feeling o-l-d

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shale

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone....
i'm new here, but have been surfing around just a bit. i was hoping someone could give me a bit of support here.

i am in the process of finishing up my bachelors degree in biology. i managed to pull off the associates degree before i ran out of funds and had to go to work to help support myself and my family. well, i still work full time at a large corporation in manhattan, commute about 4 hours each day and have about another year and a half to two years before i finish my degree. my issue? well, by then i will be <<gasp!!!>> just about 30 years old!!!! OMG!!!! so, i am feeling a bit outdated and past due, hearing you guys chat about being in your 20s when you graduate... and being so far behind! :( i feel so far behind right now, i'm afraid i'll be in a nursing home when i finally accept my dental degree!!! :eek:
well... sorry for whining so much on my first post - how embarrassing!!!

oh and.... does anyone on this board go to SUNY stonybrook? if so, what do you think of it? when the time comes, that would be my first choice of location (i'm married, so i'm a bit constricted as to where i go to school - we own a house, and my husband is a police officer with another 15 years before retirement!)

anyone have any words of wisdom? advice? just a friendly little "keep on plugging, shale... you're really not too old"???? even if its a lie???????
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

thanks everyone!

shale

Members don't see this ad.

You will be in your mid 30's when you graduate assuming you do gp. Still should have plenty of time to practice dentistry so dont over worry.

I'm an older dental student who started at the age of 27 and will be in the 30s also when I earn my DMD. In my class of 99 classmates, over at least 10 of them are second career classmates. In general, average enrolling students' ages across the the country are ~25 or older.

If you have the passion for this profession, then do not let finances, low GPA, and/or AGE stop you from applying!

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
31 and starting at UOP next year. I will be 34 when I finish and can practice into my 60's-70's if I am healthy and feel the need. That is an entire lifetime left to practice dentistry. What I am trying to say is, go for it.

Good luck,
CA
UOP 2006

shale,
4 hours of commute each day?!! It may seem like time is your enemy but if you're heart is in it, time is really on your side:clap:.

You're actually far more advanced than many of us on this board. Sounds like you already started you're family & have tons of real world experiences. You started out where many of us are just beginning & vice-versa.

Besides, with average american life expectancy increasing every year, a 35 year-old dent school graduate will still get a good 40 years of drilling & filling. I wish you the best.

Actually I also felt very much the way you did. I'm 31 right now, and taking my science pre-reqs. By the time I go to dental school, I'll be 32, perhaps 33... like you I felt a bit discouraged at first, but after doing much research I feel confident that I will have lots of time to practice before I get too "old". Also, I already have a family and children, so I feel a little "ahead of the game". Keep pursuing your dreams and don't give up. I have heard of dental students who are in their 40's, and they're pursuing their dream. I would check out age demographics in the dental school you are interested and you may be surprised to find many older students enrolled. Good luck!!

I am 31 and starting UOP next year. I also have 3 kids so don't feel to old. It is nver to late as long as your spouse supports what you are doing!

oh my gosh! thank you all for responding... i felt so alone, but yeesh... i guess i'm not!
well, you guys have all given me the push that i needed to continue on this arduous journey....

speaking of arduous journies... i'm already late for my train! so i better get a move on. just wanted to say thank you to all who wrote in. you guys are really encouraging!!!!

~shale~

:clap: :love: :clap: :love: