Favorite books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndyEmmDee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So Christmas break is approaching and I figure I'll have some time on my hands to do some leisure reading. Does anyone have recommendations for good medically-related books? Fiction/nonfiction are both fine.

I've already got "House of God" on my list to read. I may also check out "How Doctors Think" by Jerome Groopman, and a friend recommended "One hundred Days" by David Biro to me. I've already read Sandeep Jauhar's "Intern: A Doctor's Initiation" and I must say it was *amazing*...it's my favorite book of any type.

Does anyone have any favorite medically-related books? Anyone have recommendations for books that are similar to these?

Members don't see this ad.

Just read House of God and throw everything else away. Not just the other crap books you mentioned, but everything else on your book case. If your shelves look empty after all this, just buy more copies of House of God and read each one.

Learn it and absorb it. :thumbup:

Just read House of God and throw everything else away. Not just the other crap books you mentioned, but everything else on your book case. If your shelves look empty after all this, just buy more copies of House of God and read each one.

Learn it and absorb it. :thumbup:

:thumbup: Looove this book.

My work here is done...heading back to the pre-allo forum now. Carry on med students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really like "Intern Blues" and "What for chop today?"

If you like Atul Gawande, you might also want to check out books by Dr. Jerome Groopman - The Measure of our days, The Anatomy of Hope, How Doctors Think etc :)

Tracy Kidder Mountains Beyond Mountains
Atul Gawande Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science (Better is good too.)
Oliver Sacks The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales

Last edited:
Gotta make a plug for Ayn Rand. Atlas Shrugged :D
It was written more than half a century ago and it's still seeing over 100,000 copies a year sold. I think that figure has doubled since Fall 2008 too, since it's plot is so relevant to our current economic and political circumstances.
I'll warn you though, it's over 1000 pages, but it's page turner (for some, at least).

The medical relevance is that this book depicts what life might be like for doctors under the thumb of government control.

Gotta make a plug for Ayn Rand. Atlas Shrugged :D
so relevant to our current economic and political circumstances.

Really? I thought Objectivists were having a crisis of faith due to the economic collapse last year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Greenspan (Fed Chairman & Ayn Rand Devotee): I have found a flaw. I don’t know how significant or permanent it is. But I have been very distressed by that fact.

Congressman Waxman: In other words, you found that your view of the world, your ideology, was not right, it was not working.

Greenspan: Absolutely, precisely, you know, that’s precisely the reason I was shocked, because I have been going for 40 years or more with very considerable evidence that it was working exceptionally well.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tracy Kidder Mountains Beyond Mountains
Atul Gawande Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science (Better is good too.)
Oliver Sacks The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales

I read a few cases from "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat" back in my senior year of high school. Amazing book if you're into psychiatry at all...I found them fascinating.

The Spirit Cathes You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman

Whats it about: A Hmong Child, Her american doctors, and the collision of two cultures.

DEMON IN THE FREEZER , Dan Preston

Much better than HOTZONE, his other bestseller

I read a few cases from "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat" back in my senior year of high school. Amazing book if you're into psychiatry at all...I found them fascinating.

Psychiatry? I have only read 1 of the little stories but it was completely neuro based, not psych. Is the rest of the book psych?

Psychiatry? I have only read 1 of the little stories but it was completely neuro based, not psych. Is the rest of the book psych?

I only read a few of 'em and it was a long time ago (senior year of high school - 2003/04), but I think they were mostly psych cases? Do correct me if I'm wrong.

I only read a few of 'em and it was a long time ago (senior year of high school - 2003/04), but I think they were mostly psych cases? Do correct me if I'm wrong.

All the cases deal with brain function and I've always considered it a Psyc book. Don't all the cases describe some behavioral aspect resulting from a loss of particular brian function? I guess Pysc and Neuro do kind of go hand-in-hand and I think the author is a Neurologist, but the book was assigned reading for some Psyc classes available at my college if I recall right.

It's a neuro-psyc book. :D

If you haven't read Gawande's books, I'd definitely recommend Better (For some reason, I liked it a lot more than Complications).

I finished On Call: A Doctor's Days and Nights in Residency by Emily Transue a few days ago and really enjoyed it as well.

One more recommendation...Stiff: the curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. I just started it, but the book has been very entertaining so far and is very different from the stuff by Gawande, Groopman, ect., but still medically related. :)

If you haven't read Gawande's books, I'd definitely recommend Better (For some reason, I liked it a lot more than Complications).

I finished On Call: A Doctor's Days and Nights in Residency by Emily Transue a few days ago and really enjoyed it as well.

One more recommendation...Stiff: the curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. I just started it, but the book has been very entertaining so far and is very different from the stuff by Gawande, Groopman, ect., but still medically related. :)

I LOVED Stiff!!!!