February 2018 NAPLEX Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennisplayer90

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I turned to SDN numerous times while preparing for my NAPLEX and I haven't seen too many posts about a 2018 experience so I thought I'd share mine.

First I'd like to say that anybody who tells you that this is a minimum competency exam either took it long before they actually made it hard or were perfect students in pharmacy school, which I was not. This by no means is an easy exam BUT it is very doable. Since I work in pharma, I studied while also working 9-530 so I will just tell you my approach.

I gave myself ~3 months to prepare for this exam (started Thanksgiving and finished first week of February). I went to a typical 6 year program school so I had the foundation but now it was about applying it on this exam.

DON'T waste your time trying to figure out what key topics are on the exam by. They must have tens of thousands of questions and they vary from all disease states. Truth of the matter is, they will question you on everything.

The obvious key chapters to hit would be: Calculations and Biostats (know these like the back of your hand). I froze during the exam and thought I had forgotten a few formulas. You don't want that to happen to you because it screws with your confidence.

Other key chapters: HIV, ID, Onco, DM, Non sterile/Sterile/Drug References - These chapters will maybe have a few more questions than other chapters like psych, cardio, asthma, copd etc. Basically I'm writing this to say know everything. The exam somehow will know your weakness and then ask you 8 questions on a patient case related to that disease state your barely learned. Another key to success in my opinion is to know side effects/key pearls of big drugs. There are a decent amount of select all that apply as well as case based questions that you can only truly solve by knowing side effects/pearls.

My prep method: I would read 2-3 chapters from RxPrep a day and then do the RxPrep questions from the previous days chapters. That way you can keep thing straight in your head. The test will go from osteoporosis questions to psych to HIV to DM without any rhyme or rhythm so it's important to train your brain that way. At the end of the day, it comes down to repetition.

The week before my exam I had taken the whole week off and hit key sections plus calculations daily. You want to be able to do calculations quick enough so that you can also check them during the exam. This is why I would recommend doing the Pre-Naplex AND using the calculator on their website, not your own calculator. If nothing else, it gives you a good idea of the flow of the real NAPLEX. My score on the Pre-Naplex was 79 two weeks before my exam and I scored a bit higher on the NAPLEX. I'm happy to try and answer any questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone,

I turned to SDN numerous times while preparing for my NAPLEX and I haven't seen too many posts about a 2018 experience so I thought I'd share mine.

First I'd like to say that anybody who tells you that this is a minimum competency exam either took it long before they actually made it hard or were perfect students in pharmacy school, which I was not. This by no means is an easy exam BUT it is very doable. Since I work in pharma, I studied while also working 9-530 so I will just tell you my approach.

I gave myself ~3 months to prepare for this exam (started Thanksgiving and finished first week of February). I went to a typical 6 year program school so I had the foundation but now it was about applying it on this exam.

DON'T waste your time trying to figure out what key topics are on the exam by. They must have tens of thousands of questions and they vary from all disease states. Truth of the matter is, they will question you on everything.

The obvious key chapters to hit would be: Calculations and Biostats (know these like the back of your hand). I froze during the exam and thought I had forgotten a few formulas. You don't want that to happen to you because it screws with your confidence.

Other key chapters: HIV, ID, Onco, DM, Non sterile/Sterile/Drug References - These chapters will maybe have a few more questions than other chapters like psych, cardio, asthma, copd etc. Basically I'm writing this to say know everything. The exam somehow will know your weakness and then ask you 8 questions on a patient case related to that disease state your barely learned. Another key to success in my opinion is to know side effects/key pearls of big drugs. There are a decent amount of select all that apply as well as case based questions that you can only truly solve by knowing side effects/pearls.

My prep method: I would read 2-3 chapters from RxPrep a day and then do the RxPrep questions from the previous days chapters. That way you can keep thing straight in your head. The test will go from osteoporosis questions to psych to HIV to DM without any rhyme or rhythm so it's important to train your brain that way. At the end of the day, it comes down to repetition.

The week before my exam I had taken the whole week off and hit key sections plus calculations daily. You want to be able to do calculations quick enough so that you can also check them during the exam. This is why I would recommend doing the Pre-Naplex AND using the calculator on their website, not your own calculator. If nothing else, it gives you a good idea of the flow of the real NAPLEX. My score on the Pre-Naplex was 79 two weeks before my exam and I scored a bit higher on the NAPLEX. I'm happy to try and answer any questions.

