feedbacks from program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasminscent

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, is it a common practice for programs to give you a feedback on what they thought of you? I would think that most programs give some sort of hint if they like you, but does no feedback usually mean that you're not ranked very highly?

BTW, is anyone doing second looks?

Members don't see this ad.

I think this might be an interesting thread if people post particular programs from which they got feedback from after interviews.

It varies a great deal from program to program. From some programs, I got very positive feedback in the form of letters and emails after the interview. From others, I simply got some positive comments at the end of the interview day and that was it. I would not assume you are ranked low just because you haven't heard much back from the program. Some programs may wait until all their interviews are finished before starting to heavily recruit their top choices.

Second looks are a good idea, particularly if you have a spouse or family that hasn't visited the area before. There's also a possibility of meeting more residents which is helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
My feedback has consisted of:

1 program I got an email from the chief resident
4 I got emails from the PD or assistant PD
3 I got US mail letters from the PD
1 I got email from the department chair

At 10/12 programs, I received lots of information from the PD or someone similar during my interviews about what kind of candidate I was and what my chances of matching are. At the other 2 I got letters a week later in the mail. A lot of programs also told me they would be contacting me in January. Most of them also have not been shy about telling me they would like me to come there. Hard to know how much this means, or how many of the interviewees get these letters. Some of them did seem to be pretty personalized though.

Some programs, interestingly, seem to intimate that they are surprised I am applying there and considering them. Some of this might be geographically related.

two programs told me to call back in january and promised to tell me my relative standing and historical chances of match.
got e-mail from another one inviting for second look and wishing Happy Holidays.
yet another one offered an out-of-match position.

I am not sure what my program does now. But, the year I applied I didn't get anything from them. Yet I am sure I was ranked high. So I wouldn't say that if you don't hear anything they don't want you. Some places just aren't as good at following up.

As far as second looks go. The folks around here usually think very highly of people that come do them. It shows the program you are really interested in them. And, gives them a chance to take a second look at you hehe.

Another thing about feedback - some programs do thrive on hearing from applicants. A couple of places I visited, they told me that if I was interested in their program, I would be advised to let them know that. One PD said he would be more likely to rank people higher if he knew they had a strong interest in his program, specifically. He wasn't asking for #1 ranking, but I think wanted a sense of level of committment, or whether I was just visiting for some other reason. I told him that I would not visit any program I wasn't seriously considering, but I would let him know where they stand. Another one said, "We only rank candidates who are seriously interested in our program, so let us know." So feedback goes both ways. I have heard from other places though that they rank applicants without trying to ascertain this. Of course, if probably doesn't hurt your chances to tell them that you really like their program. but don't lie if you are going to rank it #10 and say it is one of your top choices.

Second looks, more for your information I think. Programs are busy. Again, probably won't hurt your chances. But I don't think it hurts you if you don't do it, either.

I have gotten more feedback in the last couple of weeks, including a hand written note from one department chairman which was quite nice.

The most specific things I have heard are "you will be highly ranked," and "you are a very strong candidate, we would love for you to come to our program." I guess what those mean depend on semantics.

Other than knowing that a few programs are interested in you which strokes your ego and gives you reassurance that you will for sure go somewhere, the feedback they give you should not influence how you rank the programs. It clearly states on the NRMP that you should just flat out list the programs in order of your preference, and list all programs that you are willing to go to. If your sixth favorite program says they absolutely love you and are going to rank you #1, you should still list your other five first because, if you don't match into them, then you will for sure get #6 even if every other one of their applicants ranked that program #1. You will bump them all off the list because the program ranked you highest. That is how the formula works.

^does anyone disagree with this?

Yep, that is how it works. You should rank in order of your preference..not how you think they will rank you.

Originally posted by governaitor
^does anyone disagree with this?

I will add a possible disagreement - getting high quality feedback and pursuit from a program indicates that they are taking enough time and care to track down their best possible candidates. There are programs that do very little outside of a short follow-up letter following the interview (if anything).

Perhaps it is all just politics, but if they take that much effort to make sure their top candidates feel welcome, a similar amount of effort is likely to go in to improving the caliber of the training program. Getting personal letters or emails from the chairman, people you interview with, or even residents indicates to me that the training program is a high priority to them.

That being said, the point you made about ranking programs in the order you prefer them is definitely true. Putting a program #1 on your list just because you are sure you will match there doesn't make any sense, because, as you said, you would just as surely match there if you put them #6 (unless, of course, you got one of your 1-5 choices). You don't get bonus points in the game of life for getting one of your top 3 choices, it isn't the Iowa caucuses.