favorite type of meatball?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Prepare to pack your bags and move to fly over country, my friend. Family medicine will welcome you with open arms.

Lol, but really. You should have no problem with academic IM or PM&R. Just try to reevaluate what you're doing (if you haven't already) so that you can get out of the bottom of the class.

Reactions: 1 user
Step 1 matters more, as do clinical grades. But if you're just cruising along and not learning things, doing well on boards is going to be a hard thing to do.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are the classes I’ve taken so far very board relevant? I heard that gross anatomy and histo are pretty low yield, but I’m not sure

The point isn't only about yield, but also about learning how to answer test questions. Granted, if you go to a DO school, your professors probably can't write a good test question to save their lives (like my school), but you should really be doing practice questions throughout your preclinicals through qbanks. You want to get an early start in learning this material.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I got C’s in all of my major pre-clinical classes during my first semester of M1 (gross anatomy, biochem, histology). I got A’s and B’s in the classes that don’t matter (omm, behavioral medicine, etc.). I didn’t fail anything, but I am now in the bottom 10% of the class.

Does this count as a red flag? Is this a bad sign for boards? If I change to A’s and B’s next semester, will I be able to redeem myself? Honestly, I started out med school not knowing what I was doing. I hope I haven’t permanently relegated myself to community FM; I was gonna aim for university IM or PM&R.
If C = 70, not good.

If C = 75+, you should be OK. Just try to improve.

Bottom 10th %ile, that is worrisome, but without seeing avg's for the Class, it's hard to predict. But there's still lots of room for improvement.

read this:

I’ve been told bottom quintile is a red flag. It’s low enough I would worry about how you’re going to perform on boards.

That being said I know there are people in my class who figured out how to study more efficiently and raised their rank all the way to 50th percentile after a rough start. Just try and figure out how to best adjust and get better grades. Work on that this next semester and then once you get that down then start thinking about boards.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Prepare to pack your bags and move to fly over country, my friend. Family medicine will welcome you with open arms.

Lol, but really. You should have no problem with academic IM or PM&R. Just try to reevaluate what you're doing (if you haven't already) so that you can get out of the bottom of the class.
Academic IM is quite competitive for a DO. Im assuming this is uni IM to which you are referring-do you mean community IM?

I got C’s in all of my major pre-clinical classes during my first semester of M1 (gross anatomy, biochem, histology). I got A’s and B’s in the classes that don’t matter (omm, behavioral medicine, etc.). I didn’t fail anything, but I am now in the bottom 10% of the class.

Does this count as a red flag? Is this a bad sign for boards? If I change to A’s and B’s next semester, will I be able to redeem myself? Honestly, I started out med school not knowing what I was doing. I hope I haven’t permanently relegated myself to community FM; I was gonna aim for university IM or PM&R.
Howd you do in physio? That is high yield on Step and if youre struggling in that class get tutors and do more practice questions asap. If you arent doing practice questions, never have gotten a tutor and/or you have testing anxiety issues I may have found your problems. These issues are fixable so do not panic

I started Zanki (lots of work, not for everyone)+ the 3 passes system when we hit systems and it worked for me. This isn’t the end of the world at the moment. But it is a sign that you need to step it up. Sounds like you haven’t quite figured out how to study yet. That’s ok, but it really will only get more intense from here. If it’s a mental health thing, your school can point you in the right direction. If it’s a “how to study?” Thing, Goros guide is good and you can find info about any resource and how to use it on here.

FYI, you’ll probably always be in the bottom half of the class even if you rock it from here on in. It’s virtually impossible to overcome at this point so I wouldn’t focus on it too much.

Reactions: 3 users
Academic IM is quite competitive for a DO. Im assuming this is uni IM to which you are referring-do you mean community IM?

No, I'm talking about academic. I don't think it will be a problem for the OP, as long as he/she figures his/her academics out. But it may be harder than I thought. How competitive on a scale of community FM to derm?

No, I'm talking about academic. I don't think it will be a problem for the OP, as long as he/she figures his/her academics out. But it may be harder than I thought. How competitive on a scale of community FM to derm?
“Academic IM” isn’t bad, depending on ones definition. You can match a low-tier university program in a DO-friendly state with just comlex. But once you start going past that, there’s a sharp increase in competition and the 250+ Step applicants with 10 pubs start hitting a ceiling at what most would consider mid tier programs with even some of them being reaches.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
“Academic IM” isn’t bad, depending on ones definition. You can match a low-tier university program in a DO-friendly state with just comlex. But once you start going past that, there’s a sharp increase in competition and the 250+ Step applicants with 10 pubs start hitting a ceiling at what most would consider mid tier programs with even some of them being reaches.
Nothing but the truth here Ho0v. I was floored to see the avg step scores on frieda of some of the programs some would know as “mid tier” namely Wake and Gtown-yup 245+

What about OP going for Anesthesia or something like that?

What about OP going for Anesthesia or something like that?

