Feelings about PCOM????

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by phishphan, Aug 5, 2001.

1. phishphan

phishphan Junior Member

Hi everyone...

I was discussing PCOM with a friend of mine and couldn't really answer their questions since I am not familiar with PCOM at all.

So I figured I would ask you all. What is the general consensus out there regarding PCOM i.e. quality of education versus the other osteopathic schools, reputation, faculty, etc? According to my friend, PCOM doesn't seem to fare well in the rankings. What school is considered the best and most respectable DO school? I know this is a very subjective question, but was very curious what you all had to say.

Any insight you can give me would be great.

Thanks in advance

2. cocobeanz

cocobeanz Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

which schools are trying to compare pcom to?
    your best bet is going for a more established school. ex: msu, kirksville. also find out about where pcom does clinicals. chances are probably michigan.

3. docorange04

docorange04 Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't think you can say that PCOM isn't established Coco. It's only been around for 101 years. In fact, we have some of the best clinical affiliations as we are in Philadelphia, a city with 5 medical schools and numerous great hospitals. Just thought I'd let you know. Not to say that the other schools are not as good, but we have been around just as long.

Phish- Where does your friend go? I can tell you that PCOM has been great so far, and as far as reputation goes, our graduates find residency positions in some highly regarded hospitals. The school is definitely well respected, especially on the east coast. Good luck in your decision on where to apply.

4. Amra

Amra A Quiet Voice of Reason
    10+ Year Member

PCOM has many affiliations in the greater Philly area. AOA publishes the Listing of Affiliated Partner Hospitals in Osteopathic Postdoctoral Training Institutions (OPTI) that includes all osteopathic school.

Download Affiliate List from AOA

-A

Speaking of PCOM, I'm going to be there on Wednesday, 08.08.2001 if anyone is interested in meeting...

5. cocobeanz

cocobeanz Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

jdg,
    sorry, i got pcom confused with pikeville. oops.
    also i am a little partial to msu because i am a spartan. hope i did not offend you.
    msu was the only DO school i applied to because at the time it was rated 9th in the country of all osteopathic and allopathic schools in the country. so i never ventured out of michigan.
    my apologies! :(

6. docorange04

docorange04 Member
    10+ Year Member

Coco - No need to apologize, I wasn't offended. I figured you were mixing it up with another school or something. Good luck at MSUCOM!

7. phd2b

phd2b Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You could probably do a search on PCSOM (Pikeville) and find the relevant experts to query (Pikevillemedstudent, etc). You could then add your question to one of their posts or email them directly. They've been fairly forthcoming in the past.