Felony conviction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solid snake

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it by any means hurt chances getting into med school?
How about in the long run, such as when you already have your license to practice, does it effect you, like restrictions or are you under the eye of someone?

If you get charged with a felony, but not convicted, then since those secondaries and I believe also the amcas application, the felony conviction does not get checked?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are charged and not convicted you sure as hell dont have to put it on your app. This is why we have a justice system that is founded on the principle innocent until proven guilty.

i believe most states require you to forfeit your license if convicted of a felony ( i cant speak for all of them but i know new york does). I dont think there is much leeway for lenience or reinstatement. Its pretty hard to apply or reapply for a new license with a felony conviction as well.

New york state keeps a public database of disciplinary procedures on its licensed physicians. If I had the link, i'd let you know.

I know of a doc who was convicted of a felony, lost his license and unsuccesfully tried to have it reinstated in different states, but claims he can be reinstated overseas.

malpractice charges are another story, here you can get away without losing your license.

If you're arrested but not convicted, then by all means dont state it on your application to medical school. If you are charged but have not yet been tried, then start med school, then get convicted, good luck getting licensed.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey solid snake...my guess is that you were charged with a felony and you haven't had your day in court yet so you don't know yet if u'll be convicted? well my only advice is that from now on be so incredibly careful and have a 100% clean record from here on out. if you get convicted it will be tough to get into med schools but be honest about whatever happened and write a little paragraph with each of your apps explaining it and how u learned from it and stuff.....i hope that helps.

keep your head up.

i was recently charged and convicted of two misdemeanors and it has been by far the biggest learning experience of my life. there are some things that no one can teach....it's unforunate that it takes some bad stuff for good things to happen, but hey life's crazy like that.

oh, i just realized that there are different grades for felonies. Maybe the forfeiture rule only applied to high felonies (A, B, etc.)

In any case, i didnt mean to be discouraging, i hope you fulfill your dreams. Maybe state medical board websites would help?

each state is different when it comes to felonies. i think the million dollar question is: what were you charged for? it's a bit difficult to judge your situation and your chances of redeeming yourself if we don't know what exactly happened. however, i understand if you don't want to talk about it. you can PM if you have any further questions. oh yeah and GET A LAWYER.

plead down to a misdemeanor? im not a laywer, get one.

Originally posted by exmike
plead down to a misdemeanor? im not a laywer, get one.

although this can be done the problem with that is this. let me actually give u an example.

let's say u get a DUI (felony in many cases) and you go to court and u have a lawyer and u plea bargain your case down to reckless driving (VERY COMMON for first time offenders in a good number of states) then yes of course this is better then having that DUI conviction but here's the deal. when someone checks your record it will ALWAYS say that your DUI charge was lowered down to a reckless. they will know that you just "got off easy". so in terms of many peoples eyes it looks nearly the same.

if you think u can win your case then try to do so but as a last resort then plea bargain.

a lot of what i'm saying depends on what u were charged with.

yeah these guys are right, talk to a lawyer, maybe someone in your current lawyer's firm specializes in healthcare policy and law. Applying to medical school is expensive and you want to know whether you have a shot legally.

Thanks to those who replied.

No, I am not convicted of a felony. I am trying to help a friend out by giving him more info, so will pass along this info to him. Thought you sdner's might be a good place to start.

LOL convicted felons cannot practice medicine. In most states, felons cannot even vote.

Originally posted by Cooper_Wriston
LOL convicted felons cannot practice medicine. In most states, felons cannot even vote.

Isnt that famous pediatric neurosurgeon at Hopkins a convicted felon? I thought he stabbed someone (not to perform surgery) and went to jail and such? Correct me if Im wrong.

So there might be hope after all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by solid snake

No, I am not convicted of a felony. I am trying to help a friend out by giving him more info, so will pass along this info to him. Thought you sdner's might be a good place to start.

So have your friend ever been convicted? I believe that the magic sentence is something like "Everybody is innocent until proven guilty." In case of someone who has not been proven guity......... the only place that he could be executed...... I mean .... crucified.... wait!.....be eutanized...yeah... that sounds right.... be eutanized without a conviction is......... right here...........

