Fellowships !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Meroz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, after you get done with your USMLE, what are the specialties that you can get into a fellowship directly without having to do residency?

To my knowledge, pediatrics and radiology were among them, any info would be appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

peds and rads are both residency programs. i don't know what's being asked here.

The OP appears to be a foreign trainee who is asking if he/she can work in the US with only doing a fellowship.

The answer is IF you are fully qualified in your own country, there are US fellowships in many specialties which will allow foreign trained physicians training. However you cannot just pick a fellowship at random and become employable in the US by virtue of having completed your USMLEs and doing the fellowship. If you are a fully qualified radiologist in your home country, there are radiology fellowships for which you might be qualified and accepted; same goes for Peds. Each fellowship and board will have their own requirements as to eligibility criteria.

Members don't see this ad :)
As WS states, IF you are fully trained in your home country and IF a PD in the US is willing consider that adequate then you can come to the US and do just a fellowship. If you do 3 years of fellowship, you should be able to apply for a license in the US. However:

1. You may NOT be eligible for board certification. In IM, you must be core IM certified to become subspecialty certified, so you would not be eligible for board certification. This might seriously affect your ability to be employed (although you could open a private practice). You would likely not be credentialable at most hospitals. Other fields might be more lenient.

2. This all goes away in 2016. Starting then, all prior training must be ACGME. Only international ACGME-I training would be considered acceptable (and still does not qualify for the board certification issue above)

As WS states, IF you are fully trained in your home country and IF a PD in the US is willing consider that adequate then you can come to the US and do just a fellowship. If you do 3 years of fellowship, you should be able to apply for a license in the US. However:

1. You may NOT be eligible for board certification. In IM, you must be core IM certified to become subspecialty certified, so you would not be eligible for board certification. This might seriously affect your ability to be employed (although you could open a private practice). You would likely not be credentialable at most hospitals. Other fields might be more lenient.

2. This all goes away in 2016. Starting then, all prior training must be ACGME. Only international ACGME-I training would be considered acceptable (and still does not qualify for the board certification issue above)

Do you know if Canadian residency programs are ACGME certified?

Canadian residencies are MRCP certified, which is equivalent. My above statement forgot to mention that -- all canadian training is perfectly acceptable.

Canadian residencies are MRCP certified, which is equivalent. My above statement forgot to mention that -- all canadian training is perfectly acceptable.

Wait so are you saying that MRCP certified residencies are also board eligible? In that case, would UK residencies/speciality training be board eligible in the US? How about Australia, Ireland?

OK, now I look like a complete fool. Canadian programs are certified by RCPSC. So, in order to qualify for ACGME fellowships, prior residency training will need to be in the US or Canada. Theoretically, ACGME-I training will count also - so far there are programs in Qatar, UAE, and Singapore. Whether US PD's will consider these applicants or not is unclear, as although they meet ACGME criteria, they will not qualify for ABMS certification nor licensure. All other training will not count.

Reactions: 1 user