Feeling WORSE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I went out and had a great time Saturday night (drinking and gambling etc.), thinking that maybe today I would not be thinking about how much I screwed up on Sat. or feel better somehow, but I STILL FEEL TERRIBLE... does anyone have any experience with this? Please help. I'm leaving for England for a little mini vacation in a few days and I do not want to feel like this the entire trip. I really thought that I would feel a huge "weight" lifted off me afterwards, instead I am just more worried. :(

Members don't see this ad.

take it easy...If you feel like crap the whole time you won't be able to plan ahead! Wait for your score...You might be surprised!

Well, think of it this way. Whatever you are feeling right now is an unproductive and useless emotion, so there is the logical and rational basis to discard it.

Next, you probably only feel bad because you are thinking you did badly.

Worst possible scenario is that you scored a 3 and you have to retake the test. That's all.

However, and much more likely, is that you scored well. Most people feel terrible after they took the test, even if later they find out their score might be in the 40s.

So...don't try to convince yourself you have sorrow, and thus need to drink it away. This will only amplify the effect.

Just essentially, forget about it, because either way you can't change the outcome, and either way the outcome is not so bad (or may even very good).

Okay, I went out and had a great time Saturday night (drinking and gambling etc.), thinking that maybe today I would not be thinking about how much I screwed up on Sat. or feel better somehow, but I STILL FEEL TERRIBLE... does anyone have any experience with this? Please help. I'm leaving for England for a little mini vacation in a few days and I do not want to feel like this the entire trip. I really thought that I would feel a huge "weight" lifted off me afterwards, instead I am just more worried. :(
Hon, everything is out of your hands now. You have to have some faith in yourself and know that you went in there yesterday and did the best you could. Even if the worst case scenario happens, it's still not the end of the world. You can retake the test. In the meantime, try to keep yourself busy. Do you have your PS written? Have you started asking profs for LORs? Did you get a copy of your transcript yet? You have a lot of things to do still. Also, hang out with friends and family who you didn't spend as much time with while you were studying. And the rule is, no talking about the MCAT. None. OK?

Members don't see this ad :)
All of the above posters provided very sound advice, but if it makes you feel any better - I am in your shoes as well. i feel awful about yesterday, I am seriously debating whether to try and contact AAMC and void my scores. We had a ridiculous disturbance during the exam - local radio station set up shop outside the exam center and broadcast live during the entire exam. Not sure yet what I will do if anything, but I feel your pain.

Hey buddy I'm right there with ya. Took the test yesterday and all of today I just keep replaying it back in my head. I can already think of some questions that I missed, which makes it worse.

At least we'll get our scores back in a month, and if we need to retake it... it won't be too too late in the application cycle.

ugh, and drinking doesn't help. I tried doing that last night, and only feel worse. everyone had started at different times when I took the test, so when I was on VR both the ppl next to me were typing their essays. *click click click* :eek:

I feel better when I talk to other test takers, though... and reading the posts on this forum does provide incredible support. yay sdn. go banana! go! :banana:

All of the above posters provided very sound advice, but if it makes you feel any better - I am in your shoes as well. i feel awful about yesterday, I am seriously debating whether to try and contact AAMC and void my scores. We had a ridiculous disturbance during the exam - local radio station set up shop outside the exam center and broadcast live during the entire exam. Not sure yet what I will do if anything, but I feel your pain.

I'm so sorry about your experience. Did the ppl at the center at least issue an "official letter" about the cirumstances? If not you should ask them to do so, and a copy will be included on your applications to explain a lower score (if it even is lower).

good luck:)

The AAMC has to do it... and they will after reading the letter sent by the test proctor. And that will be the "official" one that goes along with your released score/application.

Right before my test the proctor accidentally knocked over the camera (to take my picture) and it hit my head really hard. And she asked if I wanted her to write a letter to the AAMC (b/c it made a huge welt in my head) and I was so dazed/stressed that I said it wasn't necessary. *d'oh! :confused: what was i thinking, oh wait, i wasn't.

