Fellowship 101

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rutgers2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am a P3 student who has recently developed an interest in industry and applying for a fellowship. However, I don't really know much about the process and how to prepare for it and make myself a good candidate with the limited time I have left. The most I have done recently is applied for an elective APPE in industry which I hope I will get. How else can I make myself a good candidate and what is the fellowship process like? Also, I realize there are many different fields within industry, but if I have no experience then how would I know which field I would like?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a P4 who got a fellowship, start in July. I was in a sort of similar boat, only had industry APPE's as industry experience. I had 2 months in reg affairs and 1 month in med info. I never had a summer industry internship, only worked at CVS. I was heavily involved in student organizations, had good grades, and did a long-term student research project (not a directly drug-related one though). That's essentially what I had going into it.

Outside of getting as much exposure to industry as possible, here are some tips. Hopefully whereever you end up with an industry APPE is good about networking you via calls or face-to-face with other PharmD in different roles so you can learn a bit.

- Network! If you know any current fellows, get on their good side and ask them good questions in the fall sometime. This will be easier if you know someone or if the company you're APPEing at has fellows. If not, send emails to program directors once the contact info is available in updated brochures. Show interest, request a phonecall if they offer you to ask followup questions. If you're looking at Rutgers, GO TO FIND. And stay and talk to as many people as you can. Ask questions that you want to know the answers to, but that also genuinely show your interest.

- Application season is intense, let me know if you're looking at Rutgers or non-Rutgers and I'll explain further.

- Here is a link to a nice pdf describing some industry roles. Some good basics in there. To know more, you'd have to have a rotation in a certain field or talk to someone in that field. I'm going into Reg Affairs so I can only speak to that.
http://pharmafellows.rutgers.edu/resources/rutgers_brochure_careeropps.pdf

Thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it!! I worked several years for a major retail chain and currently work for a hospital (1.5 years or so as of now). I have a high GPA and am in Rho Chi (doubt that helps though lol), I have one leadership position in a pharmacy organization for the past 2 years (not industry related), no projects/posters/or publications though.

I got my rotation schedule and didn't get an industry rotation, but I'm hoping to switch that. The only ones that were left were Medication Safety/Pharmacovigilance but it's still something. I am mainly interested in the Rutgers Fellowship Program. What is the application process like and how can I make myself stand out?

Sorry for the really delayed response by the way!