Oh, did I forget all those adcoms........... ? Better stay away from them too

Have a nigthmare.... I mean... nice dream everyone. :D

Gleevac, you're right. I remember reading an article about him in some news magazine a long time ago.

Also, I thought DUI's were usually misdemeanors unless you injure someone in the process.

Originally posted by Gleevec
Isnt that famous pediatric neurosurgeon at Hopkins a convicted felon? I thought he stabbed someone (not to perform surgery) and went to jail and such? Correct me if Im wrong.

you're not talking about ben carson, are you?

In his book "gifted hands", ben carson writes about a fight he had with a friend when he was a kid. as far as i remember, they were sitting around, started yelling, and he grabbed a knife. but he didn't stab his friend...he realized what he was about to do, dropped the knife, and ran home.

i believe it varies state by state, and then case by case

wyoming law is as follows

33‑26‑303. Requirements for granting license

XI (b) A person who has pled guilty to or has been convicted of a felony or any crime that is a felony under Wyoming law in any state or federal court or in any court of similar jurisdiction in another country may apply for licensure provided, the board may deny licensure based upon the plea or conviction alone.

A convicted felon will have a difficult time getting their DEA licence. I guess the question the admissions comm. will be asking itself is "do we want to invest one of our valuable (to society) spaces to a person that may not be able to fully realize the potential of their medical education." Medical school is so competitive. There are many quailifed applicants for each position. The admissions committee will be looking for something that breaks-out each applicant in unique and positive ways. Being convicted of a felony is an extreme negative and rightfully will send that applicant to bottom of the stack. Tell this person to investigate Caribbean medical schools (no offense to those students who are attending school there). If the country will issue the convicted felon a visa, then they might be able to attend there. I do not believe that a paragraph in the personal statement will compensate.

This is difficult for me to open up about, but I'm in a similar situation.

I am 30 now, but when I was 18 and 19, I was convicted of burglary and possession of marijuana, respectively. I grew up in a violently alcoholic family and left home at 13. I was a complete idiot and looked up to and hung around with gang members, so I did things to try to impress them. In the end, I was just being used, but I all but threw my life away in the process.

Since then, I swore to myself and to God that I would never do anything to harm another person again. These days, I am honest to a fault, and I can sleep at night.

I've gotten married, have raised children, and worked very diligently in everything I have attempted.

I went back to school and studied engineering physics. After 3 years of classes with a 3.9gpa, I discovered how much I love dentistry (I got to experience dentists in action through my business), and am now persuing that route. I am taking 18 credits of prerequisite courses now, and have straight A's so far while working 30 or so hours per week.

I have researched the state statutes, spoken to the board of health and dental licensure, and the DEA. The DEA's position is that if the state grants licensure, they would most likely not have an issue. The state says that there are no guarantees, but that this isn't the first time they've come across this. They say that they look at all of the circumstances, such as how long ago the offenses occured, whether the offenses were related to the practice of dentistry (fraud, practicing without a license, importing/distributing mass quantities of controlled substances), what I've accomplished since then, statements from friends (local dentists and college professors that are aware of my past), etc.

I am going to keep moving forward and try my honest best. I am planning on applying for clemency from the state so that I may have my civil rights restored. I may be taking this long journey only to be disappointed in the end, but if I don't try, I'll never know.

I realize that disclosure of this will certainly put my application on the bottom of the pile, but I am hoping that a very high gpa, good DAT scores, letters from dentists that know me and my past and still believe in me, and possibly clemency (although I still have to apply for this and I don't have any idea what the chances are) will get somebody to be willing to take a chance on me.

A guy can hope, right?

hey, does anyone know about stupid things we may have done while a minor? Technically, sealed records are just that, right?

Hey guys,

Well, found out my friend wasn't convicted, but pled guilty. Guess I need to search what TX has to say about this.

So any type of infraction against you puts you at a disadvantage when applying, it looks like. Can med school pull up or do a criminal check on someone records?

On the application, all it mentions is felony conviction, is that it? Do they ask for anything else because I can't remember correctly what else they ask.

