Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheSeanieB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would someone tell me what the different fellowships are for anesthesiology and how comopetitive they are to get into? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Acredited fellowships with board certification are pain, cardiac, cc and pedi. You can also do fellowships in OB, neuro and regional. Pain, pedi and cardiac are most competitive.

Regaarding Cardiac, can you give me an idea of how competitive? What percentage of applicants get a fellowship? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Regaarding Cardiac, can you give me an idea of how competitive? What percentage of applicants get a fellowship? Thanks.

I'm not sure there is a stat available for that. There is no match, so who knows how many people apply, don't get in, or change their mind after receiving an offer.

I suppose the ACGME accredited spots have been filling the past few years, which means someone is not getting a cardiac spot. Not so sure about the non-accred. I don't think you need to be AOA, chief resident and 99% ITE to get in. But traditionally, Anesthesia fellowships had to beg people to come out. Not so anymore. At least for cardiac, the good programs have more apps than they can handle. SO yes, they are more competitive than they have been, but we're not talking Derm residency competitive.

Peds Anesthesia has a match now, though not everyone participates and many programs reserve spots for candidates outside of the match. We interview 5 or 6 people for each spot available, and have many more applicants that we don't interview. I'm sure people go unmatched in Peds, but because of the way it is set up, there's no way to know how competitive it really is.
Board certification in peds is coming very soon. I think the plan was for the exam to be ready next year. One more opportunity to extract another grand or two from our wallets every 10 years.:mad: I can't wait to see what else they are going to require once it gets up and running.

Peds Anesthesia has a match now, though not everyone participates and many programs reserve spots for candidates outside of the match. We interview 5 or 6 people for each spot available, and have many more applicants that we don't interview. I'm sure people go unmatched in Peds, but because of the way it is set up, there's no way to know how competitive it really is.
Board certification in peds is coming very soon. I think the plan was for the exam to be ready next year. One more opportunity to extract another grand or two from our wallets every 10 years.:mad: I can't wait to see what else they are going to require once it gets up and running.

Out of curiousity, where do you see the applications coming from, 4 year residents, attendings? Is the trend in CRNAs effecting applications?

Yea, fellowship are definitely getting more competitive. Miami told us that they won't hire anyone of their new grads without a fellowship, and that the number of people going into fellowships has increased to 50% from 25% just two or three years ago. So many programs were talking about starting peds fellowship (again, free labor for them I guess).

It really made me think hard about ranking programs with fellowships higher, although the fellowship factor doesn't trump location on my ROL.

Out of curiousity, where do you see the applications coming from, 4 year residents, attendings? Is the trend in CRNAs effecting applications?

Residents. 1/2 of our home team residents are doing fellowships, last year it was even more. I'm sure that they do it to make themselves more competitive in a tighter market. The CRNA factor is also there. It's a wildcard. I don't see many Children's Hospitals hiring independent CRNAs for complex peds.

Yea, fellowship are definitely getting more competitive. Miami told us that they won't hire anyone of their new grads without a fellowship, and that the number of people going into fellowships has increased to 50% from 25% just two or three years ago. So many programs were talking about starting peds fellowship (again, free labor for them I guess).

There can't possibly be enough fellowship positions in the country for 50% of graduating residents to go on to fellowship. Certainly some individual residency programs have that many go on to fellowship - did you mean that particular program (Miami) has increased to 50% from 25%?

I'd guess that many if not most anesthesia programs in the US send zero or one graduate on to fellowship each year. I think we get a pretty skewed view of who and what here on SDN, since our readership/postership is generally a brilliant, board-crushing, witty, and handsome/beautiful cohort.

There can't possibly be enough fellowship positions in the country for 50% of graduating residents to go on to fellowship. Certainly some individual residency programs have that many go on to fellowship - did you mean that particular program (Miami) has increased to 50% from 25%?

I'd guess that many if not most anesthesia programs in the US send zero or one graduate on to fellowship each year. I think we get a pretty skewed view of who and what here on SDN, since our readership/postership is generally a brilliant, board-crushing, witty, and handsome/beautiful cohort.

Did we meet somewhere along the line? :)

It's true that we seem to be a more academic bunch. I'm sure most programs send more like 10%.

yea, I mean that particular program now sends about 50% to fellowship vs. 25% just two years ago. And that's definitely the trend EVERYWHERE I interviewed (15 programs). Fellowships seemed to be the rule rather than the exception, I would guess most programs I interviewed at sent at least 25% of people into fellowships.