SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

fellowship?

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by kwiggo, May 1, 2007.

1. kwiggo

kwiggo Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Jun 10, 2005
    What's the deal with fellowship? Does it or doesn't it extend your ADO? Does it matter whether your fellowship is civilian or military? I have heard different things from different attendings.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. colbgw02

colbgw02 Delightfully Tacky 10+ Year Member

The only way that a fellowship doesn't extend your ADO is if you do an unsupported civilian one, meaning you get paid by the program and not the military. I think that type of fellowship is exceedingly rare, and the vast majority of people are only allowed to do a military or supported civilian fellowship.

I believe the addition to your ADO is 6 months for every 6 months of fellowship, with a 2 year minimum. So, 1 year fellowship = 2 year ADO.

4. Gastrapathy

Gastrapathy no longer apathetic Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2007
    Unless you still owe time, in which case a 1 year fellowship only adds 1 year.

5. colbgw02

colbgw02 Delightfully Tacky 10+ Year Member

Could you expound on this? Is this all branches? All specialties? Your source?

I'm interested in doing fellowship, but I'm weighing that against adding to my ADO.

I ask because I know several physicians from my program have turned down 1-year fellowships right out of residency because it added 2 years to their ADO.

6. Gastrapathy

Gastrapathy no longer apathetic Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2007
    Not sure where they got their info. This is the link to the Navy GME info. All GME 2+ is treated the same. As long as you already owe 1 year, you'll only add one year to get above the minimum 2 year ADO.

http://nshs.med.navy.mil/gme/NAVMEDGME.htm#Summary%20of%20Active%20Duty%20Obligation%20for%20GME