Faust for AKT-1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funkyfaroh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey yall, quick question. I'm a CA-1 starting in August and want to read a bit for the AKT-1. Any thoughts on Faust as a starter review for it? I don't have MMM or the other texts yet since the program will be giving them to us on the first day. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Faust is a great review source but IMO I would just start reading morgan or baby miller(there are topics covered in each not addressed by the other). Establish a solid reading plan and stick to it all through residency. Maybe not what you want to hear but it is solid advice.

With the AKT1 you will take it the first week then repeat the same test at the end of the month(if I remember correctly) use the two as a guide as to how you are reading.

One important thing. Everytime you take an AKT or ITE you will get a set of personalized keywords back. Items you missed. They can be vague at times but I highly suggest you go to miller with them and make yourself a set of notes to go through prior to the next test.

Also its never too early to start doing questions(Not as a primary source). some people just put things together better once they do questions. I didnt start till CA3 doing questions on a regular basis but I think it makes all the difference putting things together IF you have a solid foundation.

I think faust, hall questions, and morgan are all due to come out with a new edition this year.

Hope this helps
BTW love the Avatar

Hey yall, quick question. I'm a CA-1 starting in August and want to read a bit for the AKT-1. Any thoughts on Faust as a starter review for it? I don't have MMM or the other texts yet since the program will be giving them to us on the first day. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

If you're studying for the AKT check out the content outline and memorize NMBD ED95s and E cylinder sizes and airway anatomy and the small details of how the machines/monitors work and basic CV/resp physiology. Don't read about labor epidurals or pediatric anesthesia or vascular cases.

But if you're just studying to prepare for being a CA-1 (a more worthwhile thing to do) I'd simply start with Baby Miller or M&M. Faust is not a "starter" review ... it's long, dense, and I think it would be an inefficient way to learn material for the first time. I tried to read Faust before starting residency and just couldn't do it.

I would't study specifically for the AKT-0. There's not much point in crushing it since you're expected to know nothing and they'll be more interested in seeing an improvement when you take the AKT-1 a month later.

I do think it's worthwhile to do well on the AKT 1 & 6 tests though, because when you inevitably screw up in the OR, it helps to be known as the guy who put up a 90+ ...

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard about a new edition of Faust? The latest is from 2001. I love the book, but it's about time. Nothing on Precedex. Can anyone here pass the word to Dr Faust or Dr Cucchiara?

Thanks a lot for all the advice. I'm trying to hit the road running. Its a bit daunting but very exciting too. Despite all the craziness involved with the change in Healthcare rapidly approaching, its reassuring to know that I'll be practicing Anesthesiology. Ya can't beat that in my opinion. Thanks again.