It may have been pleaded down to an assault charge or aggravated assault (misdemeanors). If he was a famous pediatric neurosurgeon, chances are this was the case. (considering his contributions to society, etc)

Coops

Originally posted by SoulRFlare
In his book "gifted hands", ben carson writes about a fight he had with a friend when he was a kid. as far as i remember, they were sitting around, started yelling, and he grabbed a knife. but he didn't stab his friend...he realized what he was about to do, dropped the knife, and ran home.

That would make much more sense.

Coops

Originally posted by Cooper_Wriston
It may have been pleaded down to an assault charge or aggravated assault (misdemeanors). If he was a famous pediatric neurosurgeon, chances are this was the case. (considering his contributions to society, etc)

Coops

no, this was before he was a surgeon, and i think even before med school. dang, i cant even remember the guys name.

Originally posted by solid snake
Hey guys,

Well, found out my friend wasn't convicted, but pled guilty. Guess I need to search what TX has to say about this.

So any type of infraction against you puts you at a disadvantage when applying, it looks like. Can med school pull up or do a criminal check on someone records?

On the application, all it mentions is felony conviction, is that it? Do they ask for anything else because I can't remember correctly what else they ask.

Now that it looks more serious than I expected........

I believe that guilty plea is the same as conviction because in either case, your friend would have been sentenced by a judge to something.

In any application scenario from now on, your friend don't have anything to lose. If "don't ask, don't tell" loophole is not there, your friend will have no choice but to explain it, candidly, in a separate sheet of paper, keep fingers crossed and pray religoiusly. Fact or fiction, anyone can join the medical school admission sweepstakes regardlessly.

Your friend should have a copy of court disposition of his/her case readily available all the time. It is a verification that he/she has already been theoretically recycled. This document is available from the court that he/she went to. One can do-it-yourself request for it by surface mail. A copy from a court in Sacramento costs only $25. In case of very old case (older than 10 years?) the Recorders will give a certificate to verify that the record is no longer available.

I have seen alot of information which is just not true. I'm going to step out on the limb here and open myself up for so criticism from most of you but for that one person who just has to know if there is hope, there is.

I pledge guilty to a felony when I was 25yrs old. I will not go into detail because it's not for everyone to know my personal life. Everyone of us has done something or is doing something that if it was to come to the light of day would make them appear less of a citizen of the US or any other country for that matter. You just have not been caught yet.

Anyhow, I contacted the AMA on this issue. They in turn informed me that it would be based on the individual state and the medical schools themselves which I would apply. My action was to call the states which I have an interest in practicing medicine and explained my situation to them. The states that I did contact, informed me that it would be dependent on more than one factor such as how long ago the offense occured, the nature of the offense and the actions one has taken to rehabilitate themselves from the offense ever happening again.

As far as medical schools concerned, yeah, person's convicted of felonies are going to find it extremely difficult to gain admittance to medical schools. There are times that I want to give up and say that I should just look for other fields to go into. Some have told me that the appreciate my honesty.

My saying is that sometimes good people do bad things. It dosen't mean that the person can never correct the mistakes they make and learn from them becoming a better person.

Never let anyone tell you it can't be done. Right now we have persons convicted of felony that are judges and lawyers and doctors and so many other profession. Last time of my research, 3,000 MD's had felony convictions in the past. Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done because it can.

I think it's cool that some pple are really willing to put themselves out there a bit to give advice. that's a good thing to do.

Originally posted by SoulRFlare

Actually he did lunge the knife, but it hit the kids belt and broke, after which he ran home, locked himself in the bathroom and prayed to God to clense his soul of anger/temper.

As far as licensing, I have a buddy who is in the process of passing the bar exam/getting licensed to practice law - and the questions she has to answer and the info she has to provide is hella invasive. All I know is that they really research your @$$ before licensure.

Seems to me anyone with a felony in their past should get the judge who convicted them to write them an LOR. What better way to show rehabilitation. Everyone deserves a second chance.

Originally posted by Fenrezz
Seems to me anyone with a felony in their past should get the judge who convicted them to write them an LOR. What better way to show rehabilitation. Everyone deserves a second chance.

That's the court disposition that I know of. But I have just realized that my knowledge may apply to misdemeaner cases only. I don't know anything about felony.

In misdemeaner case, after the completion of all court requirements and thus a successful rehabilitation, a judge who reviews the case will grant a withdrawal of the guilty plea and declares the file closed to public. Theoretically, the unlucky one becomes as clean as a new born. But still, some memory just can't be erased from some brain, especially the memory that kills.

Fortunately, one can trust that most physicians are aware that only one mishap during a younger and vulnerable age does not always set a bad trend for the rest of a person's life.

i have a felony from when i was 13 (shoplifting over $100). anyway, the record was not automatically sealed, so i have to go to the courthouse and make an appointment to ask if it can be sealed. what a bunch of wasted effort... if only i had not been such an idiot in 8th grade!

haha, i feel really weird saying i'm applying to med school and i have a felony. most people would never imagine the two could happen to the same person. glad to hear other people are in the same situation.

Originally posted by LauraMac
i have a felony from when i was 13 (shoplifting over $100). anyway, the record was not automatically sealed, so i have to go to the courthouse and make an appointment to ask if it can be sealed. what a bunch of wasted effort... if only i had not been such an idiot in 8th grade!

haha, i feel really weird saying i'm applying to med school and i have a felony. most people would never imagine the two could happen to the same person. glad to hear other people are in the same situation.

I thought a felony was over $500, I guess I was wrong. What was the charge?

Originally posted by LUBDUBB
Actually he did lunge the knife, but it hit the kids belt and broke

Gifted hands, my @ss!! And they let this punk seperate conjoined twins at Johns Hopkins?! Next they'll try to put a rehabilitated cocaine addict in the white house...oh wait, they already have...:rolleyes:

Ewing, I sure hope that you were kidding regarding your Ben Carson comment. 'Cause if your weren't, then you obviously know nothing about him.

oh thanks for clarifying the story up, i dont know where i heard my misinformation from, but Im glad I got the real story from people who read the book.

thanks again.

Originally posted by evines
Ewing, I sure hope that you were kidding regarding your Ben Carson comment. 'Cause if your weren't, then you obviously know nothing about him.

Of course I'm kidding...not being a good stabber as a kid doesn't mean that you won't be an excellent pediatric neurosurgeon as an adult. I have huge respect for the guy...I was being funny.

Originally posted by ewing
Of course I'm kidding...not being a good stabber as a kid doesn't mean that you won't be an excellent pediatric neurosurgeon as an adult. I have huge respect for the guy...I was being funny.

Well, next time could you please label it as a joke so that those of us who are ******ed can understand?? ******ed people like to laugh too, OK??? How insensitive.:mad:

Originally posted by snowbear
I thought a felony was over $500, I guess I was wrong. What was the charge?

Maybe it's over $500 now, but back when I was getting into trouble it was only $100. I think that's a little drastic cause that's like 2 pairs of jeans or something. But anyway, it was a felony. What do you mean by what was the charge... a felony? Or does that mean something different? Wow, I think I get dumber by the day...

I mean, was it a specific kind of theft, like petty theft?

Originally posted by LauraMac
Maybe it's over $500 now, but back when I was getting into trouble it was only $100. I think that's a little drastic cause that's like 2 pairs of jeans or something. But anyway, it was a felony. What do you mean by what was the charge... a felony? Or does that mean something different? Wow, I think I get dumber by the day...
Originally posted by snowbear
I mean, was it a specific kind of theft, like petty theft?

My guess is 750.360 Larceny; places of abode, work, storage, conveyance, worship and other places.

http://www.michiganlegislature.org/mileg.asp?page=getObject&objName=mcl-750-360&highlight=

This charge doesn't list any lower limit to the amount stolen, making any theft in a home, shop, etc. a felony. This is just a guess though, and its pretty amazing that they threw felony charges at a 13 year old.

~AS1~

I'm from MI, stealing over $100 is a felony. Stealing less than $100 is a misdemeanor. I can't site any laws, but I've heard about kids shoplifting as I came up through the ranks.

