fellowship- Card and GI and Hem/Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mossyfiber12

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I was wondering if it matters where you do your medicine rotation from if you want to go into Card, GI or Hem/Onc. I have heard people say that if you work hard during your IM residency, then you will get your top choice in fellowship. I have also heard that you need to go to a reputable program for your IM residency to be recruited to a top fellowship program.

So what's the deal?
 
Hey guys,

I was wondering if it matters where you do your medicine rotation from if you want to go into Card, GI or Hem/Onc. I have heard people say that if you work hard during your IM residency, then you will get your top choice in fellowship. I have also heard that you need to go to a reputable program for your IM residency to be recruited to a top fellowship program.

So what's the deal?

The main ways to increase your chances of getting the fellowship position of your choice are:
1) choose a residency program that is closely associated with that fellowship program
2) do well in residency, Step III, in-service exams etc
3) get yourself elected chief resident.