fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwiggo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with fellowship? Does it or doesn't it extend your ADO? Does it matter whether your fellowship is civilian or military? I have heard different things from different attendings.

Members don't see this ad.

The only way that a fellowship doesn't extend your ADO is if you do an unsupported civilian one, meaning you get paid by the program and not the military. I think that type of fellowship is exceedingly rare, and the vast majority of people are only allowed to do a military or supported civilian fellowship.

I believe the addition to your ADO is 6 months for every 6 months of fellowship, with a 2 year minimum. So, 1 year fellowship = 2 year ADO.

The only way that a fellowship doesn't extend your ADO is if you do an unsupported civilian one, meaning you get paid by the program and not the military. I think that type of fellowship is exceedingly rare, and the vast majority of people are only allowed to do a military or supported civilian fellowship.

I believe the addition to your ADO is 6 months for every 6 months of fellowship, with a 2 year minimum. So, 1 year fellowship = 2 year ADO.

Unless you still owe time, in which case a 1 year fellowship only adds 1 year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you still owe time, in which case a 1 year fellowship only adds 1 year.

Could you expound on this? Is this all branches? All specialties? Your source?

I'm interested in doing fellowship, but I'm weighing that against adding to my ADO.

I ask because I know several physicians from my program have turned down 1-year fellowships right out of residency because it added 2 years to their ADO.

Could you expound on this? Is this all branches? All specialties? Your source?

I'm interested in doing fellowship, but I'm weighing that against adding to my ADO.

I ask because I know several physicians from my program have turned down 1-year fellowships right out of residency because it added 2 years to their ADO.

Not sure where they got their info. This is the link to the Navy GME info. All GME 2+ is treated the same. As long as you already owe 1 year, you'll only add one year to get above the minimum 2 year ADO.

http://nshs.med.navy.mil/gme/NAVMEDGME.htm#Summary of Active Duty Obligation for GME