Feline Thyroid Volume/Mass?

Started by megacurie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

megacurie

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello

Does anybody know the average mass (or volume) of a thyroid gland in an average housecat, or somewhere I could find this data online? Google search did not turn up anything useful for me.

The reason I want to know is because Im interested in doing dosimetry calculations on a cat who was administered radioactive iodine-131 for hyperthyroidism. If anyone has metabolic data of iodine in cats (retention functions and whatnot) that would be really awesome. At this point though, unless something better turns up, I am thinking of using the human kinetics models adjusted for mass (which is why I need the thyroid mass) for an estimation. There has to be something *somewhere* though, as many of the models used for retention of various radionuclides/elements in humans were extrapolated from animals (especially dogs)
 
Hello

Does anybody know the average mass (or volume) of a thyroid gland in an average housecat, or somewhere I could find this data online? Google search did not turn up anything useful for me.

The reason I want to know is because Im interested in doing dosimetry calculations on a cat who was administered radioactive iodine-131 for hyperthyroidism. If anyone has metabolic data of iodine in cats (retention functions and whatnot) that would be really awesome. At this point though, unless something better turns up, I am thinking of using the human kinetics models adjusted for mass (which is why I need the thyroid mass) for an estimation. There has to be something *somewhere* though, as many of the models used for retention of various radionuclides/elements in humans were extrapolated from animals (especially dogs)
Do a search on pubmed for I131 treatment in cats. I am sure you will find lots of info.
 
In the last few hours Ive learned more about feline hyperthyroidism then I thought I would ever know. Sadly not one of dozens of papers I looked at on pubmed/agricola had the info. Went to the university library too, looked in several books on veterinarian anatomy and pathology, nothing there either. Im out of ideas here...

Edit: I did learn that biological decay kinetics are not usually used in the treatment due to the mathematical models being inaccurate (the paper with the model was not accesible). I read a scoring system is usually used with severity of clinical signs, size of the thyroid and serum T4 count looked at to determine a low med or high dose of I-131. So decay kinetics look like they are out, but there has to be something that gives the average dimentions/volume and or mass out there somewhere.