Feeling Hopeless

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CG37387n

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this semester has been rough in more ways than one, and I honestly just need confidence or someone telling me everything is going to be alright. My grandma passed away towards the end of the semester who has been a huge role-model for me. I was also sick in the hospital for a week and a half.

So this is finals week, and I have been studying really hard for it.. I know I didn't do too well this semester for Accounting.

Now for Stats the teacher's policy is you have to get above a 50 or whatever on the final. He kept repeating it during the test and it kept messing me up. I got a 33 on the Final because I went blank for the test.

I calculated my grade and I got an 83 for the whole class but since that stupid rule I FAIL. My average has been a 95+ the whole year.

So Accounting :F
Statistics: F
Economics: A

I'm transferring back to my CC to do classes and everything, and maybe try to get in the ADN program.. I feel like I will never be competitive to get into Nursing school. That I'm not good for anything, and more than half of me wants to just drop out of school because I have no idea what else to do. This WILL BE so detrimental to my GPA. Like I cannot stop crying, and I've been hyperventilating. I have never failed a class or anything. Can anyone give me advice or a plan of action.

Get into nursing as a backup plan I mean. I feel like there's nothing I can do anymore.

Members don't see this ad.

Good thing about grade replacement is that if you retake those classes and get good grades in them, the previous grades will not count against you for DO.

Can you retake them sometime in the future or equivalent classes at the CC?

Sorry for your loss and hardship.

Good thing about grade replacement is that if you retake those classes and get good grades in them, the previous grades will not count against you for DO.

Can you retake them sometime in the future or equivalent classes at the CC?

Sorry for your loss and hardship.
There are equivalents. But my GPA is going to blow this semester , probably un-repairable. I'm only a Sophomore btw.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are equivalents. But my GPA is going to blow this semester , probably un-repairable. I'm only a Sophomore btw.
Sorry for your loss! What is your GPA before these Fs? You should not do nursing if this is not what you want... Just retake these classes for DO... DO grade replacement is your friend!

Take it from someone who got a D+ in Bio 2 and had to retake it to get the grade I wanted, your GPA is never going to be un-repairable. Chin up, don't lose focus and retake stats.

Reactions: 1 user
My advice is to not dwell to much on the past as it cannot be changed and will only hinder you.

Plan of action is to make sure its really what you want. There are other things in the health field and even beside the health field. If you want it enough you're going to have to work hard for it beginning by taking those classes over. Make sure to get a healthy balance of extracurriculars and kill the MCAT.

Good luck.

Being a nurse and being a doctor are two completely different occupations, it is illogical to compare the two or indicate one as a fallback for another. It's like saying I didn't make it as a realtor so I'm going into construction. I think you need to reevaluate your life goals. If it is to become a physician then you will make it happen eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I have shadowed bother Nurses and Doctors.

I love the life of being a Nurse, but I also love the Doctor. I'd be happy with both, and I could settle for both. Nursing is easier to get into, and I would be willing to settle on this. It takes forever to finally be a Doctor but the end result is great.

I don't think you understand how GPA replacement works. If you got a F in a class then get an A in the same class, for DO schools, they will only count the A for your GPA. The two Fs will be easily replaced as long as you do well the next time you take the same (or equivalent classes). Just do well from here on out.

I don't think you understand how GPA replacement works. If you got a F in a class then get an A in the same class, for DO schools, they will only count the A for your GPA. The two Fs will be easily replaced as long as you do well the next time you take the same (or equivalent classes). Just do well from here on out.
No I understand grade replacement.. It still doesn't feel right

grade replacement helps you here. Make a plan, but first figure out why you tanked the exams. You have to fix that behaviour before you can be successful moving forward. Lots of people have family die, are in hospitals etc. I knew someone who took their finals while in the hospital one day after major surgery (granted they were exceptional). Point is, you will face hardship throughout your life and times you don't feel "your best". These are undergrad courses - you need to figure out how to better deal with stress in your life whether asking for a delay in taking exams (heck they offer a week or so for athletes, why not for death in the family?), dealing personally with stress response, or whatever. But figure this out now before you get into med school. It only gets harder there and the scheduling consideration is far far less than in undergrad.

grade replacement helps you here. Make a plan, but first figure out why you tanked the exams. You have to fix that behaviour before you can be successful moving forward. Lots of people have family die, are in hospitals etc. I knew someone who took their finals while in the hospital one day after major surgery (granted they were exceptional). Point is, you will face hardship throughout your life and times you don't feel "your best". These are undergrad courses - you need to figure out how to better deal with stress in your life whether asking for a delay in taking exams (heck they offer a week or so for athletes, why not for death in the family?), dealing personally with stress response, or whatever. But figure this out now before you get into med school. It only gets harder there and the scheduling consideration is far far less than in undergrad.
I knew before going into the test that I wasn't confident at all.. I just didn't think I was gonna get lower than a 50.

