Fellowship Personal Statements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aracari

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

What information should really be on a Psychiatry fellowship personal statement? After composing personal statements multiple times on the journey from college to med school to residency, I'm at a stage where it's hard to muster up the zen mode needed to write yet another personal statement.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Like all the others, you should explain why you want to go into that particular fellowship at that particular institution.

Hi guys,

What information should really be on a Psychiatry fellowship personal statement? After composing personal statements multiple times on the journey from college to med school to residency, I'm at a stage where it's hard to muster up the zen mode needed to write yet another personal statement.

Thanks in advance.
Can't muster up a statement? Might just be a sign to skip doing the fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Writing about yourself is very hard. My fellowship director friends often tell me that they are so lucky to get more useful and accurate data on their applicants because they have done a residency. Take you residency essay and condense the best point or two in two or three sentences. Then think about your training and what you are most proud of accomplishing. Maybe include not only what you mastered easily, but how you were behind a curve or two and made extra effort to overcompensate for the deficit. End with how transformative it was and how you look forward to continuing the journey in fellowship. Include something about why Forensics, Geriatrics, C&A... probably it is best not to talk about one case like MS4s do since you have had more exposure.

Many fellowships are small, so picking the right people is quite important. The people reviewing your application have a good sense of your CV, letters of rec, etc so the personal statement does not need to be a rehash of this. Sell your application - why do you want to be at this program, and why should it want you? Your CV will not tell the program that you need to be in the area because your spouse just landed a dream job there, or that you really want to work with a particular researcher. You also get to highlight items from your background and explain why that will make you a great fellow (and potential future attending in the program, should you so choose). We are all adults at this point so I'd say prioritize practical over starry-eyed points at this stage of the game, but of course let your passion for the work / fellowship bleed through (and it had better be there, you are giving up a couple hundred grand and a sweeter lifestyle for the opportunity!).

Mine was basically:
1) Why I want to do this subspecialty
2) My career goals/highlights of what I've done during med school/residency that supports said career goals and fits in with 1)
3) Why X place is the place I want to get further training

I didn't put in personal stuff about my spouse/family in the PS but I did mention it in interviews (my partner just matched at X place, so I want to be within X miles). PS was by far the hardest part of the app for me. WOuldn't take it as a sign to not to a fellowship though. Just think of it as *hopefully* your last one of these...

I've been working on my statement and definitely focused on why I wanted to work in this field as well as my strengths and weaknesses. However, I had no plans to mention one specific program by name. How necessary is that? I would really prefer not to have to restructure my statement for every program I apply to.