Fee Assistance Program (FAP) 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kavity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I apply for the FAP, does that mean I have to wait to submit my application to dental schools? Or would I be able to submit my application while I await approval?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If I remember correctly, I think you have to wait until you are approved before you submit your application. If you submit before approval, then they would just disregard your FAP application.

I am gonna highjack this thread because the FAP program is apparently too busy to respond to my emails.

1. Why does the AADSAS application require us to make our payment via check/money order for payments involving the FAP waiver (for the first three schools)? Is it just a technical thing, or we will actually have to snail mail them checks/money order?

2. The instruction says that I will have to e-submit my application
before I am allowed to send my application beyond the first three schools.
If I do this, will my application be delayed because of processing time as
oppose to sending my application to all my schools without FAP?

3. FAP says they want the applicant's tax return and the parent's tax returns. But I am still a dependent and haven't reached the age where I would have submitted one before. I am guessing it is probably okay if I don't send in mine as long as I explain that I didn't file on?

Members don't see this ad :)
3. FAP says they want the applicant's tax return and the parent's tax returns. But I am still a dependent and haven't reached the age where I would have submitted one before. I am guessing it is probably okay if I don't send in mine as long as I explain that I didn't file on?

If you are a dependent, you should be listed on your parents' tax return as such. Considering many dental school applicants are most likely dependents, I'm sure FAP knows how to deal with this situation.

I am gonna highjack this thread because the FAP program is apparently too busy to respond to my emails.

1. Why does the AADSAS application require us to make our payment via check/money order for payments involving the FAP waiver (for the first three schools)? Is it just a technical thing, or we will actually have to snail mail them checks/money order?

2. The instruction says that I will have to e-submit my application
before I am allowed to send my application beyond the first three schools.
If I do this, will my application be delayed because of processing time as
oppose to sending my application to all my schools without FAP?

1. I don't know why. You just have to

2. It will be slightly delayed, but not by much. Mine was delayed, but it was still early enough

3. It will be ok as long as your parents listed you as a dependent on their tax returns

2. It will be slightly delayed, but not by much. Mine was delayed, but it was still early enough

3. It will be ok as long as your parents listed you as a dependent on their tax returns
Thanks, Visca el Barca. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, Visca el Barca. :)
it wasn't a great season and to top it all off, Real won Champs league...but whatever. Good luck on the application cycle this year

In regards to no. 1, can you elaborate? Will I need to send them actual checks for the FAP waiver or prepare money order beforehand? (I ran out of checks for now lol)

Thank you!

Last edited:
it wasn't a great season and to top it all off, Real won Champs league...but whatever. Good luck on the application cycle this year
There was too much drama going on this season, but we'll get 'em next time. Thanks for all your help!

In regards to no. 1, can you elaborate? Will I need to send them actual checks for the FAP waiver or prepare money order beforehand? (I ran out of checks for now lol)

Thank you!
I never actually sent in real checks. I payed with an electronic check.

So I applied online for FAP and they didn't send me any kind of confirmation. I am still going to send in the required documents since there is 10 business day time period. However, I noticed that this year, if you are eligible you have to submit your AADSAS application within a month. I have yet to take my DAT (mid-July) and so I was wondering if it would be fine if I submitted my application without my DAT scores.

@gn4 : Were you waived three schools or one school? The notification I got tells me to choose only one school. But on my application status for FAP, it tells me to choose three schools. Confusing : S

And to the poster above me: Yeah, they actually dont send you a notification once you e-submitted. It should be fine. I already got approved.

@gn4 : Were you waived three schools or one school? The notification I got tells me to choose only one school. But on my application status for FAP, it tells me to choose three schools. Confusing : S

And to the poster above me: Yeah, they actually dont send you a notification once you e-submitted. It should be fine. I already got approved.
I was only waved 1 school. So I used it for a reach school. haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I was only waved 1 school. So I used it for a reach school. haha
Weird... The website says:
"Applicants who qualify for Fee Assistance will receive a $431 fee waiver which will cover the first ADEA AADSAS dental school designation and two additional dental school designations for a total of three.
After receiving approval for fee assistance, applicants must select three dental school designations and eSubmit the ADEA AADSAS application."​
Does it vary from applicant to applicant?

"Applicants who qualify for Fee Assistance will receive a $431 fee waiver which will cover the first ADEA AADSAS dental school designation and two additional dental school designations for a total of three.
After receiving approval for fee assistance, applicants must select three dental school designations and eSubmit the ADEA AADSAS application."​
I guess it does because I was only able to get 1 free school

Please keep me updated Kavity : )
I am getting conflicting instructions on my application portal, so I would like to know what they tell you too. Thanks

No, they changed it this year! In the past AADSAS would only waive the first school. But finally they are seeing the light and realizing one school isn't nearly enough. The medical school system gives you 14 if you qualify for assistance. Im so glad for you all who get this benefit. Its so expensive to apply and applying to one or two is risky if you can't afford more. At least now you will have three and hopefully you can come up with the money for 2-5 more to give yourself a good shot!!

Best wishes to you!

do you think they will grant someone the FAP if they make 25,000 a year?

No, they changed it this year! In the past AADSAS would only waive the first school. But finally they are seeing the light and realizing one school isn't nearly enough. The medical school system gives you 14 if you qualify for assistance. Im so glad for you all who get this benefit. Its so expensive to apply and applying to one or two is risky if you can't afford more. At least now you will have three and hopefully you can come up with the money for 2-5 more to give yourself a good shot!!

