physicians do not do PSLF. IBR increases the amount that you end up paying back unless you do PSLF.

My brother is a high school physics teacher. He will have more purchasing power than me until I am in my 40s and I will have worked roughly 2.2 times the number of hours that he has up to that crossing point. Now of course, he gets paid more than your average teacher (Physics, advanced degrees, well paying area) and I am in a longer than average residency (7 years), but my expected pay at the end of this dwarfs his. You can easily argue that I will make more money than him over the course of our careers, which is almost assuredly true. But, I will have also spent ~20 years working/living with less material wealth/comfort than him in the process. That, is a lot.

Reactions: 1 users
That is a low estimate for a standard general or vascular surgery residency number of hours. Their additional bump of 8000 hours for CT fellowship is maybe a little high for our current fellows, but not more than 10% off.

Most physicians do not do PSLF. IBR increases the amount that you end up paying back unless you do PSLF.

My brother is a high school physics teacher. He will have more purchasing power than me until I am in my 40s and I will have worked roughly 2.2 times the number of hours that he has up to that crossing point. Now of course, he gets paid more than your average teacher (Physics, advanced degrees, well paying area) and I am in a longer than average residency (7 years), but my expected pay at the end of this dwarfs his. You can easily argue that I will make more money than him over the course of our careers, which is almost assuredly true. But, I will have also spent ~20 years working/living with less material wealth/comfort than him in the process. That, is a lot.
Great point doctor.

I'd still say 35,000 hours is greatly exaggerated. Really, everything about the whole infographic is. You really average maybe 70 hours a week over 8 years, which comes to roughly 27k hours. Most residencies, you're not pushing 80 hours a week every week after intern year- it's usually closer to 60-70, depending on specialty. They use cardiothoracic surgeon hours for training and work, primary care pay, don't factor in PAYE, PSLF, IBR, deductions- I mean, it's basically a terrible propoganda piece.

Becoming a physician early would actually alleviate some of the financial downsides of being a doctor, but would have some substantial impact on a younger student's social life and tune to develop as an adult. Then again, European doctors do it, so why not I guess...
It would help you in regards to financial. However, if he comes out with this mindset he will get burned out in the first 4 years of undergrad trying then proceed to 2 years of vigorous medical school training followed by 2 years of clinical rotations. Why rush that? Does it suck? Absolutely, without a doubt. Is every second important? Damn right it is, it makes you a better doctor for taking the time to truly learn everything you can.

I'd still say 35,000 hours is greatly exaggerated. Really, everything about the whole infographic is. You really average maybe 70 hours a week over 8 years, which comes to roughly 27k hours. Most residencies, you're not pushing 80 hours a week every week after intern year- it's usually closer to 60-70, depending on specialty. They use cardiothoracic the surgeon hours for training and work, primary care pay, don't factor in PAYE, PSLF, IBR, deductions- I mean, it's basically a terrible propoganda piece.

Does anybody have know how competitive those Loan Repayment/Forgiveness and Scholarship Programs are? On the AAMC website there is are dozens of them, most of which pay off quite a chunk of debt just for practicing in a rural area. I know I say "just" and many ppl think rural would be terrible but they seem like such good options to ppl like me who would like to work in these areas anyway.

Does anybody have know how competitive those Loan Repayment/Forgiveness and Scholarship Programs are? On the AAMC website there is are dozens of them, most of which pay off quite a chunk of debt just for practicing in a rural area. I know I say "just" and many ppl think rural would be terrible but they seem like such good options to ppl like me who would like to work in these areas anyway.
Pretty competitive actually. You have to have strong ties and demonstrate a serious commitment to primary care to be considered.

Pretty competitive actually. You have to have strong ties and demonstrate a serious commitment to primary care to be considered.

Eh, I'm not sure what the scholarship programs are like, but the Public Service Loan Forgiveness is not 'competitive' as you just have to sign up for it. Everyone qualifies as long as you are working directly for the government or a non-profit 501(c)(3). So your residency will most likely qualify as will many jobs. And it is irrespective of your specialty.

Eh, I'm not sure what the scholarship programs are like, but the Public Service Loan Forgiveness is not 'competitive' as you just have to sign up for it. Everyone qualifies as long as you are working directly for the government or a non-profit 501(c)(3). So your residency will most likely qualify as will many jobs. And it is irrespective of your specialty.
Oh, I was referring to the scholarships. Anybody can do PSLF.

There really is no fast track. The combined programs are ridiculously hard to get into, most of them are harder than ivy league schools. They look for top notch grades + test scores, in addition to extensive medical exposure. The only fast way I can think of is leaving the US and going to the UK or something.

This post reminds me of myself in high school a little, haha. I also had a serious illness in childhood and my parents were both in medicine, so I basically grew up surrounded by medicine and it was a HUGE hobby of mine: I had literally checked out every single children's medical-related nonfiction book in my entire county library system by 5th or 6th grade.

That being said I am really glad I did not go to a combined program even though I and my parents think I probably would have been a good candidate for one just b/c I did have a good idea of what the career entailed, and I was a good student.

I actually went to college and did a totally unrelated degree - in English. (I mean... it's obvious from the above I also liked to read lol.) I studied abroad in the UK (where I learned how to cook and do my own banking, gained a ton of confidence in myself, and travelled in countries where I couldn't speak the language). I spent my senior year of college writing a novel and a thesis about a subject I had been really passionate about my entire life. I also shadowed docs, did clinical research, and all the other typical pre-med things.

While towards the end of college, especially after I had gotten my acceptance, I was really ready to get going on my medical education, looking back I am glad I had that time off. Mainly, it allowed me to pursue other interests and experiences, which has become important to me for three reasons: 1. I could really take the time to explore various career options and subjects and make sure that medicine was right for me, as an adult and as an actual career, instead of just something I was fascinated by as a child and teen. 2. I could develop skills and hobbies (e.g. creative writing) that I have carried with me into my medical training. You can't make medicine your life; you will go crazy. 3. Medical training is very long and intense. Since I knew that's what I wanted to do, and also knew you didn't have to have a science major to get into medical school, I was able to take the time to do a major that was more for fun (with backup plan of ethics or teaching). I won't get an opportunity to really delve deep into any subject besides medicine until I get out of residency and fellowship and I am so grateful now to have had that time where I could be really passionate and learn a lot about something else that is important to me and brings me joy.

I also think waiting the extra year or two helps in terms of maturity. Last year, after starting third year, I honestly had a moment where I was thankful I wasn't doing that at 22 or 23 just because I knew it would've been emotionally harder for me. My friends and I were also talking recently about how you really have to have some solid life skills to get through medical school because it does take up so much of your time and energy - again this ties into maturity and having some life experience as an independent adult (for me that was studying abroad b/c I didn't have the backup support of being in a US college dorm anymore).

You do you and apply to those programs if you want. On the other hand the extra year or two isn't long in the long run of life and if the traditional college then med school route is where you end up (by choice or not), try to view it as an opportunity to explore other options/skills/subjects and have some fun doing something you won't get to do as much of during medical school (whether that is a liberal arts major, studying or volunteering abroad, unique volunteer opportunity, bench research, etc)!