How helpful would you say the 120 practice math questions were? I will have more questions for you in the future. Do you mind sending me your email address? Thanks.

How helpful would you say the 120 practice math questions were? I will have more questions for you in the future. Do you mind sending me your email address? Thanks.

I would say to focus on RxPrep all 5 Q banks and to make sure you have at least 90% in those. I only did the first half of the 120 questions.

Hi everyone,

How did you memorize and remember all the chapters? I did HIV ID ONCO all heart and psych and anticoag ..essentially 34 of the big chaptwrs and j dont remember anything so now im reviewing them and feel helpless because its taken me long time just to go through the chapters and now I cant even remember them? Did you take notes for each chapter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I havent dont many of the begining chapters besides half of math and my exam is in 38 days so im panicking. I can’f fail i only have 1 shot to pass, on a work visa. I try to go as detailsd as possible on most chapters but im not sure how i can learn the entire book well

Hi everyone,

Was Rxprep the only study source you used?

Hi everyone,

Hi. I take my Naplex next month and was wondering if you can give me some pointers. This is my second time taking it (I first took it right after graduation last June because my work wanted me to be licensed already; however i was not well prepared for it). So i want to pass this time, but i noticed some guidelines have changed since the last time I took it. I didnt get the RxPrep 2018 edition and just used the 2017 RxPrep since thats what i used last time to prepare. I did purchase the review questions from RxPrep and have been taking the quizzes after each chapter. What else should i focus on? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

How did you memorize and remember all the chapters? I did HIV ID ONCO all heart and psych and anticoag ..essentially 34 of the big chaptwrs and j dont remember anything so now im reviewing them and feel helpless because its taken me long time just to go through the chapters and now I cant even remember them? Did you take notes for each chapter?

Have you been using RxPrep q bank? That is the best way to see how much you are remembering. I would be shooting for at least 65% in all chapters. Repitition is key. Focus on clinical pearls/key side effects of all important drugs.

Was Rxprep the only study source you used?

RxPrep book and questions were my main resource.

If you look around on SDN there is somebody who posted all of their notes. I think if you google TMIRnotes SDN you should be able to find it.

I also recommend taking the PreNaplex - it gives you a good feel for how the real naplex will look in terms of aesthetics and how to use their online calculations if nothing else.

Hi. I take my Naplex next month and was wondering if you can give me some pointers. This is my second time taking it (I first took it right after graduation last June because my work wanted me to be licensed already; however i was not well prepared for it). So i want to pass this time, but i noticed some guidelines have changed since the last time I took it. I didnt get the RxPrep 2018 edition and just used the 2017 RxPrep since thats what i used last time to prepare. I did purchase the review questions from RxPrep and have been taking the quizzes after each chapter. What else should i focus on? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I also only used the 2017 version and it was adequate.

Honestly the test will switch from topic to topic with no rhyme or reason. You should focus on key sections that I mentioned above and have calculations/biostat down (meaning 100% on rxprep). In my opinion, the best way is to understand side effects/clinical pearls with each key drug/class. There are so many clinical case based questions and the only way to select the correct drug is to understand the difference between each "class" if that makes sense.

Hi everyone,

Hi, are the math Calculations and Biostats multiple choice or fill in blank? Any other type of questions that are fill in blank? What math formula do we need to memorize? CrCL, BSA? Do we need to remember how to calculate dosing for oncology drug using AUC ? Any memorized dosing question? Any chemistry structure questions?

Thanks so much!

Hi, are the math Calculations and Biostats multiple choice or fill in blank? Any other type of questions that are fill in blank? What math formula do we need to memorize? CrCL, BSA? Do we need to remember how to calculate dosing for oncology drug using AUC ? Any memorized dosing question? Any chemistry structure questions?

Thanks so much!