OMG, you have no idea how much your story makes me feel better. I am sorry for you, but at least I am not alone. Is it possible for you to contact the test proctor and request the letter after the fact? I can'timagine it would hurt to have an official letter with your score. If you did well in spite of the incident, it only makes you look better.

Yeah I debated over it all day yesterday and really wasn't if I wanted to turn around and drive back to the testing center... and now that I'm miles away I cannot remember what my proctor's name was or what she looked like. I think I'd be able to identify her if I saw her again though, but I can't picture what she looks like in my mind.

It sucks, my head still hurts when I touch it at that spot. I think I'll wait for my score to return. I know that I really dazed through the PS section, and then I took some painkillers during the break and was able to resume okay, at least I hope.

Anyway, it's really good that your proctor sent a note, I think the AAMC will follow up in cases like loud disruptions. And if you did well, it'll only make you look like you perform well under pressure/distractions. yay!

oooooooooh my gosh the clicking noises from people typing completely ruined my verbal too!!! shouldn't everyone start at the same times to avoid that??

I felt the same way after my test in Jan. It seems like I was going through the stages of grief, although in my own order. First was depression, then I bargained with myself (if it's 29 or higher I'll apply if not I'll re-test), then I was angry at myself for not studying enough, then sort of went into a semi-denial about the importance of the scores. Those last few days before scores came out got me fired up again, though. I was consumed with wanting to see those results. Silly, huh?

I felt I had done significantly worse than what I was scoring on the practice exams. I had timing issues, blanked on one of the essay prompts, etc. When the scores came back I had actually done signficanly better. Go figure. Try to relax if you can. It's out of your hands now. Everyone feels like they didn't do as well as they could/should have done.

I feel the same way about the test this past Saturday. I can't stop thinking about it, which I know doesn't help anything. I feel like I got a 15. I know that if it went that poorly, I can retake it but I REALLY don't want to have to (who does?). Thanks for those of you who offered your stories of being scared but ended up doing really well. I am keeping that in the back of my mind.

Is anyone getting a little annoyed by all of your friends/family asking how it went? "did you ace it?" "I'm sure you did great!" I know they are just being nice, but I can't help but get annoyed. I also feel like I'm going to disappoint all of these people who are so proud of me if I did do really bad.

For those of you who have already taken it before and gotten your scores back, how did you feel after? Were you confident, nervous, annoyed, etc? How did things end up working out?

Thanks so much!

For those of you who have already taken it before and gotten your scores back, how did you feel after? Were you confident, nervous, annoyed, etc? How did things end up working out?

Thanks so much!

The obvious answer is that everyone will feel differently. Some excited, some dissapointed, etc. I think feeling apprehensive is perfectly natural, but try to channel your energy into productive avenues such as classwork or your PS. The test is done and the scores will come soon enough. Fretting about it can only make the nervousness worse!

i agree with everything thats been said. trust me, when i took the mcat i literally thought that i failed it. each day after the test, i kept going through old questions in my head and assuming that i got another question wrong. by the time scores came out, i thought i had gotten somewhere in the low 20s and automatically assumed id have to retake it again. but i was shockingly surprised when i got a 35. everyone feels like they failed afterwards, and the test is curved, so more than likely if you think you did badly then so did everyone else.

just try to stay optimistic (even though it is hard) and keep yourself busy. good luck!!

It's really nice to know that I am not the only one going through this... feeling like crap... and feeling like I completely screwed it up... frustrated with myself... and thinking that this next month will be the longest month ever....

but let's all hang in there... we'll get through it together... and let's hope our scores are way better than we think. :)

You're not in CO Springs, are you? I heard that people across the street from the center were blasting music throughout the entire exam, and that they were complaining and might get a free retake with the May 16th group....

Take it easy... nothing you can change about it now, and if you need to retake, you'll still be early in the season.

Yes, I am in Colorado Springs. The proctot sent in an official report but not sure what will come of that. I have decoided to enroll for a late May retake and see how things go. Best case scenario, I did better than I think and I am out $105. Worst case scenario - I retake again in a mere 6 weeks...