Feeling really down on myself...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superior_vena_cana

Reaction score
We just had quartiles released for the 1st year of medical school and I am currently in the 3rd out of 4th quartile. I get mostly Bs on everything with some As and didn't think this was bad but clearly most of my class is getting As. I assumed I would have been in the 2nd quartile since I typically hit the average mark on everything but I guess not. I am not looking to do anything like ortho, derm or neurosurgery but definitely have always loved surgery and would be just fine becoming a general surgeon through one of the DO residencies (or former DO since the merger). My classmates who are in the top half are making it out to be like us in the bottom half are idiots and don't even deserve to be in medical school. I am very passionate about medicine and know I have what it takes to treat my patients successfully even if I am not a natural born genius. Maybe I am looking for a friend or some reassurance with this post but I'm feeling real down on myself right now

Members don't see this ad.

Don't put so much weight on class rank. If you're interested in surgery, score 240+ on your step I (if it is still scored by the time you take it) and find other ways to set yourself apart. Also - don't get down on yourself for being in the bottom half. Remember, you might be in the bottom half, but you are still among the brightest and best in the US. Not bad if you ask me.

Keep on pushin.

Reactions: 14 users
Yeah, it never feels good to feel behind your peers, but you have to remember that you are comparing yourself with a fantastic cohort. If you put Einstein, Newton, and Hawking in a group together, at least one of them would be below average. Just keep pressing on, and realize you will still be a great doctor.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Top 10 people in class: smarter, faster, stronger, better looking, and their bowel movements all smell like bakery fresh cinnamon rolls

Bottom 10 in the class; “Oh man. Did you know there’s a test on Monday? I’ve got a frisbee game this weekend! Guess I won’t do too hot this time around.

The other 150 ish people in your class: a largely homogenous group who will forever be stratified by first semester anatomy grades.

It’s fine. Class rank is dumb and really only says something about the bottom of the barrel and the tippity top.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 35 users
Thanks for your responses, I really do appreciate it. I can't tell if I'm more upset about being in the bottom half or that I've heard some of the comments that these top half students are making.

Reactions: 1 user
Ehh let them comment. Just drop the hammer on step 1 and play it cool

Reactions: 5 users
Start working on some board prep so you don't have time to worry about class rank

Reactions: 4 users
but definitely have always loved surgery and would be just fine becoming a general surgeon through one of the DO residencies (or former DO since the merger).

No one will care. Board scores, research, letters, and auditions will be what matter for GS.
My classmates who are in the top half are making it out to be like us in the bottom half are idiots and don't even deserve to be in medical school.

You have some really *****y classmates. Rank only really matters for top 10/bottom 10.

Reactions: 11 users
No one will care. Board scores, research, letters, and auditions will be what matter for GS.

You have some really *****y classmates. Rank only really matters for top 10/bottom 10.

Was literally gonna say the both same things. I'll just steal this comment and present it to the attending as my own.

Reactions: 7 users
Hi, I'm really sorry that you're feeling this way - people can be cruel and medical school is hard. I want to get up on my soapbox for just a bit because I have a lot of experience feeling like I'm not a natural born genius.

I feel like a lot of people in medical school face no resistance academically until they get to medical school itself, at which point they meet their match. And for a long time, I felt really inferior and frankly bad about myself because this just simply wasn't the case for me. As early as when I was in elementary school, I didn't "get" things the same way my friends often did. I got placed in the lowest math class in sixth grade while my friends got placed in the highest because of how I scored on some test, and had to fight the whole year to get transferred to the middle math class. I would stay up for hours working on my writing assignments that took other students a normal amount of time.

Then I got to high school - they said, "this isn't going to be like middle school, where you can just glance over everything the night before and get all As!" And I thought I was completely screwed, because that hadn't been my experience at all - I was right. I got terrible grades for two years before I finally figured out the right strategy. I never became a superstar, but started doing well enough.

Then came college. At my orientation, they said, "this isn't going to be like high school, where you can study the night before and get a perfect GPA." And I thought, "here we go again." Because apparently this was a common sentiment among my new peers - but certainly not me. I thought high school was really hard! I still vividly remember the first day of my intro cell biology course. I was basically holding my breath the entire hour hoping that he was going to the spend the whole time talking about the syllabus and expectations, and not actual science. I wasn't ready yet! Thankfully, I was spared until the next session. I was able to do pretty well in college, but at great cost. I worked like a dog and sacrificed a lot.