Best wishes to you!
That's great news, thanks for the update!

You guys heard back from FAP fairly quickly! Did you guys send it using the express mail or something?

You guys heard back from FAP fairly quickly! Did you guys send it using the express mail or something?
I haven't heard back yet. Hoping to receive good news by Tuesday.

I sent it through regular snail mail and I am from the west coast

Hearing some discrepancies... does anyone know if qualification for FAP goes by the US poverty guidelines, or by the ADEA's poverty guidelines?Or should income be somewhere in between the two values detailed in the chart?

I live on the East Coast. I submitted mine last Wednesday and haven't heard back from them :unsure:

same :( have not heard anything. How long does the processing take?

same :( have not heard anything. How long does the processing take?
I would give it a few days until after they receive it. I sent mine via registered mail, but they haven't received it yet. :(
Freaking out a little, because I want to submit my app already.

Me neither :cyclops:. I sent my paperwork in last Tuesday, it's been 5 business days already. Can you guys see if FAP has received your paperworks?

Me neither :cyclops:. I sent my paperwork in last Tuesday, it's been 5 business days already. Can you guys see if FAP has received your paperworks?
I sent mine in via registered mail on Friday, so I just received confirmation that they received my paperwork this afternoon. However, I am still waiting to hear back.

I sent mine in via registered mail on Friday, so I just received confirmation that they received my paperwork this afternoon. However, I am still waiting to hear back.

That is a smart thing you did! I wish I had sent mine through registered mail too. I still haven't heard back from them and so I'm wondering if I should call them and ask if they received it. What do you guys think?

That is a smart thing you did! I wish I had sent mine through registered mail too. I still haven't heard back from them and so I'm wondering if I should call them and ask if they received it. What do you guys think?
I believe they only answer questions via email. Not quite sure.

I emailed them but they didn't respond. Btw if you esubmitted your application on 2nd, does that count as a business day too or is it from the next day onwards? I am going to re-mail my stuff again because I don't want to take the chance.

Also, has anyone tried to hand deliver it to the office itself. I live close to DC, so I could just give it in by hand but I don't know if they would accept it.

Last edited:
I think I'm confusing myself, but for the "Parental Information" Section, under "Gross Amount Earned for 2013", is that the income from the parent that I listed (Father/Mother Only) or is it the combined total income of my parents?

I think I'm confusing myself, but for the "Parental Information" Section, under "Gross Amount Earned for 2013", is that the income from the parent that I listed (Father/Mother Only) or is it the combined total income of my parents?
I think the next part asks for the other parent's information.

I emailed them but they didn't respond. Btw if you esubmitted your application on 2nd, does that count as a business day too or is it from the next day onwards? I am going to re-mail my stuff again because I don't want to take the chance.

Also, has anyone tried to hand deliver it to the office itself. I live close to DC, so I could just give it in by hand but I don't know if they would accept it.

I esubmitted the FAP on June 2nd, mailed out my stuff on June 3rd, and the tracking showed that it had been delivered. I still don't get any notification from FAP saying they have received my paperwork :arghh:

I esubmitted the FAP on June 2nd, mailed out my stuff on June 3rd, and the tracking showed that it had been delivered. I still don't get any notification from FAP saying they have received my paperwork :arghh:

I tried calling them and they refused to talk about FAP. When I pressed on about some information since I hadn't gotten a response for my email, the woman said that the person in charge is out and I should try emailing again. Also when I asked if I can hand deliver, she said that I would get in trouble if I did. :eyebrow:
Anyways, I just resent all my mail and it said that it was delivered so I'm hoping I hear back soon.

But didn't they say that you only got 1 chance to turn in ur paperwork? do we get in trouble for resending them?

I wasn't denied so I assumed I can re-send it. I sent mine a while back but never got a confirmation and so I assumed it didn't get to them . Also I know we only have 10 business days and so I didn't want to risk it.
Then again I could be wrong...

Last edited:
But didn't they say that you only got 1 chance to turn in ur paperwork? do we get in trouble for resending them?
It may be an isolated case, but I knew someone who didn't have a document and they emailed him about it. He had the chance to resend and got accepted (2013).

I haven't heard back yet either... A little nervous sending my application in so late. :(

My friend, who applied last cycle, said it took approximately 2 weeks for him to hear back about the FAP.

Anyone heard anything yet? E-sub my app and sent documents 6/3 and nothing yet.....

I esubmitted mine on 6/2, still nothing!! not even a notification saying they have received my paperwork.

I tried calling them and they refused to talk about FAP. When I pressed on about some information since I hadn't gotten a response for my email, the woman said that the person in charge is out and I should try emailing again. Also when I asked if I can hand deliver, she said that I would get in trouble if I did. :eyebrow:
Anyways, I just resent all my mail and it said that it was delivered so I'm hoping I hear back soon.

What number did you call?

I submitted 6/3, and they haven't even updated the site saying they received my forms, although I know that they have. This is insane, I want to send in my application already.

I submitted 6/3, and they haven't even updated the site saying they received my forms, although I know that they have. This is insane, I want to send in my application already.

Yup, same here. Hopefully things will get moving this week

Same boat, going crazy. Atleast my transcripts are finally posted