Favorite type of music to listen to while studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bwg08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who study with music on what kinds of music do you listen to?

Me normally it's any type of R&B Drake.
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I've gotten to the point where I almost can't study at all without music. I just need the background noise more than anything. I typically listen to various types of rock, but it needs to be stuff I've heard a ton or I get distracted and pay more attention to the music than the studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like silence. No music. In fact, I usually pop in ear plugs, especially when at the library, everybody seems to feel free to talk in the library, even on the "quiet floor".

Always depends on the type of studying you are doing, such as reading, or working out problems.

For reading, I usually listen to classical music, preferably violin/piano solos, with no lyrics.

For working out problems such as math/chem I can listen to anything preferably rock/hardcore. Really gets the juices flowing lol

i use the "white noise" app on the iphone. plays enough background music for me to study

how can anyone study while listening to that type of noise is beyond me. I can't see myself learning stereoisomers while hearing someone about capping someone's @$$.

but hey, if anything works for you then go for it

For intense reading, I prefer jazz....hard-bop especially. For working out problems, I prefer a quickmix on Pandora.....I either jam the Roots/Wu-Tang/Common or Alkaline Trio/Get Up Kids/Elvis Costello/The Smiths.

Chopin, Kid Cudi, and classic rock are my usual study tunes.

how can anyone study while listening to that type of noise is beyond me. I can't see myself learning stereoisomers while hearing someone about capping someone's @$$.

but hey, if anything works for you then go for it
Drake?
uBAmA.png

Members don't see this ad :)
I like some alternative..something mellowish like radiohead or kings of leon. Throw in some hiphop and bachata/reggaeton once in a while lol

And it true what you said about people being loud as hell in the library..one of these days I'm going to lose it and just throw a damn book then my fist.

Classical. Ever listened to Yiruma?

Really varies for me. Lately I'll listen to Ben Folds or Noah and the Whale; but I'll also listen to anything harmonic or folksy like the Weakerthans, Bob Dylan, Bright Eyes, etc...

Really varies for me. Lately I'll listen to Ben Folds or Noah and the Whale; but I'll also listen to anything harmonic or folksy like the Weakerthans, Bob Dylan, Bright Eyes, etc...

So good.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdNU9yYwglQ[/YOUTUBE]

I can't listen to anything while I'm studying. don't know why but any noise just makes it harder to concentrate.

Okay Delano I bet you like this one.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4er9gIn9hM[/YOUTUBE]

I can't listen to anything while I'm studying. don't know why but any noise just makes it harder to concentrate.

Same here. One can only do one thing. Imagine listening to Drake while reading micro...

Jazz. I sometimes study at Starbucks, so coffee-shop music works well for me too. :cool:

Symphonic metal (the non-screaming kind) is pretty good for studying I think. Enigma is really good for studying also.

And... wretches and kings by linkin park ;)

Death metal and hip-hop are the only way to go!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R06ZRt3lIgE[/YOUTUBE] or the Red Hot Chili Peppers only when I do homework.

The sounds of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Especially the Intervention.

Some legit music in this thread. I like:
-E.S. Posthumus (check it out- epic music that's used a lot in movie trailers)
-Some metal: Pelican, Tool, TesseracT, Meshuggah, Karnivool (my favorite band at the moment, super nice dudes with cool accents)
-Gangstagrass
-GirlTalk
-Kid Cudi
-Glitch Mob
-Lil Wayne
-Slightly Stoopid
-all the requisite classical music and remixes thereof

Edit because I failed hard at embedding.

[youtube]jhDQotk9mxg[/youtube]

And other songs by her.

I can't listen to anything with vocals, but I like having music when I study micro lectures.

- Chopin is my #1 go to. Love love LOVE Chopin. What's better is you can listen to pretty much everything online for free...public domain and all ;)
- Various video game soundtracks, mostly Final Fantasy Piano collections, NIER, Xenosaga, etc. Good stuff. Just something about piano melodies really help me focus.

Not while doing any kind of calculation-based studying though...that I need silence so I can talk it out to myself, lol.

Awesome movie soundtracks do it for me...especially from composers like John Williams, Hanz Zimmerman, and Thomas Newman. I love listening to the battle theme from the movie Gladiator before an exam too lol

From my experience:

Music can make it easier to study but it can also cause problems.

The obvious problem is that you may not be able to focus while listening to death metal.

The less obvious problem is you may have trouble recalling the information in an exam environment.

When you take your quiz/test/exam, you won't be relaxed and listening to music. The room will be as quite as possible and you'll probably be nervous.

Research shows that in order to recall something, it helps to be in a similar state as when you first learned it.

That said, I sometimes listen to ambient rain to filter out enviornmental distractions. However, nothing beats a dead silent room because that's what the exam room should be.

Last edited:
Grades have increased since I started listening to trance and progressive while studying... could not have gotten through pharmacy school without it... Get free podcasts on iTunes, search for trance around the world with Above and Beyond for a free 2hr mix weekly... there are countless others but that is a good starting point..

example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQSUeoyrOeU

Mogwai is my official study music... lyrics tend to distract me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC_3alnTE9g
The Fountain soundtrack is my most listened to CD, always when I'm studying. It's so amazing. I love the Kronos Quartet (who collaborated w/ Mogwai for the soundtrack) but maybe i should check out more of mogwai's stuff. I generally listen to movie soundtracks and well as minimalism (a type of classical music). Other type of classical music is usually too distracting to me. Trance w/o vocalists is highly motivating as well.

Grades have increased since I started listening to trance and progressive while studying... could not have gotten through pharmacy school without it... Get free podcasts on iTunes, search for trance around the world with Above and Beyond for a free 2hr mix weekly... there are countless others but that is a good starting point..

example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQSUeoyrOeU

Lol, interesting! :)

Any other former bands nerds listen to some of those DCI shows?