Favorite CME resource

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
New(ish) attending here and I’m just wondering what everyone’s favorite learning resources are? Not just for CME but resources that help you stay up to date and on top of your game. Thanks for suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

ASA website education center. Go to "Find learning"-> "Shop ASA". Plenty of free cme there for ASA members. At least 12 free CME per year from the monthly journal CME. They also have random educational course with free cme like muscle relaxant education, etc.

As a new attending, you can do free journal CME from the previous 2 years, so that's another 24 free cme your first year. But once you catch up, you can only do 12 journal cme per year plus a few random stuffs.

I need 25 cme per year, so I usually have to look for 10 cme from other sources each year, which is easy enough to do with google.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, does anyone know if you are allowed to earn all 250 CME hours in your first 5 years out of the 10 year cycle (obviously <60 per year, as stipulated), or do they mandate X number come in years 6-10? Nowhere on the MOCA 2.0 site do I see mention of this, yet in one of the recent ASA mailings there was some comment to that effect. This would seriously f*ck over my plan of getting them all done early in the cycle.

Also, does anyone know if you are allowed to earn all 250 CME hours in your first 5 years out of the 10 year cycle (obviously <60 per year, as stipulated), or do they mandate X number come in years 6-10? Nowhere on the MOCA 2.0 site do I see mention of this, yet in one of the recent ASA mailings there was some comment to that effect. This would seriously f*ck over my plan of getting them all done early in the cycle.
You need 20+ CME hours/year in most states (for the medical license) anyway.

For my non-ASA member needs, I have recently found SelfStudyPlus from OpenAnesthesia (IARS) to be both good and affordable (especially if one needs a lot of CME hours).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
It's not an issue. If you maintain a license (MOCA part 1), and occasionally go to a conference, you'll be fine on the CME side. Somewhere along the line knock out 20 hours of patient safety.

I just read what I want without regard to whether it'll count as CME credits.