Fellowship Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharm0893

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm preparing for Midyear, and leaning towards doing a fellowship. I would appreciate any good honest feedback on how you like it. Good, bad, neutral? The only firsthand experience I have with a fellow is a pretty outgoing, type A guy from the class above me-- seems to be made for it. Has anyone done a fellowship and regretted it? Or not been able to find a job afterwards? I have some good research and APPE experience that I think makes me competitive, but I feel like I am still not really sure what a job in industry will be like, or if I will succeed with no real previous skills going into it? I would love to hear your stories. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Guys,

I'm preparing for Midyear, and leaning towards doing a fellowship. I would appreciate any good honest feedback on how you like it. Good, bad, neutral? The only firsthand experience I have with a fellow is a pretty outgoing, type A guy from the class above me-- seems to be made for it. Has anyone done a fellowship and regretted it? Or not been able to find a job afterwards? I have some good research and APPE experience that I think makes me competitive, but I feel like I am still not really sure what a job in industry will be like, or if I will succeed with no real previous skills going into it? I would love to hear your stories. Thanks!

Every fellowship is different. You and a friend can work at the same company, different departments and have totally different experiences

The key is really knowing wth you are getting into. What type of "research" have you done. Clinical research vs bench research vs outcomes research could potentially land you in 3 completely separate departments, all with different expectations.

I focused primarily on clinical research in school. My overall goal is to work in technology transfer/translational. So I picked a fellowship that provided me even exposure to regulatory science, clinical and lab research. Who knows what other opportunities will present themselves, so just go into it with an open mind. I have yet to met a fellow who was not able to land a position somewhere after completion (either at the company they did the fellowship or somewhere else)

FIND at Rutgers University should be your next stop honestly, registration opened today. [Rutgers Pharmaceutical Industry Program] There are also several online webinars from different companies being held to give you a better idea of potential fellowships. Goodluck!

Do you really think FIND is useful? I live on the west coast, and I'm contemplating if the travelling to FIND would be worth it.