Ganz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2003
Status (Visible)
It appears that most people talk about Cytopathology, or Derm path fellowships. Are these the ones that are always talked about because they make the most money, or because they make you marketable after you finish? If you want to do derm path, are you also competeing with Dermatology residents who want to do the fellowship? And finally, can anyone give any insight into Hematopathology, and selective pathology?

thanks.

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Fixing in 10% neutral buffered formalin
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
A cytopath fellowship makes you more marketable for a private practice job. Would you hire someone who could sign out just surg path, or sign out surg path and cytology? Dermpath is not quite the same, as lots of people finishing dermpath fellowships end up practicing only (or mostly) dermpath, because of specimen volume. And you do often have to cpmete with derm residents for spots, although I am not sure if some programs save spots for one or the other. Almost every fellowship you do will increase your marketability though.

Hemepath is different because it's usually a 2 year fellowship. Not sure what your questions are about this are.

Selective pathology, I am not sure what exactly you are referring to. I know some programs offer a flexible fellowship where you can spend time in general surg path and in other specialized areas within it.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.