Favorite songs of Non-trads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mindscrew

MS MHA-MPH
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Wish you were here - Pink Floyd
2. Nortorious BIG - One more chance remix
3. Journey - Dont's stop believin
4. Brown eyed girl - Vanmorrison

Members don't see this ad.

1. Wish you were here - Pink Floyd
2. Nortorious BIG - One more chance remix
3. Journey - Dont's stop believin
4. Brown eyed girl - Vanmorrison

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'm going to post mine but just loved that you put "Wish You Were Here" up there. When I heard that song for the first time I fell in love. Went out shopping for guitars the next day!

I love that song. but I feel its important to add a mix

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else noticed the trend of feel good self esteem booster pop sings lately? Lately my iPod has been rockin'

Raise Your Glass by P!nk

Firework by Katy Perry

Born This Way by Lady Gaga

All of these songs have a "You're Special" and /or "It's okay to be different" theme. Don't we nontrads need that? ;)

Has anyone else noticed the trend of feel good self esteem booster pop sings lately? Lately my iPod has been rockin'

Raise Your Glass by P!nk

Firework by Katy Perry

Born This Way by Lady Gaga

All of these songs have a "You're Special" and /or "It's okay to be different" theme. Don't we nontrads need that? ;)

No offense, but you have an aweful taste in music my friend ;)

My current favorites:

Paolo Nutini: Last Request & New Shoes
Adele: Rollin in the deep (if you haven't heard, check it out!)
Basia Bulat: Heart of my own
Ray Lamontagne: You are the best thing
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros: Home

I could keep going, but I'll stop there...

Last edited:
No offense, but you have an aweful taste in music my friend ;)

Nothin wrong with throwin in a little Lady Gaga or Pink once in a while.

So, I can NEVER pick a favorite anything (commitment issues) so here are the songs I'm feelin this week :

1) "Superman"- Robin Thicke
2) "Dreamworld"-Robin Thicke (I been listening to a lot of him lately)
3) "Paint it Black"-Rolling Stones
4) "Taper Jean Girl" - Kings of Leon

The list changes every day but I definitely love me some Robin Thicke! :)

Oh and Adele is amazing.

None Shall Pass- Aesop Rock
Quitters- Debaser
Unstoppable- E.S. Posthumus
The Future Soon- Jonathon Coulton
Hate Aside- Sandpeople
Can't Get There From Here- Spose
Vicarious- Tool

Those are the big ones. Pretty much anything by any of those artists. Plus many more.

Never trust a big butt and a smile.

Members don't see this ad :)

:thumbup: SDN is majorly lacking in hip hop.

Oh, just thought of another song (not hip hop): "Number One" by John Legend.

I'm still trying to figure out which of my favorite songs are least embarrassing to share. ;)

she's so flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Oh I had that single on tape. Played it over and over all summer long practicing my running man and cabbage patch with all the neighborhood kids. :laugh: I cried a little when one student mentioned hearing it for the first time on that Scrubs show. :(

Oh man I can go on for days in this thread, but off the top of my head:

[YOUTUBE]T652bE3YzEU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]IaNzrXAUHBk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]tXuNa_h804c[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]fL7Za5waqls[/YOUTUBE]

Personally, Peaches >>>>> Lady Gaga

OMG N3XA. You've quickly become one of my favorite people on SDN for that post. Jam on it!? Wowness. Don't know why I'm surprised though, you are from Cali. Where I grew up it was all about oldschool.

Anyway, I'm off for the weekend so wanted to leave my songs of the day!

"Spirit in the Sky"-Norman Greenbaum
moral: you gotta have a friend in Jesus!

"Sunshine of Your Love"- Cream (Live)
moral: guitar solo can end world hunger

"I've Got a Rock 'n' Roll Heart"- Eric Clapton
moral: dude has a fetish for '57 Chevys?

