Nov 29, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hello, I have a question about specifying interests in oncology on fellowship application. My research background in undergrad/medical school/residency has had been varied with clinical malignant heme, basic and clinical solid tumor, and translational immunotherapy research. My goal is a strong academic institution for fellowship and then academic career and involved in clinical/translational research.

My question is on interviews how specific do I need to be on the career I’m interested in? I know I want to do oncology as opposed to benign heme, but I don’t know if I have a specific oncology field I’m dead set on. I can certainly choose one to say on interviews if I need to and I could show genuine interest and not be lying. At the moment I’m leaning towards more solid tumor but personally would want to complete a malignant heme/BMT rotation in residency before closing that avenue down as I’ve got a real interest in CAR T cell therapy from prior research.

Should I choose a specific oncology field during interviews then wherever I match re-evaluate my interests once in the program and seeing the available faculty? Thanks

bobsmith

10+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2008
I think it's perfectly acceptable (and mature) to say you're open to different fields if you are - most reasonable faculty will understand that interests can change over the course of fellowship and that you don't have to have the next 25 years of your life (/academic plans) perfectly mapped out.

I do think if you do have a very specific / niche research interest and want to work with a particular lab/advisor/group during fellowship, mentioning this interest and trying to interview with the appropriate people during the interview process can be useful to get a sense of if a place is right for you.

That being said, even amongst the 3-4 of my co-fellows who were very clear about who they wanted to work with when they started fellowship / seemed to have a very clear set life plan for what they wanted to do, most ended up doing something completely different.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.