Fellowship Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJR

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in a deferred status for residency in the Navy. I really want to pursue a civilian fellowship and was wondering how to best increase my chances of being given this opportunity. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a huge need for the subspecialty I am interested in. Is it true that you need to have a utilization tour to even apply for a fellowship?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The only information I can offer is that I knew an Air Force resident doing his ENT residency at a civilian hospital. This was about 2 years ago. When done with residency he was going directly to a civilian otology fellowship.

So, I guess the answer to this question

Is it true that you need to have a utilization tour to even apply for a fellowship?

is 'no'.

Is it true that you need to have a utilization tour to even apply for a fellowship?

Not at all. My situation somewhat mirrors your own: I am in the Navy, having received a civilian residency deferment (radiology). I also applied for and was/am deferred for a civilian fellowship. I did not go on a utilization tour and my fellowship immediately follows my residency.

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a huge need for the subspecialty I am interested in.

The fellowship I was deferred for has never been granted before in the Navy. Right place right time.

You can maximize your chances of getting a fellowship deferal by talking with your specialty leader and honestly discussing your desires/situation, especially if the fellowship you desire might not be a high-priority for the Navy. My situation is the exception to the rule because I have basically gotten everything I have desired so far from the Navy. *furiously knocking on wood* ;) Remember, there is always a chance... (reminds me of a quote from Dumb and Dumber).

I would recommend applying for the Navy pre-selection board if you are far enough out (2 years from fellowship start time). If you don't get selected you can always apply the following year for the selection board and have the potential to scramble into a fellowship program (not ideal, but possible).

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting, I didn't realize there was a pre-selection board. You can apply to that while still in the middle of residency, you don't have to wait for your last year? That makes things sound much more attractive.

Yes--this is necessary because for radiology the fellowship 'match' is an entire year before residency is complete. The one big caveat is that, as always, these are projected needs of the Navy, which can change over the course of one year (either positively or negatively). My advice is to apply as often as you can, it doesn't take too much effort.

Interesting, I didn't realize there was a pre-selection board. You can apply to that while still in the middle of residency, you don't have to wait for your last year? That makes things sound much more attractive.

The "pre-selection" board is the one that approves the fellowships years in advance, as you had discussed in your earlier post. The individuals are pre-selected for participation in fellowship programs typically 1 - 2 years down the road.

I am currently in a deferred status for residency in the Navy. I really want to pursue a civilian fellowship and was wondering how to best increase my chances of being given this opportunity. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a huge need for the subspecialty I am interested in. Is it true that you need to have a utilization tour to even apply for a fellowship?

Thanks

Sorry, need more information. What are you finishing and what are you looking to do?

Not at all. My situation somewhat mirrors your own: I am in the Navy, having received a civilian residency deferment (radiology). I also applied for and was/am deferred for a civilian fellowship. I did not go on a utilization tour and my fellowship immediately follows my residency.

The fellowship I was deferred for has never been granted before in the Navy. Right place right time.

You can maximize your chances of getting a fellowship deferal by talking with your specialty leader and honestly discussing your desires/situation, especially if the fellowship you desire might not be a high-priority for the Navy. My situation is the exception to the rule because I have basically gotten everything I have desired so far from the Navy. *furiously knocking on wood* ;) Remember, there is always a chance... (reminds me of a quote from Dumb and Dumber).

I would recommend applying for the Navy pre-selection board if you are far enough out (2 years from fellowship start time). If you don't get selected you can always apply the following year for the selection board and have the potential to scramble into a fellowship program (not ideal, but possible).

Good luck.

Excellent points. The whole "communication" thing cannot be overemphasized. Also, if you desire to continue NADDS status, be sure you emphasize this as it makes a big different for funding or, rather, lack of funding necessary for whatever your service is.