Have a great weekend all you gorgeous non-trads! :love:

OMG N3XA. You've quickly become one of my favorite people on SDN for that post. Jam on it!? Wowness. Don't know why I'm surprised though, you are from Cali. Where I grew up it was all about oldschool.

Anyway, I'm off for the weekend so wanted to leave my songs of the day!

"Spirit in the Sky"-Norman Greenbaum
moral: you gotta have a friend in Jesus!

"Sunshine of Your Love"- Cream (Live)
moral: guitar solo can end world hunger

"I've Got a Rock 'n' Roll Heart"- Eric Clapton
moral: dude has a fetish for '57 Chevys?

Have a great weekend all you gorgeous non-trads! :love:

Love ALL those songs...

Add some Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, and Led Zeppelin, plus the Floyd listed earlier... Hip Hop belongs on the pre-med allo forum... not the non-trad forum ;) And for when I'm feeling mellow and lovey -- Peter, Paul, and Mary, Simon and Garfunkel, James Taylor, and Jim Croce

Where's the metal people at? Its my ultimate study music. And I usually listen to whole albums more so than individual songs- that way I can leave it on cruise control and work.

1) Symphony X - Paradise Lost

2) Children of Bodom - Relentless Reckless Forever

3) Hmm...throw in some Winger - Pull

4) Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction (aka countdown to mcat)

5) Lamb of God - Anything cause they are bomb.

I may be somewhat unusual in my choice of study music, but its great - like white noise!!

The Trooper - Iron Maiden
Anything by Bruce Cockburn or James Taylor.
Chopin
The Berserker
Goatwhore
Old and In the Way
Grisman & Garcia
Bela Fleck

OMG N3XA. You've quickly become one of my favorite people on SDN for that post. Jam on it!? Wowness. Don't know why I'm surprised though, you are from Cali. Where I grew up it was all about oldschool

awwwe you're too sweet! :love: 98.1 kiss fm is my go-to station the minute I fly back into SFO/OAK.

The beginning of Eminem-Not Afraid.

Don't Stop Believing :laugh:

Fleet Foxes- Mykonos

I've got some favorites that I only play in the car with the windows up because they're just too embarrassing.

Love ALL those songs...

Add some Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, and Led Zeppelin, plus the Floyd listed earlier... Hip Hop belongs on the pre-med allo forum... not the non-trad forum ;) And for when I'm feeling mellow and lovey -- Peter, Paul, and Mary, Simon and Garfunkel, James Taylor, and Jim Croce

Ya. Definitely love all of those as well! If Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain" comes on no one is allowed to speak till it's over.

Where's the metal people at? Its my ultimate study music. And I usually listen to whole albums more so than individual songs- that way I can leave it on cruise control and work.

I wish I was more into metal. Makes me feel like I'm not so well rounded as a music lover. I DID try to listen to some Children of Bodom but I got scared :lame:. I think I'm a lightweight when it comes to metal.

awwwe you're too sweet! :love: 98.1 kiss fm is my go-to station the minute I fly back into SFO/OAK.

I miss SF radio soo much. It was something to look forward to on the horrible commute after work. They've got the best commute mixes ever!

I've got some favorites that I only play in the car with the windows up because they're just too embarrassing.

I've got some too :). Let's hear some of those! :thumbup:

I'm pretty bummed right now. Got called into work just when I thought I'd FINALLY have a full weekend off.

Oh well, get to post on sdn :D

The Trooper - Iron Maiden
Anything by Bruce Cockburn or James Taylor.
Chopin
The Berserker
Goatwhore
Old and In the Way
Grisman & Garcia
Bela Fleck

My friend is a good friend of the guys in Goatwhore. Not my favorite flavor of music, a lil much for me, but we both like Gojira. \m/:smuggrin: \m/

I'm more of a Sepultura, Corrosion of Conformity, Metallica kind of girl. I have a wide range in what I listen to though.

