Fell off my mountain bike: broken collarbone.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RustedFox

The mouse police never sleeps.
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all.

Looked like this:

Tylenol/ibuprofen is doing just fine.
Nobody needs "percocets" (sic) for such a silly thing.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry this happened, man. You'll be back out there soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Get well dude! Remember, we're not young men anymore. No reason to be pulling off Nac-Nacs and Frontflips on that MTB at this stage. I'm sure the wipe out was graceful.

a24fbf684d3b31e77107d94fa5532ff3.jpeg

I had something similar happen a few months ago but luckily only racked myself. My voice lowered back to normal octave after a couple days.

• Haha
Ouch! that sucks. Hope you're not going to be off work for too long...

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not? If you're lucky, you may never even have to see the ortho other than in pre-op.

Yeah, in my mind, its nothing more than a nap, a plate, and a few screws and I'm back to being normal.
Asking, not telling.

Ortho: "Surgery? That sharp bone spike doesn't matter. It'll heal fine on it's own. Just give him a sling and have him see me in the office (post wallet biopsy)."

• Haha
Yeah, I'd lobby for the ORIF. Ouch.

My sister did the same (well, road bike, and she broke some ribs in the process) but since she's an Ironman triathlete, she got her ORIF. Definitely worth it for her, but it also took a couple visits to ortho and some serious skin tenting to get them to do it, though.

Reactions: 1 users
You are now a REAL cyclist!

best of luck! Is your bike salvageable, or you in the market for a new one?

Bike did way better than I did.
I know that feeling. I had LOC, compound rt radial fracture and road rash from my cheekbone to my ankles. My carbon fiber road bike had a scratched brake lever and a bend derailleur hanger which cost $15 to replace.

• Wow
I know that feeling. I had LOC, compound rt radial fracture and road rash from my cheekbone to my ankles. My carbon fiber road bike had a scratched brake lever and a bend derailleur hanger which cost $15 to replace.
Oh man this sounds brutal. Honestly, glad you survived. Road biking is 10x sketchier than mountain biking. Bad road rash can be just flat out awful and the potential for serious injury grows exponentially when you throw in drivers who are paying more attention to their phones than us on the side of the road. I'll take whizzing past pinetrees, granite boulders/slabs, jumps, and loose berms anyday over asphalt and SUV's.

Here's an interesting article from Outside Magazine that came out last week about 1 years data of cycling deaths in the US.

@RustedFox best of luck with the surgery! Hopefully you'll be on the bike again soon!

Oh man this sounds brutal. Honestly, glad you survived. Road biking is 10x sketchier than mountain biking. Bad road rash can be just flat out awful and the potential for serious injury grows exponentially when you throw in drivers who are paying more attention to their phones than us on the side of the road. I'll take whizzing past pinetrees, granite boulders/slabs, jumps, and loose berms anyday over asphalt and SUV's.

Here's an interesting article from Outside Magazine that came out last week about 1 years data of cycling deaths in the US.

@RustedFox best of luck with the surgery! Hopefully you'll be on the bike again soon!

Thanks.
I read "Outside" magazine all the time, too.

*Thumbs up*

I've been bike commuting to work for almost 3 years now without issue. The risks are there, but can be minimized, some places are much better than others. I've got reflectors, a really bright front and tail light, even a rear view mirror attachment to my glasses that allows me to see what's behind me. The trade-offs are totally worth it if you are able to do it.

Road bike racing on the other hand...

I run marathons and other road races. After one race a while back, I was looking for something different to try. I considered triathlons. But I couldn't find a place to ride a bike for hundreds of miles that wasn't teeming with crazy drivers that wouldn't lose sleep over, or even notice, a dead Birdstrike under their tire. Not that running is without risk, because it's not. But in my tourist town, sharing a road with day-drunks and octogenarians without peripheral vision, coming off the beach and out of bars, doesn't seem fun.

But if you can find a place that's reasonably safe to do it, I'm 100% for it.

Get well soon, @RustedFox. You'll be back in the game in no time.

Last edited:
You should feel much better once the hardware is installed. You might set off the magnetometer though.

Hope you feel better soon!

Glad to hear you’re managing without narcotics.

Although I’d enjoy a Percocet addled RF Rant.

But hey. A guy can dream

Hope you feel better soon!

Glad to hear you’re managing without narcotics.

Although I’d enjoy a Percocet addled RF Rant.

But hey. A guy can dream

Thanks.
I have near-full ROM of the arm and 1/10 pain at most. No joke.
Wrecked on Sunday. Monday was rough. I'm near-totally normal today.
If it weren't for the floating butterfly fragment; I'd be very tempted to not go the ORIF route.

I used to post "RustedFox Rants: [topic]" on here with predictable regularity.
I need to do that more. Will take topic suggestions.

Alright, amigos: Surgery is mañana.
I'm going to bed.
In case I die on the table, I'm trolling SDN with my last post.

Awake, amigos.
Apparently the ORIF was more complicated than expected. Seven screws and a whole lotta plates.

Will post image when I can edit off my name.
Pain = 0/10.

Last edited:
Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

Attachments

• 1612580857910989456138226281376.jpg
    1612580857910989456138226281376.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: 3 users
Title says it all.

Looked like this:

Tylenol/ibuprofen is doing just fine.
Nobody needs "percocets" (sic) for such a silly thing.

Just saw this. laughed out loud and then had to show my charge nurse because she wanted to know what I found so funny.

apparently star wars vs mountain biking jokes is "some white boy humor that I dont get."

Just saw this. laughed out loud and then had to show my charge nurse because she wanted to know what I found so funny.

apparently star wars vs mountain biking jokes is "some white boy humor that I dont get."

Glad I could bring you the lolz.
Post-op day 3.
Pain = 0/10.
Bandages and sutures/staples come out on Thursday.

How am I gonna troll the ortho?

Tell him/her that "I just couldn't wait, and I got back on the bike".

This was my first thought, too: Tell him that I rode the bike over to my appointment after asking: "When can I get back on the bike?"

• Haha
Glad I could bring you the lolz.
Post-op day 3.
Pain = 0/10.
Bandages and sutures/staples come out on Thursday.

How am I gonna troll the ortho?
At your six week follow up, ask him if it's okay that you removed the screws yourself

Reactions: 2 users