Fellowship schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willymtn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate to be that guy, but what does the lifestyle & schedule of a primary care sports med fellow look like? Is it similar to the 60- to 80-hour-week grind of residency, or is it more relaxed? I assume they work regular clinic hours with event coverage in addition?

I've been planning and prepping for a sports fellowship with the intention to apply this upcoming cycle, but am realizing how burnt out I am from working long hours for the last 6 years. I'm not sure if my mental health can take another year of this. I think I would enjoy primary care, but adding sports med to my future practice would ideally provide me variety and the satisfaction of the MSK care that I certainly love.

Members don't see this ad.

I hate to be that guy, but what does the lifestyle & schedule of a primary care sports med fellow look like? Is it similar to the 60- to 80-hour-week grind of residency, or is it more relaxed? I assume they work regular clinic hours with event coverage in addition?

I've been planning and prepping for a sports fellowship with the intention to apply this upcoming cycle, but am realizing how burnt out I am from working long hours for the last 6 years. I'm not sure if my mental health can take another year of this. I think I would enjoy primary care, but adding sports med to my future practice would ideally provide me variety and the satisfaction of the MSK care that I certainly love.
I won’t lie to you.....it’s a lot. Especially if you’re a solo fellow or even one of two. During football season you’ll routinely get home at 11 on Fridays and Saturdays. There’s Sunday training rooms. There’s soccer during random weeknights. There’s trips to your high school mid week after you’ve been in clinic all day.

Last edited:
I won’t lie to you.....it’s a lot. Especially if you’re a solo fellow or even one of two. During football season you’ll routinely get home at 11 on Fridays and Saturdays. There’s Sunday training rooms. There’s soccer during random weeknights. There’s trips to your high school mid week after you’ve been in clinic all day.

That's what I figured. My residency doesn't have an affiliated fellowship, so I haven't had the chance to talk to current fellows. The AMSSM conference later this month will be my first chance to talk to people actually in the thick of it. I also will be doing a two-week elective at my top-choice program in June, so I hope that will give me a better idea of whether I can tough it out for another year of training.

Thanks for the reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd rather spend 3 hours covering a football game than getting a consult for an admission in the ER. Honestly fellowship didn't even feel like work!

I'd rather spend 3 hours covering a football game than getting a consult for an admission in the ER. Honestly fellowship didn't even feel like work!

Great point. The games I've covered are way better than any day in the hospital!

I think a lot depends on where you train and how many fellows are covering and how many teams you cover. This is variable. I interviewed at places where fellows were covering 2-3nights/ week plus weekend events. Covering games is directly better than clinic or hospital work, but is still work and still time away from home, spouse, kids, friends, netflix.
Im at a place with many fellows so the load is spread out a bit more, plus ill bring a kid with me for events whereI'm mostly just watching and don't need to be on the sidelines (basketball, volleyball, baseball, etc) abd make it into family time.
I think this year had been a whole hell of a lot better and more relaxing in general than any year of residency, busy at times, but a better year.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with above it is a lot, it took up my entire life and now still does... I LOVE it.
Sounds like sports is not for you right now, why not take a year off and apply later?

This.

+/- Random mass participation events that you have to cover throughout the year.

Hey

All I can say is that I am enroute to AMSSM, and stepping away from the schedule is very much needed. It is an extremely busy year: coverage, volume of material to be learned, procedures, etc. I feel like I completed a 2nd residency in a different specialty. I'm definitely ready to be done.

Go in to the year committed to learn and be at peace with the fact that it is a busy and intense year, but very rewarding. Certainly not all places are like that, but you want to go to a place where the opportunity cost of delaying work for 1 year is justified by the education.