Calc and biostat are both MC and fill in blank! I would memorize all formulas in the RxPrep Calc II Chapter except for TEE and BEE (so yes you definitely need to know CrCl and BSA) but no to calculating dosing for oncology drug using AUC. There were a few memorize dosing questions - know the big topics such as anticoag (basically you should stick to bold and underlined from RXprep). And no to chemistry structure questions I think I had maybe 1-2 so not worth focusing on

Hi everyone,

Where can I get the RxPrep Q bank? Do you have an ebook for it, if so can you email it to me? kanncacho at gmail thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Calc and biostat are both MC and fill in blank! I would memorize all formulas in the RxPrep Calc II Chapter except for TEE and BEE (so yes you definitely need to know CrCl and BSA) but no to calculating dosing for oncology drug using AUC. There were a few memorize dosing questions - know the big topics such as anticoag (basically you should stick to bold and underlined from RXprep). And no to chemistry structure questions I think I had maybe 1-2 so not worth focusing on
Thanks for your information.

I did well in pharmacy school, mostly B's a few A's and a couple C's. For our practice naplex that was required for graduation I was one of three people that passed on the first attempt. I completed a clinical fellowship since I graduated and am currently working as a clinical pharmacist under my intern permit (I do everything but verify orders). I have taken MPJE for two different states and passed with > than an 80 on both.

Here is my dilemma; I took Naplex last October and failed by 1 point. I studied my RX Prep book again all through winter and retook the exam on March 17th. My score is still not posted however the board of pharmacy told me I did not pass again.

I agree the exam jumps from one topic to another without any consistency or reason. you'll have an HIV q and then biostats and then some kind of compounding calculation and then a case with 6-9 questions on the most obscure disease state in school. My first exam the case was pancreatitis and the second was cystic fibrosis.

I personally do not know what to do different to pass this thing. I know that I know my stuff. I advise MDs and DOs daily on medication therapy for our inpatients including ICU and also the ER. I counsel 1-8 pts a day, and talk to nurses about what they should do to administer a med all day long. I have done the 120 questions so much that I have the answers memorized now and can do biostats like no one else however for some reason I can not pass the naplex.

Can anyone give me some advice? anything you think would help me pass this thing so I can move on?

I did well in pharmacy school, mostly B's a few A's and a couple C's. For our practice naplex that was required for graduation I was one of three people that passed on the first attempt. I completed a clinical fellowship since I graduated and am currently working as a clinical pharmacist under my intern permit (I do everything but verify orders). I have taken MPJE for two different states and passed with > than an 80 on both.

Here is my dilemma; I took Naplex last October and failed by 1 point. I studied my RX Prep book again all through winter and retook the exam on March 17th. My score is still not posted however the board of pharmacy told me I did not pass again.

I agree the exam jumps from one topic to another without any consistency or reason. you'll have an HIV q and then biostats and then some kind of compounding calculation and then a case with 6-9 questions on the most obscure disease state in school. My first exam the case was pancreatitis and the second was cystic fibrosis.

I personally do not know what to do different to pass this thing. I know that I know my stuff. I advise MDs and DOs daily on medication therapy for our inpatients including ICU and also the ER. I counsel 1-8 pts a day, and talk to nurses about what they should do to administer a med all day long. I have done the 120 questions so much that I have the answers memorized now and can do biostats like no one else however for some reason I can not pass the naplex.

Can anyone give me some advice? anything you think would help me pass this thing so I can move on?
That is so weird your scores have not been posted since you took the exam March 17th! Does your state offer online score reporting? I believe you when you say you know your stuff if you are practicing as a clinical pharmacist under your intern license. Something just ain't right. What state are you in?

Hi,

Does NABP prenaplex test can be reviewed after taking it?
I mean is ther any thing on the score report saying which question I missed? Or does it only list scores?
Thanks and congrats!!!

That is so weird your scores have not been posted since you took the exam March 17th! Does your state offer online score reporting? I believe you when you say you know your stuff if you are practicing as a clinical pharmacist under your intern license. Something just ain't right. What state are you in?

My state doesn't report scores so I was relying on the transfer icon to pop up. With this nonsense of NABP creating a new website it also posed a HUGE delay. I have a contact at NABP and this individual has been unable to tell me anything other than dot worry I am sure you passed. She said that just sac can not see scores but she knows I am fine. The next day I spoke to a customer svc person and he said my score is not loaded at all. He also said that the new website has a ton of technical errors and is a huge cluster.

Then I called the Board in my state and they said they got my score on 3/21/18 however NABP was closed as of 3/20 and my friend at NABP talked to her supervisor who said that this was not possible for them to have my score yet. The state board told me I failed and emailed me the score report (which by their own rules they are not allowed to do). It says my score is the same as the first time I took it but shows the retake test date.