To me, it sounds like you're stuck between whether you want to become a nurse or a doctor. As you are only a sophomore, my first piece of advice is to not overly worry. You can still become either if you choose to do so. You can even choose to do both, one then the other. You could even become a nurse then a nurse practitioner, PA, etc. The possibilities are endless. Nothing needs to be done by the time you finish school, simply focus on doing well and having great experiences that will contribute to the kind of person you strive to be. And, don't read 'kind of person' as 'nurse' or 'doctor' rather read it as 'human being'.

Hopefully, by offering my own experiences, I can make you feel more at ease.

I have always wanted to be a doctor, but growing up, I also found myself watching the ambulances roll up and down the street. To satisfy my curiosity as well as fulfill a requirement for a human anatomy class in high school, I gained certification as an EMT. When I began college, I was eager to continue learning about science, but I had a rough time. My first semester, I even missed my biology final which caused me to earn a C in the end. The following semester was no better as I was walking on campus as one of the worst school shootings in this country unfolded in the building in front of me. At day's end, I was left with the loss of a very close friend. It all went downhill from there as I remained at the school for another year and a half, two and a half total. Eventually leaving with a 2.73 cGPA, a lower sGPA, and my tail between my legs, I reevaluated my path. The environment I had been in for years was not conducive to my learning. However, I couldn't change the numbers unless I worked at it, and I knew this. I didn't give up hope on my dream, but I did take a hard look at my path towards getting there.

The following semester, I decided to continue my EMS education, enrolling in paramedic courses and gaining a further certification and my first degree. (Years later, I would even become a paramedic instructor.) All along the way, I was able to work in the local ER, learning what the various other provider roles were, etc. It also gave me a chance to interact with patients in a clinical role while helping me chip away at my shyness. These experiences bolstered my numbers and the points on my resume, yes, but I gained so much more than what any of those numbers or points could ever mean.

After finishing my paramedic certification, I continued to pursue my science degree at another institution. By the time I graduated, I had a 3.5 cGPA and a 3.4 sGPA calculated by AACOMAS. Again, these numbers are useless to me personally. It's what I gained through my education and more importantly, in my opinion, my experiences that mattered.

My point is, there is no one path. You are not doomed because of one or two bad grades. Personally, I think I retook three or four classes. This year, I had the pleasure of attending the first interviews at two schools and was subsequently accepted to both. I've had other offerings for interviews since then, but I've since made up my mind.

If you work hard, you can be any kind of healthcare professional you wish to be. Set goals, find your motivation, and work towards achieving what you desire. Continue to learn, continue to move forward.

I wish you luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So this semester has been rough in more ways than one, and I honestly just need confidence or someone telling me everything is going to be alright. My grandma passed away towards the end of the semester who has been a huge role-model for me. I was also sick in the hospital for a week and a half.

So this is finals week, and I have been studying really hard for it.. I know I didn't do too well this semester for Accounting.

Now for Stats the teacher's policy is you have to get above a 50 or whatever on the final. He kept repeating it during the test and it kept messing me up. I got a 33 on the Final because I went blank for the test.

I calculated my grade and I got an 83 for the whole class but since that stupid rule I FAIL. My average has been a 95+ the whole year.

So Accounting :F
Statistics: F
Economics: A

I'm transferring back to my CC to do classes and everything, and maybe try to get in the ADN program.. I feel like I will never be competitive to get into Nursing school. That I'm not good for anything, and more than half of me wants to just drop out of school because I have no idea what else to do. This WILL BE so detrimental to my GPA. Like I cannot stop crying, and I've been hyperventilating. I have never failed a class or anything. Can anyone give me advice or a plan of action.

Get into nursing as a backup plan I mean. I feel like there's nothing I can do anymore.

That's rough man I really hope everything turns out fine for you. My friend ended up in a very similar situation she was passing (not by much but didn't get the required minimum on the final to pass the class). I am sorry for your loss. I really do hope everything turns out fine, stay strong and do what you feel is best for you.