Here's a random mix for your listening pleasure:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NiwqRSCWw2g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I1EshB__5kk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QjsjZWlRVvo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/t0XrKF19yzE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TxcDTUMLQJI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C7TPDZN0FhU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, my old vocalist got to know Sammy pretty well since we played quite a few shows with them.

Btw: I grew up on Sepultura, Machine Head, Slayer, White Zombie, Pantera, etc. I love all those bands especially their work from the early '90s. I like MH better now though and wish White Zombie was still around.
I love me some Alison Krauss as well.

Yeah, my old vocalist got to know Sammy pretty well since we played quite a few shows with them.

Btw: I grew up on Sepultura, Machine Head, Slayer, White Zombie, Pantera, etc. I love all those bands especially their work from the early '90s. I like MH better now though and wish White Zombie was still around.

Definitely. I just watched the last Ozzfest on Netflix, and Rob is just still so kickass (or I guess he was at least at the last ozzfest lol)

Rightpath - awesome taste. You must like cavalera conspiracy. I've been listening to their Blunt Force Trauma record on infinity loop!

All the metal totally threw me off. I can't handle anything more intense than Metallica.

Give me some suggestions for not so hardcore metal that wont give me nightmares.

Also, I love the avatar 0919mmk! Charlie is my favorite

:love: "When you say..." was my wedding first dance song *sigh*. Not super original, but hey, I love, love, love it.

Machine Head are local homeboys so you know they have a special place in my heart. This song describes my husband (also a Bay Area musician on a much lesser scale) to a T (well, about 20 years ago- he's a role model husband and daddy now).

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1KhdhqYAzik" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is some more local scene love- my other favorite local band- unfortunately broke up years ago- not forgotten and definitely missed. Chris Anderson introduced me to my husband in the first place- whoa am I getting all nostalgic or what?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H1APw94Ram0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And I'm going to throw this link in here for pure randomness and because I'm have no shame in saying I rock this record all old school on the Stanton.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tlN3c_-oc3s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Favorite female talent- also broken up. Saw 'em at Ozzfest '99 and OMG!!!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wsmkxNWmBgc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's the last link for the day... Hope you enjoyed!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6qJBjctdhEw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh and about the Cavalera Conspiracy.... unless I'm brain farting I think that's the last show I've been to (it was at Slims), and it was a long, long time ago. I almost never see any local or large shows these days.... sad. I like Sepultura better and Soulfly too for that matter. It's the style of the drums, I think... Plus I tend to like slow and heavy crushing rather than speed/thrash... and very very picky about which cookiemonster style vocals I like.

All the metal totally threw me off. I can't handle anything more intense than Metallica.

Give me some suggestions for not so hardcore metal that wont give me nightmares.

You might like this...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1WvosaAKKF8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shamelessly plugging friends' bands again! ;)

They just broke up too though, like in the last week or so. Sorry to say.

How about Metallica? :D Honestly, I can't think of any metal band that I listen to that doesn't inspire nightmares. That's kind of what it's about. The darker side of life no one wants to talk about or acknowledge.

How about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfB7vF7nCdA

Turned 37 and now Toto had made my list...Summin about rainy africa rocks my commute. :)

These Days -- The Black Keys
Everlasting Light -- The Black Keys
Awake My Soul -- Mumford and Sons
Low Rising -- The Swell Season
In Other Words -- Ben Kweller

Just can't get enough of some Keys.

Thanks! I love that show...

There's lots of good "non-nightmare" metal, but most of it is from the 80's and early 90's. I am partial to Extreme, Winger, Skid Row, Guns'n'Roses, etc. But like they said, if you like metallica, run with it, cause they are awesome. OH, if you like metallica, try Trivium. They are kind of like a modern version of metallica, in that the lead singer/guitar player worships metallica openly, so I like it- kind of an updated version.

And if you are in to intellectual music, definitely check out DreamTheater and SymphonyX - not nightmare metal, but very interesting, very musical.

