MD Feedback on School List (520 MCAT, 3.99 GPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scienceguy95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Keep all the Michigan schools and honestly, throw Oakland in there as well.

Take out Georgetown. You could also take out BU if you want.

Add any of Rochester, UChicago, Emory, Duke, Vanderbilt, and, if you're not opposed to California, USC-Keck and Stanford. The ones I would most highly recommend including in your list are Duke, USC-Keck, and Rochester.

Add Hofstra, Emory, Dartmouth, U Miami, consider OSU, SUNY Stony Brook and U VM

Add any of Rochester, UChicago, Emory, Duke, Vanderbilt, and, if you're not opposed to California, USC-Keck and Stanford. The ones I would most highly recommend including in your list are Duke, USC-Keck, and Rochester.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for your feedback WedgeDawg. Are you recommending to take off Georgetown and BU because of yield-protection? According to the MSAR I'm in the 90th percentile for Georgetown's MCAT (37) and below 90th percentile for Boston's (39). Rochester wasn't on my radar, I'll certainly add that one as well. I have a strong preference for the northeast and midwest, which is why I omitted Duke, Emory, and Stanford as well.

Also since you have another year I would get to get your volunteering up to at least 100 hours for clinical and non clinical 150 would be better.

Right now you're volunteering hours are pretty sparse at 40 clinical and 45 clinical

Thanks for your feedback WedgeDawg. Are you recommending to take off Georgetown and BU because of yield-protection? According to the MSAR I'm in the 90th percentile for Georgetown's MCAT (37) and below 90th percentile for Boston's (39). Rochester wasn't on my radar, I'll certainly add that one as well. I have a strong preference for the northeast and midwest, which is why I omitted Duke, Emory, and Stanford as well.

Georgetown because they're ultra high volume and your stats are too high for them to seriously consider you. BU has high volume, but you're in their stat range, so I would only take off BU if you think your list is getting too long. If not Duke, Emory, Stanford, USC, etc consider adding Hofstra. If you're considering Northwestern, add Pritzker to the list.

Also since you have another year I would get to get your volunteering up to at least 100 hours for clinical and non clinical 150 would be better.

Right now you're volunteering hours are pretty sparse at 40 clinical and 45 clinical

I should be able to get around 100 total hours of clinical volunteering before applying. In terms of non-clinical, getting 150 is going to be tough. My main focus is going to be getting some shadowing experience instead. I think the strengths of my app will be my research and teaching experiences, with volunteering being more standard.

Georgetown because they're ultra high volume and your stats are too high for them to seriously consider you. BU has high volume, but you're in their stat range, so I would only take off BU if you think your list is getting too long. If not Duke, Emory, Stanford, USC, etc consider adding Hofstra. If you're considering Northwestern, add Pritzker to the list.

I see. In that case I'll replace Georgetown with Rochester and just add Duke. Pritzker (Chicago?) is already on my list.

Reactions: 1 users