Fellowship years after residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subtle1epiphany

Junior Faculty
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in internal medicine and know that I want to focus on primary care at first, but I have to admit that some of the fellowships very tempting and intriguing. Is it possible to get a residency in internal medicine and then practice for some time (a few years to a decade perhaps) and then to specialize in cardio or nephro for instance? Also I wonder if this would make the process far more difficult in the long run than just specializing from the start, as I imagine the great majority of medical graduates do.
Any info would be great! TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it's very possible. Just make sure to stay in touch with your residency program as you'll still need to get LOR's out. I think that's one thing that holds people back from delving back into a fellowship after working in primary care for a few years. The bigger issue is probably the salary discrepancy; I imagine that it's tough to take a $60-80k paycut to work harder, especially when you're older and more likely to have a kid or two to support.

Many colleagues are taking 1-2 years after IM and then get a fellowship. When applying for a fellowship, I am sure they will be asked why they took a break from the academic environment.

lf