Feeling really down and overwhelmed with Orgo 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdubs1984

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...Things have been going pretty well so far, I've been getting all A's except a B in a writing class so far. I'm in Orgo 1 now and this by far the hardest stuff I've ever seen. Calc/Physics/Chem 1/2, Engineering stuff, etc has all been very easy by comparison...But this class...It terrifies me! I'm feeling overwhelmed and considering withdrawing because I feel like I won't even be able to pass it. I can't seem to picture any of this stuff in my mind, especially trying to figure out all the isomers for something and draw a newman picture of it. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Anyways, I just needed to vent...and I guess hope for some suggestions on how to grok this class.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Organic Chemistry as a Second Language was a huge help for me, as well as using plastic models. Spaced repetition is necessary; you can't just memorize it.

Reactions: 2 users
In my limited experience, I find that visual thinkers can do well in this class. It's the oddball just like geometry is to math. I am no good at math or abstract subjects because I am very visual. I remember in Ochem they recommended that we all get the plastic models. I made a molecule of EtOH to put on my desk, but never used it again. I remember sitting in exams and watching people use them wondering why they needed them. Now I get it...it's because I could visualize everything in my head very easily but not everyone can do that.

It sounds like that would be something to think about. If so, I agree with the advice about getting the plastic models. Also, a lot of what you'll have to do involves synthesis reactions (similar to geometry proofs). At the risk of sounding like a nerd, I loved both of those things...but again, it's probably because I was good at them.

Fast forward to pharm in med school...non visual. I pretty much crashed and burned lol. Anatomy...no prob.

Anyway, think ahead about how you can adapt your thinking/learning style to the subject and try to implement it. For pharm for me, it involved printing out all the information and using tons of different colored highlighters in an attempt to give me visual memory cues about the otherwise very nonvisual subject matter.

Figuring out your learning/memory style early is a big picture thing that can be very helpful down the line. I ended up in a very visually oriented field. Someone who is more of an abstract thinker may like something like internal medicine more. There are of course many other things that go into selecting a specialty, but I feel thinking mode of a person is one thing that can go into it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Meanwhile, we have people like me, who are very visual learners and still crashed and burned in Orgo anyways :')

I bought that book and I'm going through it now, thanks for the suggestion!

Dude, if it's any consolation, MOST people feel this way about Ochem. In fact, I'm surprised there isn't some kind of support group on here for people getting through it. But maybe it would take too much time away from studying ochem... lol.

I just finished a 10 week ochem I class and am about to start ochem II in the fall. I squeaked out an A (just barely, but did it!). Here's what I did:
--spent 15-20 hours per week studying (literally every spare moment)
--figured out what @Dral above said--I'm an audio-visual learner, so I needed someone to talk me through each concept and do problems on a whiteboard while I followed along. So I watched every video imaginable on YouTube about how to draw different projections, understand different mechanisms, whatever I needed to learn, etc. My professor's lectures were filled with interesting but ultimately unhelpful stories about working in a chemistry lab and not a lot of help for learning how to master the material. Which I am told is pretty much the way it is with ochem professors. You're expected to figure it all out on your own. Fun!
--worked through the Ochem as a Second Language book (but I found the problem sets a good start, but ultimately too easy for the difficulty level of the class I was in)
--tried to find as much practice material as possible online and in the book
--wrote notes actively while going through material
--used models a little, mainly to help understand symmetry/chirality and some of the conformations. I found Leah4Sci's videos on how to use the model kit moderately helpful, though I think her model kit is aesthetically ugly.

This was one of the most active learning experiences I've ever had. I can see why even if the material is only marginally relevant to the actual practice of medicine (and from asking the docs I know about how much ochem they use in their daily practice, their expression tells me all I need to know) because it is incredibly overwhelming and there is SO MUCH TO LEARN. At times I felt like I was learning the rules to an extremely arcane game that I would never actually get to play.

Also agree very much with spaced repetition. You can't download this stuff in an afternoon. You have to do 1-2 hours per day (or more, if you have the time). And for those who say there is no "memorization" in ochem (like my professor), piss off. The entire thing is remembering the most nit-picky details and being able to apply them.

It also helped me to identify a stepwise strategy for every single thing I might be confronted with on an exam and then put it into practice. OK--newman projection--how do I analyze that? Step 1, identify the front carbon and the attachments, Step 2, etc etc

Pushing Electrons by Weeks is also highly recommended for understanding mechanisms. There are also a lot of services online that you can purchase--MasteringOrganicChemistry, Leah4Sci, Orgo Made Easy, etc. Some might really be worth the money.

Anyway, feel free to DM me if you have more questions. I clearly have a lot to say! Lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Orgo is easy if you have a good teacher and know what you’re doing. Youll see the use once you start biochem. Be patient, use different resources, go online.

Reactions: 1 users
Orgo is easy if you have a good teacher and know what you’re doing. Youll see the use once you start biochem. Be patient, use different resources, go online.
Spending time with the physical model kit has really helped. The spectroscopy stuff isn't so bad, its more memorizing all functional groups and picturing the molecules in 3d in my brain lol.

Master organic chemistry is a useful website. Would also recommend reading a good textbook like Carey’s organic chemistry

Spending time with the physical model kit has really helped. The spectroscopy stuff isn't so bad, its more memorizing all functional groups and picturing the molecules in 3d in my brain lol.
Just thought of another resource that helps with 3D rotation: molview.org. It shows you the 2D and 3D structure of various molecules and you can rotate the 3D structure around with your mouse.

• Wow
Make flash cards for those functional groups!!! Srsly. Good old fashioned flash cards. I just can't with Anki etc. Quizlet is ok but writing it out will help you more. Ask around to see if the prof passes out practice exams or if anyone has any from years past; that will help you more than anything. As has been mentioned before, do as many practice problems as you can.

The two outside resources that helped me the most were:
1) Pushing Electrons--did this the summer before ochem (began ochem 1 the following fall)
2) Organic as a Second Language (concurrent w/course)
along with 3D models.

It's key to understand that chemistry is 3D. You'll never be able to draw Newman projections or visualize isomers if you can't grasp that concept. Try to picture structures in your head before guessing an answer. Try to guess the right answer before reading through the answer options (if your prof uses multiple choice tests). Treat multiple choice tests like short answer tests.

I would stray away from electronics usage in general and just draw as much as possible. I had a reactions folder and a mechanisms folder when I took ochem 1 (harder than ochem 2; it's a weeder course and that's how they work). I studied 5-10 hours on the weekends to review what we had learned that week and prepare for the next week. GO AHEAD in the book. Preview the lecture before watching it and review it once it's over (that's what people mean by spaced repetition). Repetition repetition repetition.

Last edited:
Hey guys...Things have been going pretty well so far, I've been getting all A's except a B in a writing class so far. I'm in Orgo 1 now and this by far the hardest stuff I've ever seen. Calc/Physics/Chem 1/2, Engineering stuff, etc has all been very easy by comparison...But this class...It terrifies me! I'm feeling overwhelmed and considering withdrawing because I feel like I won't even be able to pass it. I can't seem to picture any of this stuff in my mind, especially trying to figure out all the isomers for something and draw a newman picture of it. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Anyways, I just needed to vent...and I guess hope for some suggestions on how to grok this class.

Thanks.
I used a website called Master organic chemistry - they had some great guides when I was confused about the mechanisms of some of the reactions (Master Organic Chemistry - An Online Organic Chemistry Resource)

I also bought the ball and joint set and sadly I think that just collected dust...