Step, clinical grades, letters, and research are more important for a lot of specialties. Class rank and preclinical grades typically matter more for the MD side when people are trying to get Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) status. AOA goes a long way. DO side doesn't have an equivalent honors society.

Anesthesia isn't very competitive at all.

Reactions: 3 users
Step, clinical grades, letters, and research are more important for a lot of specialties. Class rank and preclinical grades typically matter more for the MD side when people are trying to get Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) status. AOA goes a long way. DO side doesn't have an equivalent honors society.

Anesthesia isn't very competitive at all.
I know its not but im surprised. ROAD specialty and all

I know its not but im surprised. ROAD specialty and all

It's interesting. I don't even know when gas was last truly competitive. Maybe 15-20 years ago? I think it's on a slight upswing now because people are really looking for "lifestyle". The explosion of med schools is also a contributing factor.

Funnily enough, based on what I know, it isn't a lifestyle specialty nowadays. I think they work 60 hours, on average. Their lives are pretty unpredictable because they're joined to surgeons at the hip, and something can always go wrong, extending OR time. One of the only ways to have a cush lifestyle is doing a "mommy" track, but those have significant downsides to take into consideration.

idk rads ophtho and derm seem like pretty sweet deals in reference to lifestyle and pay

That's true, but there are other specialties that also can be considered to be "lifestyle specialties" and offer great work-life balance. Doing fellowships in various specialties also has the potential to increase your pay with perhaps little effect on lifestyle.

Start doing zanki phys once you start systems. It's gold. I wish I had done it M1.

Nah bro you're good. I study with a few guys who got all C's first year and now are in the B+ to A- range during second year. They began more interactive group study and go ham on flashcards (Zanki). Don't be afraid to change things up a bit if they aren't working and focus on little wins. FWIW, I stunk at anatomy but am able to way way better on anything phys, path, and pharm related for whatever reason so keep your head up - it'll get better.

Cs are ok first sem but the study habits that lead to C are not

• Haha
If this catches on, it’ll likely be my greatest contribution to medicine.

We need to all start dropping this term randomly in the pre-med forum. An entire first year class of medical students will be familiar with and using the term...

• Haha
For what it’s worth I shadowed a neurosurgery PD the other day and he said they don’t even look at preclinical grades. They judge your first 2 years solely off of step 1 then move in to other metrics.

I was on the admission committee for my residency program (ACGME program, anti-DO field), and no one that I knew cared about M1/M2 grades. I didn't even look at it. I looked at LOR, research, clinical years, and Step scores. I happen to care less about step scores but others on the committee cared more.

I would, however, count getting an A in OMM against you. It means you are kooky or really into OMM, both of which won't score you points. ( I slightly kid, but just slightly)

Reactions: 4 users
I was on the admission committee for my residency program (ACGME program, anti-DO field), and no one that I knew cared about M1/M2 grades. I didn't even look at it. I looked at LOR, research, clinical years, and Step scores. I happen to care less about step scores but others on the committee cared more.

I would, however, count getting an A in OMM against you. It means you are kooky or really into OMM, both of which won't score you points. ( I slightly kid, but just slightly)
Well our OMM professor makes our OMM exams extraordinarily straight forward, meaning average class exam scores sit around an 88 or so. I barely studied for our first exam this last semester and got a 100 based off his study guide, and I am the first one to admit how I will likely NOT use the vast majority of the OMM I learn if any. I know you slightly kid, but please keep that in mind lol.

I looked at LOR, research, clinical years, and Step scores. I happen to care less about step scores but others on the committee cared more.
This makes me feel very similar to med school admission process: depending on who's reading your app, some care more about GPA, while some care more about the MCAT. Is the similar logic used in residency app?

This makes me feel very similar to med school admission process: depending on who's reading your app, some care more about GPA, while some care more about the MCAT. Is the similar logic used in residency app?
Almost everyone puts heavy weight on the Step score, unavoidable, but some do put more weight than others, such that a low step score will not be redeemed by a strong third year. I am not in that camp, but those people exist. Going through applications is actually very tedious and took me a while, if someone wanted to speed it up they can use step 1 crudely, but you can miss diamonds that way.

Almost everyone puts heavy weight on the Step score, unavoidable, but some do put more weight than others, such that a low step score will not be redeemed by a strong third year. I am not in that camp, but those people exist. Going through applications is actually very tedious and took me a while, if someone wanted to speed it up they can use step 1 crudely, but you can miss diamonds that way.
Does a good step 2 score redeem a low/below average step 1 in your view? To what extent?

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Does a good step 2 score redeem a low/below average step 1 in your view? To what extent?

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

It helps, but does not erase the "stigma" of a low score. When combined with everything else (research, LOR, step 2, interview), a low step 1 can be forgiven. This is at least at my program, may be different at others. The interview itself is equal to all the above factors combined at my program, so even a "weak" candidate on paper who did well in the interview can be ranked quite well.