These Days -- The Black Keys
Everlasting Light -- The Black Keys
Awake My Soul -- Mumford and Sons
Low Rising -- The Swell Season
In Other Words -- Ben Kweller

Just can't get enough of some Keys.

Black Keys are awesome, though I am a little less excited about them now that i have to hear them 60 times a day on top40 radio! Still, good choice :thumbup:

oh I also forgot

5. Turn your lights down low - lauryn hill & bob marley
6. La vie en rose - edith piaf
7. no woman no cry - bob marley

Black Keys are awesome, though I am a little less excited about them now that i have to hear them 60 times a day on top40 radio! Still, good choice :thumbup:

That is precisely the reason I don't listen to FM radio -- I let my iPod shuffle feature dictate what I listen to. :D

Umm... :horns:Steel Panther:horns: Greatest metal parody band in the history of all things good and unholy!

How about Metallica? :D Honestly, I can't think of any metal band that I listen to that doesn't inspire nightmares. That's kind of what it's about. The darker side of life no one wants to talk about or acknowledge.

How about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfB7vF7nCdA

Lolz.... reminded me of this song:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MfJzX94fGIw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Generally I am NOT into hairband style metal/LA glam rock, but once in a while, hey why not?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8QHR5w3eoQU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How about Metallica? :D

I love "Sandman", but that's literally the only Metallica song I know and love. I need to look into their other stuff

OH, if you like metallica, try Trivium. They are kind of like a modern version of metallica, in that the lead singer/guitar player worships metallica openly, so I like it- kind of an updated version.

And if you are in to intellectual music, definitely check out DreamTheater and SymphonyX - not nightmare metal, but very interesting, very musical.

I'm seriously gonna try these. Need to fill in the gaps that exist in my iPod.

7. no woman no cry - bob marley

Almost definitely my all-time favorite Bob Marley song. I just love it.

I love "Sandman", but that's literally the only Metallica song I know and love. I need to look into their other stuff

I'm seriously gonna try these. Need to fill in the gaps that exist in my iPod.

Almost definitely my all-time favorite Bob Marley song. I just love it.

Me too!

Side note: you can embed YouTube video directly in your posts by taking the stuff in the URL following the "v=", but before any '&', OR anything after the "embed" string, and enclosing it in YOUTUBE tags.

From The right Path's post: http://www.youtube.com/embed/MfJzX94fGIw becomes

[YOUTUBE]MfJzX94fGIw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]MfJzX94fGIw[/YOUTUBE]

or from RFHawks's post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfB7vF7nCdA becomes

[YOUTUBE]yfB7vF7nCdA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]yfB7vF7nCdA[/YOUTUBE]

Back to your regularly scheduled thread. :thumbup:

Side note: you can embed YouTube video directly in your posts by taking the stuff in the URL following the "v=", but before any '&', OR anything after the "embed" string, and enclosing it in YOUTUBE tags.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread. :thumbup:

Lol. Thanks Mauberley! :thumbup:

I actually didn't know how to do this either. Still learnin bout the internets.

Thanks Mauberly!

Trying it out:
[YOU TUBE]qtivSTZrezc[/YOU TUBE]

I'm doing it wrong.

Last edited:
[YOUTUBE]qtivSTZrezc[/YOUTUBE]

Freaking finally!

Maybe it just doesn't work when you're trying to edit?

Freaking finally!

Maybe it just doesn't work when you're trying to edit?

Congrats! Andrea Bocelli is amazing.

Does this make anyone else think of Step Brothers though? I can't get past it.

qotsa. love the beginning of this song, so haunting

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpDNuZW-tTA[/YOUTUBE]

Oh man - love alice in chains, love qotsa - right on.

I've been listening to Steel Panther all morning while doing confocal microscopy - frikkin genius. Seriously. The guitar playing and vocals are actually really really good, AND they're doing the Spinal Tap thing, which I just think is genius. Satchel used to teach at GIT! Love it.

Last edited: