Felony conviction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You know what? When I take time to think about how stupid I was when I was younger, I want to beat myself in the head. Not just because of losing my civil rights and having a permanent stain on my record, but because I can't even fathom what my thought process or state of mind was to do what I did. It's just not me. The person I know as myself goes out of his way to help people in every way possible. I don't compromise my integrity for anything. I'm honest to a fault. I remember what it was like to have nightmares every singly night when I was 16-19 years old because of the life I was living, and I don't ever want to go back to that. If a cashier puts 4 cents in the register for me so that she doesn't have to give me back 96 cents, it bothers me until I make a point to go back and straighten it out.

The good thing is that I try to keep myself so busy with positive growth that it helps me not beat myself up all the time, but it does hurt when I think about what I did.

Hopefully people will not only look at where I came from, but also how far I've come along.

Members don't see this ad.

The only problem is that some mistakes are bad enough to haunt you for your whole life. Arrests can hurt your chances to get a license to practice in some states.

I have a friend who was arrested on something minor and ended up getting into license issues. Of course, that wasn't helped when his identity was stolen and he had to temporarily suspend his ability to prescribe medications.

Any time something suspect happens to your record, you have to report it for the rest of your life. Whenever you get sued, you have to report that for the renewal of your license and get someone to vouch for your character.

Those are some of the issues that bother me about medicine...you work so hard to get there and then a few bad situations can kick you out for good...

Members don't see this ad :)
Is getting into a fight considered a misdemeanor or a felony?

"Assault is the crime of violence against another person. Simple assaults do not involve weapons; aggravated assaults do. Assault is often defined to include not only violence, but any physical contact with another person without their consent.

the crime of battery consists of an injury or other contact upon the person of another in a manner likely to cause bodily harm.
Battery can be differentiated from assault thusly: If A advances upon B by chasing after him and swinging a fist at his head, that action is considered assault. If A should actually strike B, he will have committed battery.

Crimes which are commonly considered to be felonies include: aggravated assault, arson, burglary, murder, and rape. "

Out of my curiosity, I cut and paste the above from a web site I found. Looks like a fight is only a misdemeanor when there is no weapon involved?

O ok, I often go to dance clubs with my friends and on a few occasions they have gotten in fights. I am always afraid that one time I will be pulled into a fight and be arrested and that will be the end of my dream of becoming a doctor.

"Assault is the crime of violence against another person. Simple assaults do not involve weapons; aggravated assaults do. Assault is often defined to include not only violence, but any physical contact with another person without their consent.

the crime of battery consists of an injury or other contact upon the person of another in a manner likely to cause bodily harm.
Battery can be differentiated from assault thusly: If A advances upon B by chasing after him and swinging a fist at his head, that action is considered assault. If A should actually strike B, he will have committed battery.

Crimes which are commonly considered to be felonies include: aggravated assault, arson, burglary, murder, and rape. "

Out of my curiosity, I cut and paste the above from a web site I found. Looks like a fight is only a misdemeanor when there is no weapon involved?

Wrong. A fight can be a felony. If you don't have money for a lawyer to defend you, most likely you'll get a felony for it instead of the misdemeanor. That's how it is in the state of California. In fact, making a threat against a person without fighting is also a felony in itself, even if you didn't mean it. It's called a Terrorist Threat and considered a violent felony. Here are two examples:

Example 1: There was a 13 year old autistic kid who got a felony for drawing a picture.
http://law.rightpundits.com/?p=1615

Example 2: Then there's William Poole who got a felony for writing... wait for it... zombie stories?
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2005/mar2005/kent-m11.shtml

Both examples are considered terrorist threat felonies.
So yes, you can get a "violent" felony and you don't even have to put your fists up!

6 years later. Thanks for resurrecting another dead thread.

Why do people sign up for forums just so they could respond to long-dead threads? Am I missing something?