Originally posted by DrBodacious
I'm from MI, stealing over $100 is a felony. Stealing less than $100 is a misdemeanor. I can't site any laws, but I've heard about kids shoplifting as I came up through the ranks.

http://www.michiganlegislature.org/mileg.asp?page=getObject&objName=mcl-750-356&highlight=

According to the lawbooks its a misdemeanor up to $1,000. There are a good number of situations where any theft is considered a felony, however, so a person in such a situation could be charged with either the misdemeanor, or the greater felony charge.

~AS1~

Originally posted by AlternateSome1
This is just a guess though, and its pretty amazing that they threw felony charges at a 13 year old.

~AS1~

For the sake of his own career, some fisherman would try every way he could to inflate the value of any fish he catches. You know, a 13 year old could grow up to rob the federal reserve bank someday. If I was a fisherman, I might want to make sure that I would be some allstar attorney general or chief of Scotland Yard before that happens.

I wonder how do you all feel knowing that you are going to be some gigantic fish very soon.

Regarding petty theft vs grand theft, isn't it amazing that the difference to the amount of only one dollar could alter someone's life drastically.

Originally posted by calcrew14
For the sake of his own career, some fisherman would try every way he could to inflate the value of any fish he catches. You know, a 13 year old could grow up to rob the federal reserve bank someday. If I was a fisherman, I might want to make sure that I would be some allstar attorney general or chief of Scotland Yard before that happens.

I wonder how do you all feel knowing that you are going to be some gigantic fish very soon.

Regarding petty theft vs grand theft, isn't it amazing that the difference to the amount of only one dollar could alter someone's life drastically.

I don't have any idea what you are talking about. Are you high?

~AS1~

Originally posted by LUBDUBB
Actually he did lunge the knife, but it hit the kids belt and broke, after which he ran home, locked himself in the bathroom and prayed to God to clense his soul of anger/temper.

that's right...thanks for the correction

I don't have any idea what you are talking about. Are you high?

~AS1~

I was talking about life in general. Just don't feel safe to say it directly. If I was a law enforcer, I might prefer to catch/punish a doctor shop-lifting rather than a 13 year old. If I was an IRS agent, I would prefer to audit a doctor rather than a 13 year old. But if I had to prey on a 13 year old, I would have to proove that the job that I do worth some kind of awards or promotion.

Thanks for the reply. I am glad that you did't assume that I was talking about some future Attorney General or FBI Chief. I could have been in trouble that way.

The way it went, instead of high, I must be a little low. ;)

http://www.michiganlegislature.org/mileg.asp?page=getObject&objName=mcl-750-356&highlight=

According to the lawbooks its a misdemeanor up to $1,000. There are a good number of situations where any theft is considered a felony, however, so a person in such a situation could be charged with either the misdemeanor, or the greater felony charge.

~AS1~
\

I stand corrected. I read that law and this part makes no sense:

(2) If any of the following apply, the person is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 10 years or a fine of not more than $15,000.00 or 3 times the value of the property stolen, whichever is greater, or both imprisonment and a fine:

(a) The property stolen has a value of $20,000.00 or more.

If the property value is $20,000 or more, that would a minimum of $60,000 for the maximum fine, why include the $15,000 part??

Originally posted by mmapcpro
What as b) and c), etc.?

(b) The person violates subsection (3)(a) and has 2 or more prior convictions for committing or attempting to commit an offense under this section. For purposes of this subdivision, however, a prior conviction does not include a conviction for a violation or attempted violation of subsection (4)(b) or (5).

(3) If any of the following apply, the person is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 5 years or a fine of not more than $10,000.00 or 3 times the value of the property stolen, whichever is greater, or both imprisonment and a fine:

(a) The property stolen has a value of $1,000.00 or more but less than $20,000.00.

Originally posted by DrBodacious
\

I stand corrected. I read that law and this part makes no sense:

If the property value is $20,000 or more, that would a minimum of $60,000 for the maximum fine, why include the $15,000 part??

This makes a lot more sense if you keep reading. If you have two prior convictions and get caught stealing $2,000, then they can give you a max fine of $15,000. If you get caught stealing $17,000 with two priors, then the max fine is $51,000.

~AS1~