Feel so lost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reluctantoptimism

Shrews and Trucks
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I only have a 3.3c and approx. 3.03s right now and realized I graduate this Summer. I have 15 hours this semester and will take 11 this Summer (i.e. little room for improvement). I know I'm probably going to have to do an SMP or masters and I feel like a failure. I'm 25, and I know that's not old, but I feel like I should have done more by now. In addition, I don't know what grades I'm going to get this Spring so I really don't know if I even should apply this Summer. If I did well on the MCAT this year, should I just apply next year? I'm URM but I don't want that to be the reason I get in; I want to know if good enough.

I feel so lost and depressed as of late.

Members don't see this ad.

I only have a 3.3c and approx. 3.03s right now and realized I graduate this Summer. I have 15 hours this semester and will take 11 this Summer (i.e. little room for improvement). I know I'm probably going to have to do an SMP or masters and I feel like a failure. I'm 25, and I know that's not old, but I feel like I should have done more by now. In addition, I don't know what grades I'm going to get this Spring so I really don't know if I even should apply this Summer. If I did well on the MCAT this year, should I just apply next year? I'm URM but I don't want that to be the reason I get in; I want to know if good enough.

I feel so lost and depressed as of late.

Is there any way you could retake some science classes at the same school? If so, you can see if the new higher grade will replace your old lower grade, hence helping your GPA. I think you should try to bring up your science GPA to at least a 3.3, 3.4. If retaking is not possible, then a doing a program after is perfectly fine. Many people go this route. It is becoming more and more rare for people to graduate with their bachelor's and go straight into medical school. Take the time to improve. You can look at schools that have programs that help you get into their medical school. I believe Rutgers and Ohio State have such programs. I tried to rush applying and was rejected the first time around. Take the time to volunteer, shadow and either retake courses or do a post bacc. The average age people start now is 25, so starting a year or two after that isn't a big deal. I wish you the best of luck. Keep your head up.

What EC's have you done? Don't be afraid to take the time you need to apply because if you end up having to reapply that could work against you and hurt your chances even more.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What if I finished my bachelors and got a neuroscience PhD (approx. 5 years)? I have research experience and my name is currently on a manuscript and I think a PhD would allow me to show I can handle academics and allow me to live comfortably. I could go to medical school after the PhD, graduate and begin a neurosurgery residency

I seem to excel at research and I enjoy the idea/topics of neuroscience so I feel a PhD may be suitable for me and if I don't get in, I have something.

It seems like you are more into research. I think you need to decide what it is you want to do. Getting a PhD and then going to medical school would be a really long route. That's 16+ to finish all the schooling and a neurosurgeon residency. Don't rush into applying. Take the time to improve your application and figure out what it is that you want to do.

You probably didn't see my other thread but everyone is telling me to give up OR that I would need several years of repair to even have a chance. I know EVMS has a two year program but everyone is saying this is not enough; I don't know what I'm going to do.

It seems like you are more into research. I think you need to decide what it is you want to do. Getting a PhD and then going to medical school would be a really long route. That's 16+ to finish all the schooling and a neurosurgeon residency. Don't rush into applying. Take the time to improve your application and figure out what it is that you want to do.

Look at my stats and how many interviews I got. It's definitely possible

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You probably didn't see my other thread but everyone is telling me to give up OR that I would need several years of repair to even have a chance. I know EVMS has a two year program but everyone is saying this is not enough; I don't know what I'm going to do.

I saw your other thread. The problem isn't your GPA its the 30 Ws that you said you had on your transcript.

Was gonna post and say I had your exact GPAs when I applied to med school but if the above poster is right all of those withdraws are definitely a problem

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

In reference to my old thread, I found a way to finish out this semester and not withdraw. I wish to give sincere thanks to everyone who tried to help.

I forgot which thread I read this from, OP. I know that you are really anxious of not finding a job/putting food on the table. While I can't say what are the prospects wroth your bachelors, I can definitely say that you can find the job. I know that if you are a goods typer you can become scribe without further education or you can pay for an extra semester at a Community college to become am emt-b and possibly become a paramedic. Gl

I forgot which thread I read this from, OP. I know that you are really anxious of not finding a job/putting food on the table. While I can't say what are the prospects wroth your bachelors, I can definitely say that you can find the job. I know that if you are a goods typer you can become scribe without further education or you can pay for an extra semester at a Community college to become am emt-b and possibly become a paramedic. Gl
Not what I intend to do but thank you