This morning I logged in as the NABP website is finally functioning. What I see is my MPJE exam for state one with no score (but I know I passed). Then my MPJE exam for state two (this state allows reporting) and it shows passed with the passed score. Then I see my naplex registrations with no scores. For attempt one there is nothing next to it however for attempt two it shows I have the option of purchasing a score review. Weird thing is that for MPJE it shows I can choose score review also. So how does this work? do they allow score review within say 30 days? that would make more sense than score review for passed exams. Not sure if I should pay the $100 or not and maybe Im getting stupid from the stress but I still don't know if I passed. My state board has a bunch of bumbling idiots working there and I want to be hopeful.

Hi,

Does NABP prenaplex test can be reviewed after taking it?
I mean is ther any thing on the score report saying which question I missed? Or does it only list scores?
Thanks and congrats!!!

the answer is no, it is not like rxprep, you answer and move on. it gives you a score and you can not go back and view the question and it does not tell you your weak areas

My state doesn't report scores so I was relying on the transfer icon to pop up. With this nonsense of NABP creating a new website it also posed a HUGE delay. I have a contact at NABP and this individual has been unable to tell me anything other than dot worry I am sure you passed. She said that just sac can not see scores but she knows I am fine. The next day I spoke to a customer svc person and he said my score is not loaded at all. He also said that the new website has a ton of technical errors and is a huge cluster.

Then I called the Board in my state and they said they got my score on 3/21/18 however NABP was closed as of 3/20 and my friend at NABP talked to her supervisor who said that this was not possible for them to have my score yet. The state board told me I failed and emailed me the score report (which by their own rules they are not allowed to do). It says my score is the same as the first time I took it but shows the retake test date.

This morning I logged in as the NABP website is finally functioning. What I see is my MPJE exam for state one with no score (but I know I passed). Then my MPJE exam for state two (this state allows reporting) and it shows passed with the passed score. Then I see my naplex registrations with no scores. For attempt one there is nothing next to it however for attempt two it shows I have the option of purchasing a score review. Weird thing is that for MPJE it shows I can choose score review also. So how does this work? do they allow score review within say 30 days? that would make more sense than score review for passed exams. Not sure if I should pay the $100 or not and maybe Im getting stupid from the stress but I still don't know if I passed. My state board has a bunch of bumbling idiots working there and I want to be hopeful.
where do you live? the same thing happened to me and I have been going crazy , not motivated to retake it?
Do you work better studying with someone?

Hi everyone,

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Hi everyone,

Hi there,
I have taken the old Naplex before but failed by 6 points. I m a foreign grad here.
I prepared from Rx Prep and Apha. For the new Naplex should I get anything else other than the Q bank.
Planning to retake in 3 months.
And I m not sure if there is anything different than the old one besides the number of questions.

Thanks for the help.

Hi everyone,

I take my NAPLEX in 6 days! I graduated just this past May. Because of the changes to the application process in my state I wanted to get it done soon! I started studying in December and got through all of RxPrep by graduation. I took the 150 question pre NAPLEX through RxPrep and scored 89%. I took the Pre NAPLEX through NABP twice. 1st time I got a 132 and second time was a 117. The tests were very different from one another. I did well in school, graduated top 5 in my class. The national pass rate last year was ~87% and my school was ~80% (and we graduated just under 200). I have anxiety about the exam and have one real question, how representative of the new NAPLEX is the pre NAPLEX and RxPrep?

I take my NAPLEX in 6 days! I graduated just this past May. Because of the changes to the application process in my state I wanted to get it done soon! I started studying in December and got through all of RxPrep by graduation. I took the 150 question pre NAPLEX through RxPrep and scored 89%. I took the Pre NAPLEX through NABP twice. 1st time I got a 132 and second time was a 117. The tests were very different from one another. I did well in school, graduated top 5 in my class. The national pass rate last year was ~87% and my school was ~80% (and we graduated just under 200). I have anxiety about the exam and have one real question, how representative of the new NAPLEX is the pre NAPLEX and RxPrep?
You just need 75 to pass so I think you are ok.
I heard there will be a lot of HIV and compounding questions so review more about those. Also do more calculation and biostat. More importantly is pray to Jesus and He will help you and get a good night sleep the night before your test. Please share after you pass your test. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you have your results?