Fellowship applications and Covid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaesarRO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't see a thread on this topic yet. Spouse will be applying this cycle.

Any thoughts on how interview season might look this year?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

I could see both scenarios playing out. In-person interviews with distancing, etc or people mainly utilizing Skype/Zoom. I'd think by Aug/Sept/Oct you'd have smart in-person interviews, but wouldn't be surprised either way

Don't see a thread on this topic yet. Spouse will be applying this cycle.

Any thoughts on how interview season might look this year?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

We're most likely doing 100% virtual interviews, which is crazy to me (not sure how we won't just recruit local candidates -- but I do suppose that a lot of fellowship match tends to be local anyway).

Members don't see this ad :)
We're most likely doing 100% virtual interviews, which is crazy to me (not sure how we won't just recruit local candidates -- but I do suppose that a lot of fellowship match tends to be local anyway).

Could the residency program technically decide to change midway and say instead of zoom they would want to do in person?

For example, maybe August to September they do zoom, but the situation gets better and states restrictions are lifted. Then they start inviting people in person October to November. Wouldn’t that be unfair to the August/September applicants?

Could the residency program technically decide to change midway and say instead of zoom they would want to do in person?

For example, maybe August to September they do zoom, but the situation gets better and states restrictions are lifted. Then they start inviting people in person October to November. Wouldn’t that be unfair to the August/September applicants?

Because of what you point out above, I'm pretty sure it has to be all-virtual or all-in-person in order to not cause a bias by switching halfway. Since we cannot guarantee the safety of all-in-person for the entire interview season, it is likely to be all-virtual.

We're going to be filling with a lot of local candidates this year I think.
My hospital was hit hard and doesn't want to go through it twice in one year.

We're going to be filling with a lot of local candidates this year I think.

This troubles me, honestly. For personal/significant other reasons I don't want to stay in my current city for fellowship. I wanted to ask how many folks out there are thinking about taking a gap year? Talking with folks at my home program (name brand university program in the northeast) a lot of people have shifted their plans to take a gap year in light of all this COVID19 stuff (and I feel like no fellowship program director is going to question why people would want to take a year off in the midst of all this).

I would also question whether fellowship training is going to be hijacked for coverage of COVID patients for the next year (or two). Especially in hard hit cities.

I would also question whether fellowship training is going to be hijacked for coverage of COVID patients for the next year (or two). Especially in hard hit cities.

Fair question. I’m a 3rd year fellow in NYC and many of us were indeed pulled for covid service (I was a night hospitalist for 6 weeks!) but that has for the most part ended. Still have 2 hem/Onc fellows covering the ICU but my sense is that even with a second wave it wouldn’t likely require the kind of Herculean coverage we needed this time. About half of our hem/Onc fellows ended up covering covid services (1st years were generally protected)

Reactions: 1 user