Then I got into medical school. Again, "I know a lot of you were able to just study the night before in college and get a 4.0, it won't be like that here!" "****." The first two years of medical school were certainly the greatest academic challenge I have ever been confronted with. And I struggled - a lot. I came very close to failing multiple tests, and felt like I was putting in 10x the effort of everyone else, who were able to actually live their lives and do fun things and still did much better than me. All I know about my class rank during preclinical years is that it was in the bottom 50%. I felt like I was constantly underwater for at the least the first six months or so, but like everything else I ultimately figured out how I was supposed to study and do well, and once I did that I found my stride. I ended up graduating in the top 20% of the class, was an AOA candidate (though didn't get it), got an award for academic achievement, and couples matched at a great program in a competitive specialty. I caught my stride towards the very end of M2 year and for the rest of medical school.

Other medical students can be very judgmental and non-understanding of anybody who ever had any kind of academic difficulty. This forum can unfortunately be a good example of that, I see comments on here that say things like "I just did Anki for a month and got a 250 on Step 1, no problem." In this very thread somebody says "just get a 240 on Step 1" as if that's a simple feat. You have to block that stuff out. I think that all anyone can do is try to maximize their own potential and do as well as they can with the cards they are dealt. You are doing great, keep up the good work.

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
I was 4th quartile after my first year. Worked my way up to 3rd quartile the next couple of years. My school advisor told me I wasn't a very good candidate for a middle-of-the-pack competitive field after 3rd year, and thus should just apply FM. I ended up not listing to the advisor, didn't apply FM, received 25+ interview invites in the field I wanted, and ultimately matched my #1 choice. Don't listen to your peers or your school advisors. If you really want to do a specific field, build your application around it and create some good connections along the way. You're doing well in school getting B's and will not be a risk for failing boards.

Reactions: 9 users
I was 4th quartile after my first year. Worked my way up to 3rd quartile the next couple of years. My school advisor told me I wasn't a very good candidate for a middle-of-the-pack competitive field after 3rd year, and thus should just apply FM. I ended up not listing to the advisor, didn't apply FM, received 25+ interview invites in the field I wanted, and ultimately matched my #1 choice. Don't listen to your peers or your school advisors. If you really want to do a specific field, build your application around it and create some good connections along the way. You're doing well in school getting B's and will not be a risk for failing boards.

These idiot advisors, man. A turtle could do a better job. Imagine getting paid to do your job poorly like these people do. It's incredible

Reactions: 4 users
We just had quartiles released for the 1st year of medical school and I am currently in the 3rd out of 4th quartile. I get mostly Bs on everything with some As and didn't think this was bad but clearly most of my class is getting As. I assumed I would have been in the 2nd quartile since I typically hit the average mark on everything but I guess not. I am not looking to do anything like ortho, derm or neurosurgery but definitely have always loved surgery and would be just fine becoming a general surgeon through one of the DO residencies (or former DO since the merger). My classmates who are in the top half are making it out to be like us in the bottom half are idiots and don't even deserve to be in medical school. I am very passionate about medicine and know I have what it takes to treat my patients successfully even if I am not a natural born genius. Maybe I am looking for a friend or some reassurance with this post but I'm feeling real down on myself right now
A) You have some gunner classmates; ignore them. Or being from NYC, I'd say "F' em"
B) At the end of four years, you know what you'll be called?
Doctor!
C) Your performance is on track for doing well on Boards.

Reactions: 7 users
Thank you to everyone who replied, I am feeling a bit better today. Again, maybe I just needed some reassurance but all this really helped!!!

Thanks for your responses, I really do appreciate it. I can't tell if I'm more upset about being in the bottom half or that I've heard some of the comments that these top half students are making.
I started at the bottom and ended up in the 2nd quartile. My degree only says DO tho, and makes no mention of my rank. It doesn’t matter, don’t let it get to you.

After first semester I found out I was basically on the line between 3rd and 4th quartile. By the end of school I was well in the 2nd. It doesn't matter. Top and bottom is usually all that matters. Maximize your chances in other areas (e.g. USMLE, letters, research, building connections, strategically applying, etc.), and they'll be more high yield anyway.

Curious as to which specialty you decided to go into!

Reactions: 1 user